News Forum - Monkeys barge into new Phuket resort

Thaiger

The monkeys are coming! Well, at least they are coming to one new resort in Phuket’s town of Chalong. The management team at the Noku Phuket resort says that monkeys have been seen on the resort’s grounds and tried to get into the guest’s rooms. Wildlife officers inspected the resort on Tuesday, with the chief of the Wildlife Education Centre at the Khao Phra Thaew Non-Hunting Area spelling out a few rules for guests. The chief, Pongchat Chouehorm, said… “They must absolutely not give the monkeys any food.” Pongchat said guests should not leave waste outside of the room while […]

The story Monkeys barge into new Phuket resort as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I  checked into our resort in Khao Sok and was instructed to keep all the windows locked because the monkeys would come and steal everything

That was a 1st!!!   :)

The Monkeys from Big Buddha, I think. They are also be seen down to Kata every now and then. Following the trail that goes from Kata up the hill to the big buddha road

8 hours ago, Guest1 said:

The Monkeys from Big Buddha, I think. They are also be seen down to Kata every now and then. Following the trail that goes from Kata up the hill to the big buddha road

Must be the Monk Keys

I guess this is encroachment - they thought it was a good idea to build a resort on the edge of a green area,,,,,

I've lived in an area with monkeys, and it is a serious problem, hazard, even. They can undo  doors and windows, they get through netting exploiting even the tiniest gap in defences... they even undo bolts and catches and once inside with go through everything looking for food ....they can open bags, fridges, drawers and unlike most burglars they frequently take a dump whilst doing so. 

1 hour ago, Giltee said:

Perhaps kulling some of them may act as a deterrent as well as the trapping, sterilising and moving them to another area. 

Culling won't work as other monkeys will just come in their place. Monkeys are intelligent and will ha=ve =to be taught this is not an area they can profit from. Exactly how they will do that, I'm not sure.

As I suspect this was an area they already used, moving relocating them may only work temporarily.