News Forum - Rain causes chaotic traffic for Bangkok commuters

Thaiger

Bangkok commuters had a tough time getting home from work last night. Rain started pouring down in the Thai capital at just around the time most people leave the office. At 6:45pm, the Thai radio station FM91 Traffic Pro confirmed that traffic was not moving at all on Petchaburi and Chidlom roads and in the Pratunam area. Phayathai Road was also traffic jammed from Victory Monument to Phayathai intersection. Other major roads in the city impacted by the traffic were Sukhumvit and Rama I. Massive jams also developed in the South Sathorn area, Taksin bridge and Krungthonburi road, in front […]

The story Rain causes chaotic traffic for Bangkok commuters as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I am afraid that the Thai reputation for not learning from others, or listening to advice,  is plain for all to see.  Singapore is the world leader in taming monsoon rains and flooding, as are the Malaysians, yet the Thais follow their own inadequate path.   Pathetically small drainage pipes here don't do the job,   and yet they continue to install them.   Just see the 3 from Pattaya to Sattahip to see that they never learn. No camber on the new roads and small or no pipework laid to take away flood water. I have better drainage ditches outside my UK house and that is not prone to flooding. Learn or suffer this each year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pinetree said:

I am afraid that the Thai reputation for not learning from others, or listening to advice,  is plain for all to see.  Singapore is the world leader in taming monsoon rains and flooding, as are the Malaysians, yet the Thais follow their own inadequate path.   Pathetically small drainage pipes here don't do the job,   and yet they continue to install them.   Just see the 3 from Pattaya to Sattahip to see that they never learn. No camber on the new roads and small or no pipework laid to take away flood water. I have better drainage ditches outside my UK house and that is not prone to flooding. Learn or suffer this each year. 

You are a bit out of date. There is a massive new flood drain system under construction. I guess someone was listening and learning afterall🤔

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2324268/new-drainage-tunnel-to-help-bangkok-cope-with-flooding

10 minutes ago, Stevejm said:

You are a bit out of date. There is a massive new flood drain system under construction. I guess someone was listening and learning afterall🤔

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2324268/new-drainage-tunnel-to-help-bangkok-cope-with-flooding

We will see, although it is 40 years too late. One tunnel doesn't change the world, or Bangkok's flooding issues. If its anything like the Pattaya beach renewal, it won't work, it will be repeated every couple of years, as contactors pocket a regular income for life and nothing much changes.  

11 minutes ago, Stevejm said:

You are a bit....optimistic . According to the article (as of June '22) "Work on the tunnel is now 91.4% complete, according to the BMA’s Department of Drainage and Sewerage.", plus it will benefit Bang Na, Suan Luang and parts of Phra Khanong, not Payathai, Pratunam or Sathorn that the news is about.

2 hours ago, Leo said:

You are a bit....optimistic . According to the article (as of June '22) "Work on the tunnel is now 91.4% complete, according to the BMA’s Department of Drainage and Sewerage.", plus it will benefit Bang Na, Suan Luang and parts of Phra Khanong, not Payathai, Pratunam or Sathorn that the news is about.

The project has been going on for years because it takes years to develop a project that involves boring 6m diameter flood tunnels under a city the size of Bangkok. It was actually discussed previously elsewhere on this forum. It was developed as a result of studies and recommendations by international experts on the subject so time will tell but the key thing is that something is being done based on good advice. It’s not just one tunnel it’s an integrated flood management system including massive pumps and catchment basins. If you Google the subject you can find out more but the point is something is being done. If you are really interested have a read of this which shows details of the early planning in 2012and talks about the Chaoprya Basin flood problem and not just certain roads in Bangkok.

https://www.tunnel-online.info/en/artikel/tunnel_2012-03_Long_Term_Flood_Prevention_in_Chaophaya_Basin_Thailand_1419390.html

3 hours ago, Pinetree said:

its anything like the Pattaya beach renewal, it won't work

To be honest it makes me cringe/ laugh when Expats quote Pattaya Beach front projects as a reference for the success or failure of other projects in Thailand because it generates an image in my mind that the extent of your knowledge is what you can see from your barstool on Beach Road😂😂😂😂😂😂. I think a more relevant reference would be the MRT which is world class and definitely works.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Stevejm said:

To be honest it makes me cringe/ laugh when Expats quote Pattaya Beach front projects as a reference for the success or failure of other projects in Thailand because it generates an image in my mind that the extent of your knowledge is what you can see from your barstool on Beach Road😂😂😂😂😂😂. I think a more relevant reference would be the MRT which is world class and definitely works.

Everything they do here, MRT included, is at least 30 years behind what other advanced Asian countries are doing and have done. They are years behind the Asian leading countries in terms of modern infrastructure.  The Pattaya beach, that the government touts as world class, is just one more example of lethargy, lack of long term planning and muddled thinking,  that's why its relevant.  

• Confused 1

Money for civic works went to buying their jobs,  impounded supercars, high end clubbing, and tonight's mea noi.

So much money down the drain, they got blocked, and so the city floods. 

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

Everything they do here, MRT included, is at least 30 years behind what other advanced Asian countries are doing and have done. They are years behind the Asian leading countries in terms of modern infrastructure.  The Pattaya beach, that the government touts as world class, is just one more example of lethargy, lack of long term planning and muddled thinking,  that's why its relevant.  

If you compare to Singapore maybe but Thailand has come a long way in the last 30 years. Which other countries do you think have done so well? It’s easy to be wise with hindsight but nowhere is perfect. This thread is about flooding so time will tell if the new system will help. I hope it does.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Stevejm said:

Which other countries do you think have done well?

China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Japan, Malaysia , all well ahead of Thailand.  The Thais are making progress but far too slowly.  Even Vietnam are making faster, surer progress and will eclipse Thailand within the next 2 decades.  

23 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Japan, Malaysia , all well ahead of Thailand.  The Thais are making progress but far too slowly.  Even Vietnam are making faster, surer progress and will eclipse Thailand within the next 2 decades.  

My friend is working on the HCMC Metro and previously worked in Thailand for 20+ years. He tells me that the project is so far behind schedule and budget that they can’t even predict  a completion date. He also said it is much easier to get things done in Thailand than VN and in terms of developmentVN is around 20 years behind LoS. KL certainly didn’t have a metro 30 years ago and as a country they have their own problems.HK, China and the others aren’t even valid comparisons

I prefer to look at things more positively and can see big positive changes in the 30 years or so that I have been visiting and living here so I hope things go well. If you prefer to focus on negativity and projects in Pattaya that’s up to you but it’s sad IMO 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Venusianhart said:

tonight's mea noi.

Based on your other posts that seems to be about the extent of your knowledge of Thailand 😂😂😂

7 minutes ago, Stevejm said:

Based on your other posts that seems to be about the extent of your knowledge of Thailand 😂😂😂

It's a dirty job but someone has to do it. 😜

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

why?

HK was developed as a colony until 1997 governed from UK. China is the second largest economy in the world, Japan was built from the ground up after WW2 and is the third largest economy in the world, Taiwan went from being an oppressive military dictatorship to one of the 4 Asian Tigers with massive support from USA. Malaysia Philippines and Vietnam are probably more comparable to Thailand but I would argue that Thailand has done at least as well if not better than any  of those countries depending on what metric you use. 

To everyone complaining how slow Bangkok is developing.... 

Besided paperwork, isn't it actually a super difficult job to get done in such a busy city as Bangkok? All work that has to be done has to happen in a city far more busy than Singapore or Kuala Lumpur. And some here are just sitting in their chair like: Hey, it's an easy job, work harder!