Phuket reopens but botched preparation limits travellers

Thaiger

So Phuket is finally reopened with today marking the start of the Phuket Sandbox and the welcoming of international travellers without quarantine. But the days leading up to the launch saw a precipitous drop in expected arrivals as constant changes, lack of preparation, delays in implementation, and overall chaos marred the Phuket rollout and damaged tourist confidence in the scheme. Many small businesses have complained that the Phuket Sandbox didn’t provide any support for reopening the hundreds of small businesses that closed due to Covid-19 and don’t have the finances to relaunch now. Many in the tourism industry have speculated […]

The post Phuket reopens but botched preparation limits travellers appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I did say, when this sandbox plan was in it's infancy, it would be small steps first. Yep, that's about how it's played out. But they say the greatest journey, begins with a single step. I'm sure there will be a line up of chronic "nay sayers" who will want to bag everything, but I, for one, am proud of the efforts of the people of Phuket, who have been through so much deprivation and have still managed to survive. If everyone holds their nerve, small step will become bigger ones. So wear a mask, keep safe distance, use hand sanitiser and get tested if you have symptoms. And to my fellow farangs.... don't act like idiots and stuff it up for the rest of us! It's a fragile situation. You really don't want to go home in a bodybag.... 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Fair comment Jason.  Let's hope the initial fiasco is largely over and there's no major outbreak of covid to impede further arrivals.

We should watch for the Singapore model to hopefully be adopted as if successful that could become a usable model for the likes of Samui and Phuket, in the future. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

Fair comment Jason.  Let's hope the initial fiasco is largely over and there's no major outbreak of covid to impede further arrivals.

We should watch for the Singapore model to hopefully be adopted as if successful that could become a usable model for the likes of Samui and Phuket, in the future. 

I’d love to think you are right and Thailand would adopt a successful model tried elsewhere, but I won’t hold my breath. 
One of the things that has amazed me with this pandemic is the lack of “best practice” across the world. Initially I expected each country to do its own thing. However, by now, after some 18 months, you would have expected three of four operating models to have emerged as “Best Practice”. Clearly a number of models are required depending on vaccination progress. Variants of concern and population density etc. However, around the world today, even the basics of how long people should self isolate for ranges from 21 days to 7. 

None of this gives people any assurances that following the scientific advice is anything like scientific fact and more opinion and guesswork. 

• Like 3

I agree with Jason, far better to start this slowly, the numbers will inevitably be low but it's not always due to Thai incompetence as so many writers here like to make out, there are several major issues out of Thai control, for example here in UK a visit to Phuket means a 10 day home quarantine on your return, also many countries have not yet had the two vaccinations required.

Realistically we're looking at a decent number of people being able to visit Phuket in October, by then they will have used this time to smooth out any problems and will be in good shape to accept far larger numbers of tourists.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Soidog said:

I’d love to think you are right and Thailand would adopt a successful model tried elsewhere, but I won’t hold my breath. 
One of the things that has amazed me with this pandemic is the lack of “best practice” across the world. Initially I expected each country to do its own thing. However, by now, after some 18 months, you would have expected three of four operating models to have emerged as “Best Practice”. Clearly a number of models are required depending on vaccination progress. Variants of concern and population density etc. However, around the world today, even the basics of how long people should self isolate for ranges from 21 days to 7. 

None of this gives people any assurances that following the scientific advice is anything like scientific fact and more opinion and guesswork. 

With vaccines now available the emerging models should morph into best practice as data emerges.   Up until now, and for many low % inoculation/poor vax used, countries, it's been very hit and miss.

The biggest difficulty faced here in Thailand is the almost total reluctance of the poor working class, especially immigrants, to have the jab.  Perhaps those people will not be adversely affected, not become seriously ill, and therefore gain herd immunity naturally.  Early days.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, LondonAl said:

I agree with Jason, far better to start this slowly, the numbers will inevitably be low but it's not always due to Thai incompetence as so many writers here like to make out, there are several major issues out of Thai control, 

Did Jason actually say it was better to start slow? Regardless it wasn’t Thailand intention to start slow. That was the result of their poor planning and horrible bureaucracy. Was some of it out of their control sure but most of it was their fault. It started with the attitude the tourists were likely carriers of plague. Rather than the fact those tourists are more likely to catch the virus from locals than the other way around. That attitude resulted in layers of added cost and restrictions each driving down the numbers. 

55 minutes ago, LondonAl said:

I agree with Jason, far better to start this slowly, the numbers will inevitably be low but it's not always due to Thai incompetence as so many writers here like to make out, there are several major issues out of Thai control, for example here in UK a visit to Phuket means a 10 day home quarantine on your return, also many countries have not yet had the two vaccinations required.

Realistically we're looking at a decent number of people being able to visit Phuket in October, by then they will have used this time to smooth out any problems and will be in good shape to accept far larger numbers of tourists.

Good to read such a balanced view and from a debut poster, too . . . thanks for that!

Hello, LondonA1 and welcome to Thaiger Talk

Please feel free to tell us a bit about yourself in 'Introductions'. It's good to pick-up on those sometimes differing regional or geographical perspectives.

And check-out the Guidelines, too, when you get a free minute. They're there to help us all enjoy our time here.

Happy posting

King Cotton

43 minutes ago, EdwardV said:

Did Jason actually say it was better to start slow?

No, he said 'If everyone holds their nerve, small step will become bigger ones,' which, in most people's books means pretty much the same. Let's not split hairs in a debate that deserves better.

• Like 1

I will give it two months to see what changes are made to the rules and then decide if i come straight back to Phuket or if i come through Bangers and do 2 weeks quarantine there instead of risking the day13 test being positive 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MikeB said:

I will give it two months to see what changes are made to the rules and then decide if i come straight back to Phuket or if i come through Bangers and do 2 weeks quarantine there instead of risking the day13 test being positive 

Very wise.  It will be very interesting to see where we're at come September 1.

KaptainRob I am sure there will be some tweaking of the rules and i hope to be flying back to thailand either way at the end of Sept 

Not so crazy about the tendency in Thailand towards:

• Paying up front for most things, especially services related to COVID - includes forced lodging, testing, insurance, hospitalization - even potentially airfare.
  • No refunds policy in general.
  • Raising prices to make up for lost sales.
  • Like 1
  • Cool 1

Thanks for reporting on this important subject.  I'm interested in returning this winter to the same house I stayed in 8 years ago on Koh Lanta.  I'm hesitant to book tickets now due to pandemic (I am vaccinated) and the complexities of international travel.  I hope that Thailand succeeds in defeating the pandemic and that by November it will be easier to visit your lovely country.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jwd said:

Thanks for reporting on this important subject.  I'm interested in returning this winter to the same house I stayed in 8 years ago on Koh Lanta.  I'm hesitant to book tickets now due to pandemic (I am vaccinated) and the complexities of international travel.  I hope that Thailand succeeds in defeating the pandemic and that by November it will be easier to visit your lovely country

Yes, so do we! And we hope to see more like this debut post . . . thanks for that!

Hello, Jwd and welcome to Thaiger Talk

Please feel free to tell us a bit about yourself in 'Introductions'. It's good to pick-up on those sometimes differing regional or geographical perspectives.

And check-out the Guidelines, too, when you get a free minute. They're there to help us all enjoy our time here.

Happy posting

King Cotton

2 hours ago, MikeB said:

I agree MikeB. I had hoped to return via Bangkok and then on to Phuket. Possibly submitting to a PCR test on arrival and then free to roam Phuket for 7 days and then on to other parts of Thailand for 3 months, returning home on a flight from BKK. At the moment that plan is totally impossible and like you will wait until September to see what develops. 

Im still not clear if you can go to bkk and then on to Phuket. An article in the BKK Post yesterday quoted an official to say it was, and yet the local Thai Embassy says direct flights only. Which is misleading as they don’t mean Direct, as it seems I can fly via the Middle East and then in to Phuket!

Can anyone clarify if you can Transit BKK and then on to Phuket? 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Can anyone clarify if you can Transit BKK and then on to Phuket? 

Yes, you can, the last Thaiger News full report recently stated.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, King Cotton said:

Thanks. That helps a little as it saves having to return to Phuket for your return flight a few months later. All thru have to do now is remove the need to have a PCR Test on two or three other occasions, drop the COE and many many more will come. Even the insurance and 14 days isn’t so bad, although 7 would be better 

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

As boring as it is not to have the bars open, keeping them closed is a big step in stopping the spread in my opinion.  Bars are not the cleanest in many ways as you know.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jason said:

I did say, when this sandbox plan was in it's infancy, it would be small steps first. Yep, that's about how it's played out. But they say the greatest journey, begins with a single step. I'm sure there will be a line up of chronic "nay sayers" who will want to bag everything, but I, for one, am proud of the efforts of the people of Phuket, who have been through so much deprivation and have still managed to survive. If everyone holds their nerve, small step will become bigger ones. So wear a mask, keep safe distance, use hand sanitiser and get tested if you have symptoms. And to my fellow farangs.... don't act like idiots and stuff it up for the rest of us! It's a fragile situation. You really don't want to go home in a bodybag.... 

A bodybag?  That's a bit of  laugh. Please name one foreigner murdered  by Thais over stating an opinion. Thais could not possibly care less what "farang" thinks.  It's not that they don't like us, for that requires  effort of thought - it's that we are completely inconsequential and simply  not worth having a opinion over mere roaches with wallets.

This SHA-it box scheme will have countries  restricting travel to Thailand  once the Phuket particle petri  dish starts churning out variants which is exactly what reliance on a crap vaccine will  do.  Mix in all manner of bending of rules, red zone illegal entries on a  porous border, it is an island.  SHA establishment staff  are not capable of what is being asked of them. Carelessness, lazy or just plain  bribed ..

They will write case studies re Phuket - on what not to do in a pandemic. 

• Cool 1

1 minute ago, truth said:

As boring as it is not to have the bars open, keeping them closed is a big step in stopping the spread in my opinion.  Bars are not the cleanest in many ways as you know.

It's prostitutes working out of bars that spread Covid.   I can see head condoms in the future  

7 hours ago, Soidog said:

Because the vaccines have not been out long enough, or in case of USA  not 80% (herd immunity baseline)  are getting the very good  vaccines, and there are too many nations using garbage vaccines like Sinovac which runs all the numbers into the dirt because mask use is abandoned as is social distancing 

Do we see China attempting reopening? Chinese people  refusing to wear masks  or get vaccinated? NO  , and they are subject to  doing frequent targeted  shut downs which  is how they are using a 58% efficacy vaccine and getting away with it..

But Phuket.. Thailand thinks it can do the exact opposite- on that same vaccine? It will set everything back to March 2020   Note to self, get face shields, the Delta + specializes in through the  eyes.  

4 hours ago, King Cotton said:

Is anyone able to confirm this?

10 minutes ago, bushav8r said:

Is anyone able to confirm this?

It's in the plan but is yet to be implemented. It's a sealed walk strategy: arrival gate straight to departure gate. No discussion I've seen about how/when/where you clear in and get your first PCR test.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, JamesE said:

It's in the plan but is yet to be implemented. It's a sealed walk strategy: arrival gate straight to departure gate. No discussion I've seen about how/when/where you clear in and get your first PCR test.

Oh ok. I thought the question had been definitively answered. Seems I was wrong! So yes you can but not yet and maybe it could happen soon but not sure when and maybe the details will be published at some point soon. Sounds about right for Thailand. 

• Like 3