News Forum - Moon landing: can the space industry revive the Thai economy?

Thaiger

The National Innovation Agency urged citizens to understand that the solution to saving the struggling economy may not be found in Thailand, but on the moon. The agency revealed a new launch pad on Friday for the space industry to use in shuttle missions such as a lunar orbit that Thailand has been dreaming of and striving for in recent years. Now. with a target goal date of seven years from now, the Thai government hope to send a satellite into space and orbit around the moon. They’ve launched a new startup incubator called “Space Economy: Lifting Off 2022” which […]

The story Moon landing: can the space industry revive the Thai economy? as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Haha 2

It’ll never get off the ground once superstition is factored in. It’ll come down to lucky numbers, the right day, etc. If the launch is delayed due to say weather conditions it may be another year before the right day comes up. 

• Haha 1

Memo... Thailand cannot join the tech world and be a leader until they are willing to change their modus operandi... leave behind their stone age operations and update or remain where they are and dream

All these farang come to Thailand and marry poor uneducated women (my wife is one) and then can't fathom that there are well educated people that are experts in their fields

But hey, at least they all feel better about themselves bashing the country over and over!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Marc26 said:

All these farang come to Thailand and marry poor uneducated women (my wife is one) and then can't fathom that there are well educated people that are experts in their fields

But hey, at least they all feel better about themselves bashing the country over and over!

To say the Thai women who marry farangs are uneducated is itself insulting, a gross exaggeration, and is something only a farang married to an uneducated Thai would say. Then to bang on about how the commenters are insulting Thai education and intelligence when there is no indication that the commenters are indicting either...  It's incongruent and stupifying at best. In fact, there are Thai nationals working at NASA today, and the countries healthsciences capabilities are indeed very good. That said, what you do see in the comments is well worn pragmatic skepticism of the Thai government's capabilities to bootstrap a nascent industry as complex as aerospace. This is just more Thai government throwing the proverbial spaghetti against the wall to see what sticks. Anyone who has been here long enough knows the government likely has neither the financial capital, patience or political will to make it happen. And as far as someone partnering with the government on such a strategic venture... that's a longshot at best. Thailand is really good at three things... farming, fishing and hospitality/entertainment, and bridesmaids when it comes to most everything else. There are many reason for the other Thai industries having been left at the alter, one of them is certainly rampant government incompetence and corruption. So yeah, it sounds ridiculous to think anything should change with aerospace. But hey, good luck trying. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Cabra said:

To say the Thai women who marry farangs are uneducated is itself insulting, a gross exaggeration, and is something only a farang married to an uneducated Thai would say. Then to bang on about how the commenters are insulting Thai education and intelligence when there is no indication that the commenters are indicting either...  It's incongruent and stupifying at best. In fact, there are Thai nationals working at NASA today, and the countries healthsciences capabilities are indeed very good. That said, what you do see in the comments is well worn pragmatic skepticism of the Thai government's capabilities to bootstrap a nascent industry as complex as aerospace. This is just more Thai government throwing the proverbial spaghetti against the wall to see what sticks. Anyone who has been here long enough knows the government likely has neither the financial capital, patience or political will to make it happen. And as far as someone partnering with the government on such a strategic venture... that's a longshot at best. Thailand is really good at three things... farming, fishing and hospitality/entertainment, and bridesmaids when it comes to most everything else. There are many reason for the other Thai industries having been left at the alter, one of them is certainly rampant government incompetence and corruption. So yeah, it sounds ridiculous to think anything should change with aerospace. But hey, good luck trying. 

I guess you missed the part where I wrote "then can't fathom that there are well educated people that are experts in their fields"

13 hours ago, Marc26 said:

I was about to something similar, they have a very narrow view of Thai people, their opinion is biased by the uneducated Thais they mix with.

Example, a farang was telling me his wife squats down on to her heels when she eats, "You know, the way Thais eat".

I told him the Thais I know over the last thirty five years have always use tables and chairs to eat on just like us farangs.

I suppose if they marry uneducated Thai women and spend most of their time in the back of beyond then they will have a very poor opinion of Thailands capabilities. 

On 9/18/2022 at 7:16 PM, Thaiger said:

The National Innovation Agency urged citizens to understand that the solution to saving the struggling economy may not be found in Thailand, but on the moon. The agency revealed a new launch pad on Friday for the space industry to use in shuttle missions such as a lunar orbit that Thailand has been dreaming of and striving for in recent years. Now. with a target goal date of seven years from now, the Thai government hope to send a satellite into space and orbit around the moon. They’ve launched a new startup incubator called “Space Economy: Lifting Off 2022” which […]

It is good to have a dream. Hope it does not become a nightmare