News Forum - Machine invented to replace monkeys climbing coconut trees

Thaiger

Monkeys climbing coconut trees have been an icon in Thailand for years, but have also drawn the ire of animal rights groups like People for The Ethical Treatment of Animals. Now the Agriculture Department has invented a machine that can help farmers climb coconut trees themselves, eliminating the need to train and use monkeys to harvest coconuts anymore. PETA released a report two years ago that pointed a finger at coconut farmers in Thailand, alleging that they abused monkeys in order to have them pluck coconuts from the tall trees. They called for an end to the practice, along with […]

The story Machine invented to replace monkeys climbing coconut trees as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

as long as the coconut tree is vertical, if the tree is bent, this equipment becomes an safety hazard.

there are similar inventions across the world, which some has advantages over this design.

Good for the monkeys, they can go on with their own bussines now.

But this machine that allegedly has been invented has been around for several hundreds of years. Starting from a few simple ropes, ending at rather intricate devices. You can get them at Aliexpress.

spur-climbing-2.jpg

• Like 2

I wouldn’t say most or majority of these monkeys were abused and peta is and was just being overboard and overbearing pushing their crap. The monkeys had fun doing it and had plenty of food and rest from the farmer I know of. Did peta actually see any of these monkeys being abused or beaten? They have a 50/50 history of good and bad. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

I wouldn’t say most or majority of these monkeys were abused and peta is and was just being overboard and overbearing pushing their crap. The monkeys had fun doing it and had plenty of food and rest from the farmer I know of. Did peta actually see any of these monkeys being abused or beaten? They have a 50/50 history of good and bad. 

Ummmm......a 50/50 history of good and bad is not actually a good thing!

And no animal should be on a chain like they are 

• Haha 1

There was no need to invent a new device, There are numerous such devices on the market and the basic is a pair of boots with a spike and a rope. Who is making money again?

9 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Ummmm......a 50/50 history of good and bad is not actually a good thing!

And no animal should be on a chain like they are 

Referring to Peta. And I am an huge animal lover. so then we can take it to every aspect like even zoos world wide (captive suscks) to elephant farms, the USA and dog chaining etc. Monkey's on farms are not treated so bad and as far as I am aware are treated quite good with their handlers. Going up a tree they are tethered and they actually have quite an ok life as far as I am aware of from my interaction with coconut farms. 

Now it would be nice if animals weren't on chains and all were treated well. But it is necesaary as we can see by the photos.

image.png.9347f9251262f51be4057ff26847a173.pngimage.png.1a97c0c8b930275a1a3c91cbb739149e.png

image.png.2b632145222d6a2fbdbefaabca45617c.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HolyCowCm said:

Referring to Peta. And I am an huge animal lover. so then we can take it to every aspect like even zoos world wide (captive suscks) to elephant farms, the USA and dog chaining etc. Monkey's on farms are not treated so bad and as far as I am aware are treated quite good with their handlers. Going up a tree they are tethered and they actually have quite an ok life as far as I am aware of from my interaction with coconut farms. 

Now it would be nice if animals weren't on chains and all were treated well. But it is necesaary as we can see by the photos.

image.png.9347f9251262f51be4057ff26847a173.pngimage.png.1a97c0c8b930275a1a3c91cbb739149e.png

image.png.2b632145222d6a2fbdbefaabca45617c.png

I agree with all that 

And I do also agree that PETA is way over the top

Even for us animal lovers 

• Like 1