News Forum - Thailand to apply alcohol tax to non-alcoholic beer

Thaiger

15 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

Alcohol is already too expensive. I call BS to this claim. It's all about money in their pockets nothing more and nothing less. Kids will drink no matter what.

Here's the next problem these nitwits will create. 

The criminal elements will simply add un-assayed much cheaper bootleg to the other pointlessly illegal drugs, which will make up for the lost cannabis revenues (who's finally, beginning to see the counterintuitive logic of my tax SENSIBLY, control, educate and legalise it all argument?)

As it is proposed, we'll see ALL ages of Thai people dying and going blind en masse after shabeen drinking sessions, as happens in Pakistan. 

Not to mention even worse and more public health outcomes, more violence, more road deaths, more alcoholism.

And the public will drink on!

The elites, who culturally cannot abide critical debate around any public issue of importance to the national wellbeing, and pass draconian misery inducing laws that never apply to them, are morally bankrupt moralistic morons. 

Edited by Venusianhart

15 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

Alcohol is already too expensive. I call BS to this claim. It's all about money in their pockets nothing more and nothing less. Kids will drink no matter what.

I'm no longer able to consume any alcohol at all, due to way too much fun in my youth! This includes alcohol free beer as it does contain small traces, it does have an extra process to remove the alcohol giving way for brewers to make excuses for the exorbitant price. Now taxing this will in my opinion encourage those that were not drinking and driving to choose the cheaper option of full strength beer. Makes absolutely no sense to me people!😳

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Thommo said:

The logic escapes me

I am calling this a knee jerk reaction from the police just raiding the Chiang Rai club that had supposedly 300 underage drinkers in it. Some other small instances say like the Mountain B club that had a fire as there were deaths of under age kids there as well and a few more that are irrelevant. 

Let's see, they want to reduce teen alcohol consumption so they're going to tax non-alcoholic beer.  Anywhere else they would see the total lack of wisdom in that, but this is Thailand...

1 hour ago, Venusianhart said:

Here's the next problem these nitwits will create. 

The criminal elements will simply add un-assayed much cheaper bootleg to the other pointlessly illegal drugs, which will make up for the lost cannabis revenues (who's finally, beginning to see the counterintuitive logic of my tax SENSIBLY, control, educate and legalise it all argument?)

As it is proposed, we'll see ALL ages of Thai people dying and going blind en masse after shabeen drinking sessions, as happens in Pakistan. 

Not to mention even worse and more public health outcomes, more violence, more road deaths, more alcoholism.

And the public will drink on!

The elites, who culturally cannot abide critical debate around any public issue of importance to the national wellbeing, and pass draconian misery inducing laws that never apply to them, are morally bankrupt moralistic morons. 

Could be with the non immigrants and poorer kids, or they turn to a cheaper cheap cheap lao khao that enentualy makes them go blind or ruins their organs after a short while. I have seen more poorer Thai folk ruined by this alcohol than any other.. That stuff is toxic. Lets see how this works as in how much more tax this idiot is going to propose to instate. This guy is trying to look like the male snow white and get brownie points and become the equivalent of a Thai Saint.. You are correct, these sort of laws don't affect or effect them elites one little bit.

1 hour ago, Mandy said:

I'm no longer able to consume any alcohol at all, due to way too much fun in my youth! This includes alcohol free beer as it does contain small traces, it does have an extra process to remove the alcohol giving way for brewers to make excuses for the exorbitant price. Now taxing this will in my opinion encourage those that were not drinking and driving to choose the cheaper option of full strength beer. Makes absolutely no sense to me people!😳

Yeah, at least you had fun at one time and can remember the good times. I will try to drink to the last day of my last breathe, but I only do it a couple days a week max, or if have someone in Thailand visting me then more often but not every day being for the time of their short stay. You are correct, if the tax is too high and dents them, then they will shift to the ultimate rot gutt Khao Lao or cheapest whicky or rum.

What a clown show, how can you apply an alcohol tax to non alcoholic beer when it is supposed to be based on % of alcohol x volume.

I guess this means imported items will also get hiked up!! Thailand already has one of the highest excise, duty & tax rates on the planet for imported alcoholic beverages, see below. 

USA, France, Italy, Chile and other countries under WTO agreement 390.46% 

Australia 294.92%

New Zealand 275.81%

This is why it costs you around double or triple what you are used to paying for a glass or bottle of wine in a Restaurant in Thailand and not because the management have applied anhuge mark up!!!!

20 hours ago, palooka said:

Pepsi and Coke next.  Make a lot more money.

Of course - after all, they are often used as mixers for alcoholic drinks.

• Like 1

I dont drink and am repulsed by drinking. 

In particular the behaviour of drunks and the damage they cause to society. 

I say tax the hell out of booze and pump all that money into education programs for alcohol awareness the youth.

The old boys are a lost cause. They drink themselves to an early grave anyways. 

Don't care if I upset anyone. Get off the booze. You'll be doing yourself and society a favour. 

• Haha 1

Just another desperate grab for much needed revenue like the vaunted "entry" tax Meanwhile inflation is devastating many Thai families. Next will be a VAT increase, which is due to return to the pre Covid rate of 10% in September2023. However when the coffers are looking empty, then bringing that 10% forward by at least 6 months or more will be very tempting. TL is pricing itself out of the tourist market to the benefit of its neighbours. 

4 hours ago, Rip said:

I dont drink and am repulsed by drinking. 

In particular the behaviour of drunks and the damage they cause to society. 

I say tax the hell out of booze and pump all that money into education programs for alcohol awareness the youth.

The old boys are a lost cause. They drink themselves to an early grave anyways. 

Don't care if I upset anyone. Get off the booze. You'll be doing yourself and society a favour. 

I appreciated your tolerance to others. Because a small percentage of people who drink cannot control themselves, everybody has to suffer?

You want to apply that same logic to anything else? Some people cannot control themselves in cars, so punish everybody who drives a car/bike?

Some people are obese due to lack of selfcontrol or too lazy to cook healthy,  so punish everybody who consumes food? Etc etc. 

Glad you are not in charge, though naturally everone entitled to their own opinion. Unless you wish to restrict that too.

• Like 2

Insane logic,

Non-alcoholic beer is designed so people can enjoy a beer without consuming alcohol, this is a good thing.

So tax non-alcoholic beer to discourage people from drinking alcoholic beer?

To add to the insanity the tax is an alcohol tax placed on a non-alcoholic product. 

Why not put a fat tax on fruit and vegetables because eating these healthy foods may entice someone into eating MacDonald's or Burger King.