Need advice regarding obtaining Education Visa

Thai-Fan

Hey I need some guidance on this please.

I entered Thailand with a Tourist Visa a few months ago which I extended to 90 days while I was there. While living in Thailand I was self-learning the language which interested me a lot and fell in love with the culture, the people and the food - I would really love to go back and live there longer.

Currently I'm in Vietnam, and have plans to go to Cambodia soon. My question is, what is the best way I can obtain an Education Visa so I can live in Thailand for a year to study? I've done a bit of research today and it looks like the correct way to do it is to visit the Thai Embassy in Cambodia and apply for a Tourist Visa there, then later while in Thailand apply to change to Tourist Visa into an Education Visa (is that correct?).

Will I have difficulty being issued a Thailand Tourist Visa in Cambodia, considering my original one expired just weeks ago? Any other advice you can give me on this? I'm aware that I will need proof of a ticket of onward travel for the visa application. Would showing the embassy staff an app on my phone with my money be valid as proof of funds for the stay?

https://phnompenh.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/tourist-visa-tr?page=5d73b14415e39c46f40076a1&menu=5d73b14415e39c46f40076a2

Edited by Thai-Fan

15 minutes ago, Thai-Fan said:

While living in Thailand I was self-learning the language which interested me a lot and fell in love with the culture, the people and the food - I would really love to go back and live there longer.

What is your nationality and age?

Do you really want to learn the language or just stay longer?

They may request a printed bank statement as proof of funds.

You could apply direct for the ED visa in Cambodia as opposed to the TV.
https://phnompenh.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/non-immigrant-ed-visa?page=5d73b14415e39c46f40076a1&menu=5d73b14415e39c46f40076a2

You could as you mention also apply to change to the ED Visa in Thailand.
https://bangkok.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2022C1_03.pdf

36, British.

I genuinely am interested and am learning the language. I might be interested in staying longer than a year depending on how the year goes, if I'm granted the visa.

Maybe I could apply for a ED Visa initially but I haven't researched schools/organisations properly or contacted any yet. Not sure that would be viable to do emailing them from Cambodia hoping for fast responses.

Edited by Thai-Fan

@Faz

Hi, got a couple more questions if you have time.

First question: would it beneficial to mention about my intention to apply for an Education Visa in future to the staff at the Thailand Embassy (when applying for a Tourist Visa)? Would it help or hinder my application or not affect it at all?

(I was thinking it could be wise to mention if they ask why I am applying for a second tourist visa in a short timeframe)

Second question: (from the website)

"Required Documents

1. Passport or travel document with validity not less than 6 months
  2. Visa application form completely filled out and signed
  3. Recent 3.5 cm x 4.5 cm photograph of the applicant
  4. Evidence of travel in and out of Thailand (i.e. air ticket receipt paid in full)
  5. Evidence of adequate finance for the entire duration of stay in Thailand (at least 1,000 USD per person or 2,000 USD per family)"

I understand they need to see an outward ticket, but why a ticket into Thailand? I was planning on crossing a land border, does that mean I have to book a Coach ticket online to show them before making the visa application? Or is this something they won't really care about?

Thank you.

One more thing...

After making the visa application, how quickly can it be completed/rejected? Can I expedite the application or is that not possible?

Will they phone or email to tell me when the visa application has been reviewed and completed or do I have to chase-up with them?

7 hours ago, Thai-Fan said:

I understand they need to see an outward ticket, but why a ticket into Thailand? I was planning on crossing a land border, does that mean I have to book a Coach ticket online to show them before making the visa application? Or is this something they won't really care about?

Unless you plan to walk from the Thai Embassy to the nearest Thai land border, then you need to provide a travel ticket.

7 hours ago, Thai-Fan said:

One more thing...

After making the visa application, how quickly can it be completed/rejected? Can I expedite the application or is that not possible?

Will they phone or email to tell me when the visa application has been reviewed and completed or do I have to chase-up with them?

Visa application times

Open Monday to Friday, except Embassy holidays. Please see 2022 Embassy holidays at this link (click)
          09:00–10:00 AM     document submission (no appointment required)
          02:00–03:00 PM     visa collection

Visa processing times (including day of submission and day of pickup)*
          3 working days for Tourist visas, Non-Immigrant Labour visas for Cambodian migrant workers (for example, if you apply on Monday, you can pick up your passport on Wendesday)
          5 working days for other Non-Immigrant visas (for example, if you apply on Monday, you can pick up your passport on the next Monday)

There is no option for expedited visa consideration. Faster visa processing than the timeline outlined above is possible only for medical or family emergency cases. The applicant must provide proof of urgent need to travel such as medical or death certificate. 

https://phnompenh.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/steps-to-take-for-traveling-to-thailand-as-a-foreigner?page=5d73b14415e39c46f40076a1&menu=5d73b14415e39c46f40076a2