News Forum - British expat killed in Koh Samui motorbike accident, another seriously injured

Thaiger

A British expat has been tragically killed in a motorbike accident on Thailand’s island of Koh Samui in the early hours of yesterday morning, with another man from the UK seriously injured. The two men had been on a motorbike together when they collided with a garbage truck. The man killed had been the passenger on the motorbike. He was 36 years old, and reportedly a Pattaya resident and businessman. The man seriously injured was the driver. He was reported to be around 30 years old. Rescuers arrived to find the damaged motorbike, and the passenger was pronounced dead at […]

The story British expat killed in Koh Samui motorbike accident, another seriously injured as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

early hours of yesterday morning

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

Under the motorbike seat rescue staff stated they found cans and bottles of beer

Riding a motorcycle in Thailand is gambling with your life, if you on top of that ride drunk at night, its virtually suicide.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DoUKnowWhoIAm said:

Riding a motorcycle in Thailand is gambling with your life, if you on top of that ride drunk at night, its virtually suicide.

Nowhere does the article state that they were drunk. Beer under the seat does not automatically mean that they were drunk or had been drinking. They could well have been sober and bought the beer to drink when they arrived at their destination.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Looks like it is a taboo for these people to wear the necessary rider gear when riding motorcycle in Thailand. However when in home country they are always fully geared. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Loong said:

No mention of lack of helmets either.

They haven't mentioned it yet, but they will, and when they do you will see they weren't wearing helmets. You can make book on that. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Loong said:

Nowhere does the article state that they were drunk. Beer under the seat does not automatically mean that they were drunk or had been drinking. They could well have been sober and bought the beer to drink when they arrived at their destination.

Come on they are foreigners, this is Thailand, give the benefit of the doubt yes, but within some sort of reason. 

"may well have been sober", "early hours of the morning" and they decided to pop down to the local and pick a beer or two.

There is optimism and there is optimism.

Sadly they paid a huge price.

• Like 2

I wiped out really bad drunk and helemetless in Samui

I probably should have died, honestly

That ended my days of driving drunk with no helmet and I drive a lot slower now

I shouldn't have needed that to not drive like such an idiot..............but now I don't

• Like 1

“I was turning into a side road before I heard the crash. I’m not sure what exactly happened.”

In the middle of the night? We all (should) know, how garbage trucks sometimes are driving in or out of side roads.

Just: The truck was lighted,  for certain!

Also we all know, that mostly no one, driving after midnight on a night out, is sober. Even more, if out with a visiting friend and driving on one bike! 

Also no helmets seems to be common on expat riders, often also no lights, like many locals, too.

So if I had to guess, .....