News Forum - Phuket Immigration reports over 100,000 Indian tourists since May

Thaiger

Even though Malaysia has now beat Thailand for its number of tourists to the kingdom overall, Indians are still the biggest tourist group in Phuket. From May 1 to August 30, the island province saw 104,350 Indian tourists arrive on its shores, according to Phuket Immigration. This was out of a total of 436,326 foreign tourists that arrived in Phuket in that time frame. The other countries sending the most tourists to Thailand, in order, have been: Australia, Singapore, UK, Malaysia, Germany, USA, and Russia. The ongoing flow of Indian tourists has helped to pick up Phuket’s tourism economy this […]

The story Phuket Immigration reports over 100,000 Indian tourists since May as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

If Malaysian and Laos visitors are classed as equivalent to visitors from UK, Europe and India there is a grave dissonance with reality. Having worked with tourism authorities in European and African countries I can say that the figures are actually nonsense because giving a day tripper the same definition as a medium to long haul tourist is creating a false picture that flatters the tourism authorities but deludes at the same time. Thailand needs to stop this "false news" and reflect the true picture.

When I was there in June travelling all the way to Ao Nang there were so so many Indians. Also Phuket had a lot of Middle Easterners. I would not dispute this number at all.

• Like 1

I would have said more !  They're everywhere walking in groups.. eating at only indian restaurants and buying from indian shops, complaining about the prices or trying to bata, always 2 on a motorbike with hats that don't fit, they go into the live music bars have a dance then leave when asked to buy drinks.. 

• Like 1

I often have meetings in some of the hotels here in Phuket. Most people staying are noticeably Indians recently. It does beat the very loud Chinese tour package groups though...

• Like 1