News Forum - Hike on traffic fines delayed, but ticket prices will be consistant

Thaiger

Writing news in Thailand frequently means announcing something and then the next day announcing the opposite. And true to form, the new major hike in penalty fines for traffic violations announced before the weekend and scheduled to go into effect yesterday… have been retracted. But when they do go into effect, repeat offenders will be further penalised, and a new system will ensure fines are consistent across all of Thailand. Saying that more time is required to properly get the word out about the new fees, the deputy director of the Royal Thai Police’s Traffic Operations Centre announced that they […]

The story Hike on traffic fines delayed, but ticket prices will be consistant as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

properly get the word out about the new fees,

Why not make an effort to get the word out about basic traffic safety. Education is the only thing that'll work.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Faz said:

'Ticket prices will be consistent'.

Would that be 'with' or 'without' a receipt?

To be fair, they have done it before.

In my early days I was frequently picking up 200 Baht cash on the spot fines on a journey between Buriram and Pattaya. Now it is a rare event, replaced by speed cameras and the occasional check point where tickets will be issued for 4/500 Baht (can't remember which).

11 minutes ago, Chaimai said:

To be fair, they have done it before.

In my early days I was frequently picking up 200 Baht cash on the spot fines on a journey between Buriram and Pattaya. Now it is a rare event, replaced by speed cameras and the occasional check point where tickets will be issued for 4/500 Baht (can't remember which).

My point exactly.

Whilst these amended fines may be issued at 'official' police checkpoints and receipts given, the 'unofficial' checkpoints will not enforce the new fines, taking whatever little you offer, no receipt, and straight into their own pockets.

Corruption corrupts any law enforcement policies.

• Like 1

Wife just got one in the mail today. 500 baht 112 kph. Seems they have added a sneaky little underpass radar just after the big radar sign that goes across the super highway here. Glad its only 500.

• Like 1