News Forum - Gunman shot dead after robbing 2.1 million baht gold necklaces

Thaiger

A gunman was shot dead in a shootout with a storeowner after robbing his shop of gold necklaces worth 2.1 million baht in the Isaan province of Nakhon Ratchasima, or Korat. Thirty-five-year-old Prakit Kiawsen held up a gold store at 7.50pm yesterday inside a Lotus supermarket in the Pak Chong district of Korat. He grabbed 34 gold necklaces, worth about 2.1 million baht, and made a getaway. Store staff yelled for help which alerted the shop owner, Weerawat, who allegedly grabbed a gun and chased after the thief. Weerawat told police he saw Prakit in front of the shopping mall […]

The story Gunman shot dead after robbing 2.1 million baht gold necklaces as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Given the open air feel of many gold shops in Thailand (and just the general lack of good sense of allowing anyone inside without ID - wearing mask, hats and sunglasses sometimes - with such close proximity to vast amounts of gold inventory) this type of crime is now getting out of hand. Turing these events into the shoot out at the OK corral is eventually going to get innocents killed. The shops need to rethink all their security protocols. 

6 minutes ago, Cabra said:

Given the open air feel of many gold shops in Thailand (and just the general lack of good sense of allowing anyone inside without ID - wearing mask, hats and sunglasses sometimes - with such close proximity to vast amounts of gold inventory) this type of crime is now getting out of hand. Turing these events into the shoot out at the OK corral is eventually going to get innocents killed. The shops need to rethink all their security protocols. 

Oh please! I often like to browse the showcases as a free citizen, I've no problem with that palaver at airports, I guarantee less people will make spontaneous purchases if they have to go through that crap. You can't ask people to remove hats and sunnies either, i must admit i do but what about the burka.

6 minutes ago, Mandy said:

Oh please! I often like to browse the showcases as a free citizen, I've no problem with that palaver at airports, I guarantee less people will make spontaneous purchases if they have to go through that crap. You can't ask people to remove hats and sunnies either, i must admit i do but what about the burka.

Please, it's not hard to show ID to view highend inventory (you do it to test drive a car). And a simple "man trap" at the entrance is neither difficult or offensive.  It's actually SOP for many shops outside of Asia. As it stands today the shops are easy targets, and this type of crime is on the rise. So either do nothing and nothing changes, or get smart.

53 minutes ago, Cabra said:

Please, it's not hard to show ID to view highend inventory (you do it to test drive a car). And a simple "man trap" at the entrance is neither difficult or offensive.  It's actually SOP for many shops outside of Asia. As it stands today the shops are easy targets, and this type of crime is on the rise. So either do nothing and nothing changes, or get smart.

Thailand never learns from the example of others, you know that.  They plough their own way and problems continue, sometimes for decades. Another example is the flooding issues, that others have solved and that Thailand  continues to struggle with . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pinetree said:

Thailand never learns from the example of others, you know that.  They plough their own way and problems continue, sometimes for decades. Another example is the flooding issues, that others have solved and that Thailand  continues to struggle with . 

So very true.