News Forum - Bangkok nabs 60,000 snakes a year, 1 reported every 15 minutes

Thaiger

Bangkok is well known for its hundreds of temples and thousands of… snakes? Emergency hotline employees reported that they capture and remove around 60,000 snakes per year in the capital city. Calls come in for help with snake removal at an average rate of about one every 15 minutes throughout the day. The 199 hotline handles calls regarding snakes in Bangkok, a more prevalent problem than some would expect. The statistics were publicised after a photo went viral of a huge boa constrictor lounging in a tree in the Din Daeng district, freaking out local residents. The workers at the […]

The story Bangkok nabs 60,000 snakes a year, 1 reported every 15 minutes as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

The high population of snakes in Bangkok is due to its citizens not consuming snakes, meaning the reptiles have no direct predators in the city 

Bangkok needs more chinese citizen, then?

• Haha 3

51 minutes ago, Guest1 said:

The high population of snakes in Bangkok is due to its citizens not consuming snakes, meaning the reptiles have no direct predators in the city 

The price of Mamas is up 1 baht, so there's a chance that they start to look for options.

55 minutes ago, Guest1 said:

The Chinese are "hiss-tory", but the Indian snake oil sellers are coming.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Guest1 said:

You got that right. Lucky if I see one snake a month in my rural village.

When I moved here this surprised me (but was happy!) and when I queried my wife she said 'village eat all'.

Bangkok also keeps the numbers up as these snake capture and removal people relocate them. They could kill half and open a snake restaurant? 😀

Something is odd with that picture. Looks a little more larger than life like it is a 30ft/9 meters. But I have seen up in my neck of the woods ones over 10 - 12ft + in my front where we used to live and swimming in the klong and crossing the road.

• Like 1

Boa constrictors do not live in Thailand or any part of south east Asia get your facts right Thaiger the rest would probably be a mixture of various species such as rat snakes, vipers, cobras vine snakes etc etc 

I live rural and we have had a lot of snakes flushed out due to floods.  See a new kill every day on the main road lately, happy when it is a cobra or mao sauo. Not sure on the English spelling of the latter but deadlier than a cobra.  Stories say 20 minutes bye bye.

Other village I lived for 2 years we would be getting rid of a snake every few weeks.  Breeding season, 2-3 in a week.  Be a bit wary of the green snakes too, some are not good for your health.  Have a good look in that tree before you pick some fruit. Birds nest in trees and snakes love birds, young and eggs.

46 minutes ago, palooka said:

I live rural and we have had a lot of snakes flushed out due to floods.  See a new kill every day on the main road lately, happy when it is a cobra or mao sauo. Not sure on the English spelling of the latter but deadlier than a cobra.  Stories say 20 minutes bye bye.

Other village I lived for 2 years we would be getting rid of a snake every few weeks.  Breeding season, 2-3 in a week.  Be a bit wary of the green snakes too, some are not good for your health.  Have a good look in that tree before you pick some fruit. Birds nest in trees and snakes love birds, young and eggs.

When as a kid my parents had a small farm north central California. One year had a flood from overflowing river and had the rattlers seeking refuge in the tree branches. Those things were everywhere in summer and had to be real careful. Here in Thailand I have come across lots. Most I shovel up and toss, but have and still do kill and occasional one if need being. My last house was the big winner having the deadly ones. 

• Like 1

Used to be several Cobra restaurants around Rangsit. Took clients there. Mongooses in cages in case of an escape. The French and Koreans  loved it, Americans not so much.

Don' think my wife thought through her latest home purchase

She is at a dead end with a big overgrown vacant lot next to her

Been a few snakes already and next door had a massive one, especially with all the rain

That could severely impact my stays there!