News Forum - US rail companies reach initial agreement to stop strike

Thaiger

After all night deliberations, US president Joe Biden announced that a crippling railroad union strike has been avoided. The president says a tentative agreement has been reached to avert disruptions to US supply chains in the run-up to midterm elections. Biden says he was personally calling into the negotiations as late as 9 pm on Wednesday. The result of those negotiations is an initial resolution to allow a 24 per cent wage increase between the years 2020 to 2024. The agreement would see an immediate payout to railway workers. The president called the agreement a “big win for America” and […]

The story US rail companies reach initial agreement to stop strike as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Fanta said:

Legal extortion. 

How though??

I've been trying to read and understand it as much as possible and I think I understand but not entirely 

Their time off is based on hours accrued

So many companies do that

I know my sister's does 

A big complaint is they have to be on call

Ok, I read into that and it's not all they different of a schedule than my brother had as a cop

And then they get a 24% raise

Sorry but not a lot of people get annual or however many year raises 

PS....They don't have to work that job if they don't like the terms....

Some jobs aren't for everyone.

25 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

How though??

I don’t know jack squat about the railways and pay structure etc so perhaps I spoke too soon. I was reacting to a 24% pay rise that given to avert a potentially crippling and politically damaging strike. 

If you have several companies join together to fix prices or agree on wages "that is collusion and anti-trust"  

If you have mafia thugs come to your business and demand you pay them money, to insure your business stays open "that is extortion"

If you have the local police come to your establishment and expect a "donation" in order to guarantee the safety of your business and not have it subjected to constant inspections "that is bribery"

Have the workers join together and threaten your business if you don't give them money is euphamistically called "collective bargaining. 

It is the exact same tactic, pay me or you will be harmed but somehow it is sanctimonious while the other identical actions are criminal. 

• Like 1

Railways have been profitable for a while now. They have the money to give. The money wasn't even the primary issue; it was the scheduling and engineers being required be on call 7 days a week. 

5 hours ago, Cabra said:

Railways have been profitable for a while now. They have the money to give. The money wasn't even the primary issue; it was the scheduling and engineers being required be on call 7 days a week. 

But they don't have to do that job

They can quit and get another job 

Many people have aspects of their job they don't like

They either accept it and stay or don't and quit 

8 hours ago, Fanta said:

I don’t know jack squat about the railways and pay structure etc so perhaps I spoke too soon. I was reacting to a 24% pay rise that given to avert a potentially crippling and politically damaging strike. 

Oh so we are of the same thoughts 

59 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

But they don't have to do that job

They can quit and get another job 

Many people have aspects of their job they don't like

They either accept it and stay or don't and quit 

Appears they won't have to deal with it, or quit. The scheduling and attendance rules where part of the latest negotiated agreement going to the rank and file for a vote. 

2 minutes ago, Cabra said:

Appears they won't have to deal with it, or quit. The scheduling and attendance rules where part of the latest negotiated agreement going to the rank and file for a vote. 

I'm not a fan of Unions

I come from a family of cops and have a lot of friends that are firefighters 

Seems all they ever do are in a perpetual cycle of demands that most people don't get in other jobs

Most moral Joe's aren't yelling and screaming for yearly raises not based on any sort of performance 

I worked for the city all through University 

The full time guys were all union

These were general maintenance guys

Not skilled workers like plumbers or electricians

The amount of time they spent yelling and screaming every day in the office was absurd 

When they should have been thankful they had these jobs that required no skill

Not saying these train employees have no skill, many obviously do(and they are well paid for it)