News Forum - Long Term Resident (LTR) Visa Explained

Thaiger

https://youtu.be/6XYh5jo7Ebo   Thailand introduces a new 10-year long-term resident visa for foreigners, Thailand’s new ‘Long-Term Resident (LTR)’ visa, which offers multiple benefits for holders, including a 10-year visa (extendable) and permission to work in the kingdom. Today we have compiled all the information you need to know in this video! “Long-Term Resident (LTR )” is a program that provides a range of tax and non-tax benefits to enhance the country’s attractiveness as a regional hub for living and doing business for ‘high-potential’ foreigners. This new visa program is expected to attract new foreign residents, technologies, and talents contributing to domestic […]

The story Long Term Resident (LTR) Visa Explained as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Haha 1

I don't mean to be negative but It's quite impressive that they managed to add a condition for the digital nomad category that makes most people ineligible: DNs tend to work for themselves (especially if they are highly skilled!) or smaller/mid companies..

The target figures they quote are just wishful thinking, a large majority of applicants will be people already in Thailand anyway on other visa types..

• Like 2

This is just a pipe dream. What do they really have to offer the wealthy compared to all other destinations out there?  I can imagine the only wealth will be those who can't get accepted elsewhere. Russian generals on the run, mafia types and other shady characters. They don't seem to have any idea what a digital nomad is either. 

It's so frustrating because, as I understand it, they just want people who are going to spend $28000 a year in the local economy. A figure easily achievable for a lot of real digital nomads who actually would be attracted to live in Thailand. Looking at the other offers out there for digital nomads right now that don't have such stringent criteria  Thailand doesn't stand a chance.

As for talented tech types, are they really going to choose Bangkok over Singapore?

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, ThaiEyes said:

What is this “BOL website” they speak of with the PDF explaining LTR details? I’d like to see it. Anyone have a clue?

I know I’m quoting myself 555, but I’m specifically interested in the qualifying pension part, because I can do that, but they haven’t said how they determine if it’s “qualified”. Does it have to run through embassy/consulate verification or what? 
Also this 50k baht I can handle, especially if I don’t have to see the inside of an immigration office for 10 years! Then I read about the catch… you essentially have to have your qualifications rechecked after 5 years, which to me isn’t really a problem either, but are they then going to try to get another 50k baht at that time?

This does have sneaky written all over it and as everyone here knows, things could change at any time during that 5 or 10 years. Kinda scary really. 
I’m just looking for a viable alternative to my current marriage visa extension situation every year with all its paperwork BS 😅

1 hour ago, ThaiEyes said:

What is this “BOL website” they speak of with the PDF explaining LTR details? I’d like to see it. Anyone have a clue?

Bureau of Immigration? Full name is mentioned in the video, I'm too lazy to listen to all that ... again.

And for the renewal after 5 years? Dont you worry. Just invest your 1 million dollars and everything will be fine 🤭🤭🤭

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Janneman said:

Bureau of Immigration? Full name is mentioned in the video, I'm too lazy to listen to all that ... again.

And for the renewal after 5 years? Dont you worry. Just invest your 1 million dollars and everything will be fine 🤭🤭🤭

I’m not investing anything. Just using the high pension option. I do qualify for that. But as always with these guys, the devil is in the details 😈

I'm sure that they have done extensive research including:

• Looking at alternatives offered by other countries trying to encourage the same demographic's to ensure this scheme will be successful.
  • Future proofed the conditions to give LTR applicants a sense of security over the 10 year period.   
  • Checking the monetary and business requirements to ensure that they are realistic and attractive.

Or maybe not 🤣🤣🤣

I plan to retire in Thailand in about 5 years so hopefully something suitable will be in place by then.

• Haha 1