Liz Truss New UK PM....

Faraday

Resize_20220906_054240_0377.jpg.6b8a58ab48dd76f38ba2a4c33f242a75.jpg

"Liz Truss has won the contest to replace Boris Johnson as Conservative Party leader and prime minister."

"The foreign secretary beat former Chancellor Rishi Sunak in a ballot of Conservative members - winning by about 21,000 votes."

Not surprised about that .

Or this:

"I will deliver a bold plan to cut taxes and grow our economy. I will deliver on the energy crisis, dealing with people’s energy bills, but also dealing with the long-term issues we have on energy supply. And I will deliver on the National Health Service.”

Perhaps she could have "cunning" as Baldrick did.?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/sep/05/four-things-liz-truss-said-in-her-victory-speech-and-what-they-may-mean

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-60037657

• Like 1

I am not British and so don't really know her, but am always interested in politics.

The UK Tories have gone through several leaders in the last few years, and I would give Ms. Truss two years maximum as once a party gets into the habit of eating its Leaders, they tend to continue to do so. In all honesty, I would give her six months if Labour had a decent 'leader-in-waiting', but I forget the current Labour Leader's name which really says it all.

As an outsider looking in, I see a Tory party that has been and still is split by Brexit, and I am pretty sure that the issue will rise again to haunt them further; the second that there are problems, half the party will say "it is because the crazies didn't want a soft Brexit", the other half will say "the cowards didn't want a no-deal Brexit" and half of the UK will say "We shouldn't have left the EU at all!!". Add in a measure of 'they are all bums!". Stir. Finally, the UK Tories have been in power for ten (?) years; political parties need to lose and regenerate every once in a while and the UK Tories are overdue.

Apologies to my British friends, but never have I seen a country so utterly determined to hurt and diminish itself as the UK seems to be doing now. I would say dark times ahead.

• Like 2

Hardly heard of her, Deputy PM announced and I have never heard of her.  What a bunch of nonentities, incompetents and self servers.  Away with the lot of them, a plague on all their houses and I hope all their rabbits die. And I'm a life long Tory voter. 

11 hours ago, Shade_Wilder said:

I am not British and so don't really know her, but am always interested in politics.

The UK Tories have gone through several leaders in the last few years, and I would give Ms. Truss two years maximum as once a party gets into the habit of eating its Leaders, they tend to continue to do so. In all honesty, I would give her six months if Labour had a decent 'leader-in-waiting', but I forget the current Labour Leader's name which really says it all.

As an outsider looking in, I see a Tory party that has been and still is split by Brexit, and I am pretty sure that the issue will rise again to haunt them further; the second that there are problems, half the party will say "it is because the crazies didn't want a soft Brexit", the other half will say "the cowards didn't want a no-deal Brexit" and half of the UK will say "We shouldn't have left the EU at all!!". Add in a measure of 'they are all bums!". Stir. Finally, the UK Tories have been in power for ten (?) years; political parties need to lose and regenerate every once in a while and the UK Tories are overdue.

Apologies to my British friends, but never have I seen a country so utterly determined to hurt and diminish itself as the UK seems to be doing now. I would say dark times ahead.

Good luck with that hope 

Her entire term will be determined by the course of the proxy-conflict in the Ukraine. Having said that, she does not seem particularly well-informed about Russia OR Ukriane and has in the past presented an immense load of ignorance by not knowing Rostov and Voronezh is not (and has never been) a part of Ukraine. While geography in itself is maybe trivial at the spur of the moment, it was amazing to hear a UK politician at such a level display such illiteracy. 

Rarely are things that simple, but it would be an ocean of difference between a UK at peace with Russia.. 

.or not. 

Edited by NorskTiger
  • Haha 1

On 9/6/2022 at 12:21 AM, Shade_Wilder said:

The thought is that the new £2500 cap on energy bills will buy  her time from the Backbenchers until Christmas. It was a curious leadership election (I'm a C&U party member so got a vote). Truss is technically a Remainer, and Sunak was the Brexiteer. But here I was, a reluctant Remainer, voting for Sunak, while holding my nose (at his dog whistle politics he adopted during his "campaign"). That doesn't been Brexit is behind us, its effects are very much still playing out.

The cabinet selections were fairly predictable, in that it was never going to be a cabinet of the many talents.

The Chancellor is a decent, solid choice. The new Health Secretary is good. Good news that Ben Wallace is still at the MOD; insiders will tell you he's been very much the driving force behind policy in Ukraine, and offering some backbone to what was at one point a wobbly reaction by the nations of the free (but that's fine, democracies have a right to pause for a moment about such momentous decisions). James Cleverley as foreign secretary, not so sure he will be at the FCO that long. I like the guy, he's got a lot of gusto, but diplomacy is maybe not for him. Nadhim Zarhawi will be wasted in his non-job as the Chancellor of the duchy of Lancaster; he was very impressive with the vaccine campaign, clearly using his business skills in managing basically a supply chain issue. Earnest at education. Good that Alok is still Cop26 President. Jacob Rees-Mogg being in charge of energy. and Steve Baker in some underling role at the NIO; joke appointments surely.  Lt Baker will soon come back from Stormont, when he realises the impacts of his Brexit rhetoric.

Tom Tugendhat in some sort of minor security role; its in his skill set as a former senior officer in the Intelligence Corps (and front line experience). I sense though its too junior a role for him. If anything, he would have been more than qualified for a full cabinet post, such as  at the FCO.

Whoever is PM you would want to succeed, for the sake of the country, and wider. Truss is not stupid; she is very intelligent, but I think doesn't have the character for the role. But you never know. She enjoys a big majority, which will likely be slimmed down through by-elections. I don't see any Tories crossing the floor. I loath her politics, but I do admire the strength of character of the Deputy Leader of the Labour Part, Angela Rayner. If she was Leader of the Labour Party, I think she'd wipe the floor with Truss at the despatch box, especially over the next 6 months. I wouldn't vote for her, but I do admire her tenacity. But then, the only person, short of my party membership, is my local MP, and he's pretty good.

But I fear the headlines will soon be dominated by London Bridge has fallen down (the code for the Queen passing). She looked shockingly frail when she recently met Truss ast Balmoral. Doctors are in attendance, and news that Prince William and others are rushing up there doesn't bode well. Her hands are showing signs of senile purpura. no doubt through vascular disease. Its pretty clear from the pictures at Balmoral, with the blazing fire and her cardigan, with the pulled button holes, she's feeling cold, signs of a failing circulatory system.