News Forum - Malaysia launches new cheaper, easier digital nomad visa

Thaiger

Hot on the heels of Thailand’s grab at attracting long-term residents through their new LTR visa, Malaysia has just released a digital nomad visa option that appears to be far cheaper and easier to qualify for. The De Rantau Programme will go live on October 1 and will offer a 12-month digital nomad pass. The website states the goal of establishing Malaysia as the top spot for remote workers amongst the ASEAN members while making itself a digital hub and boosting tourism along the way. The programme will charge 1,000 ringgit – just over 8,000 baht – as a processing […]

The story Malaysia launches new cheaper, easier digital nomad visa as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Thailand's leaders overvalue their attraction to foreigners by demanding salary expectations that few digital nomads would be able to prove or even willingly do so.  They still don't allow them to own their own homes unless it's a condo and they still require ridiculous hoops to be jumped through.

Malaysia, on the other hand, while it restricts foreigners from owning lower-priced property, does allow foreign ownership.  The Malaysia My Second Home program is very successful in bringing in retirees and those who wish to own a vacation home in the country.

Once again we are left with the never-ending evidence that Thailand just really doesn't like farang living with them.

• Like 2

Sounds like a winner. 

Know your value as a place, know your place in the market, set the right conditions to tap into the market. 

Be interesting to see the take up rate over the next year.

• Like 2

wow, that sound great. I have just paid for my yearly business visa here in thailand, but once that is done, I might move to kuala lumpur then. Very nice that countries are being smart and picking up on thr digital nomad trend.

Shame Thailand is not joining..but maybe one day

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Janneman said:

Interesting. Live and work in Malaysia, and every now and then visit Thailand. No hassle, just an on-arrival tourist visa.

Best is live near the border e.g. Padang Besar, daytime go to Hatyai for some R&R with Thai babes and night time come back home to Msia

On 9/21/2022 at 6:18 AM, MrStretch said:

Thailand's leaders overvalue their attraction to foreigners by demanding salary expectations that few digital nomads would be able to prove or even willingly do so.  They still don't allow them to own their own homes unless it's a condo and they still require ridiculous hoops to be jumped through.

Malaysia, on the other hand, while it restricts foreigners from owning lower-priced property, does allow foreign ownership.  The Malaysia My Second Home program is very successful in bringing in retirees and those who wish to own a vacation home in the country.

Once again we are left with the never-ending evidence that Thailand just really doesn't like farang living with them.

Overvalued 100%