News Forum - Koh Samui dwellers tell government to hurry up and build bridge to mainland

Thaiger

Residents of Thailand’s island of Koh Samui are calling on the government to hurry up and build a bridge connecting the island to the southern province of Nakhon Si Thammarat. Thai media reported yesterday that a Memorandum of Understanding has been signed to construct the bridge. Koh Samui dwellers are keeping a close eye on the bridge projects, since ferry tickets are expensive right now. One food vendor, a woman who sells grilled squid, said the price of a one-way ticket is now 170 baht. She said the round trip price is 340 baht, while cars are charged 550 baht […]

The story Koh Samui dwellers tell government to hurry up and build bridge to mainland as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

"Koh Samui dwellers" do not, unanimously, tell the government to "hurry up with the bridge".

I would welcome any licensed, experienced camera drone operator to come and get footage of the traffic in Samui, right now, this August, particularly during the busy periods of 07:30-09:30 and 14:45-18:30, on the main ring road, in populated areas...-Then publish your findings, with a conclusion as to whether the roads have sufficient capacity to take significantly more traffic.

I am, for now, ignoring the environmental impacts of further road traffic, and focusing on the business argument.

The fact is that many businesses are trying to recoup their loss of earnings during the worst parts of the pandemic. Many small businesses closed down, and owners have left the island, and are now reluctant to return. Those which survived need to maximise their potential, but not all would agree that a road bridge is the only solution.

Alternatives?

• Active discouragement (including a nominal extra tax) on private motor vehicles entering Samui, with

• A better public transport infrastructure, with scheduled bus services, at both the Surat end and Samui end, to support either

• An airport opened up to budget carriers and/or

• An expanded fast passenger ferry service and/or

• A rail bridge, with terminals at Surat airport, Surat town, and Samui

No rant intended... but a few people might make an awfully huge amount of money out of building a road bridge, in circumstances where there are viable, practical and business-supporting alternatives.

• Like 8

It is a good post above, but there is a much more simple, much more basic reason not to build a bridge. And BTW, I can't really blame a Food Vendor for wanting to see a bridge; the less fortunate, working-class folk on the island have had a tough time and need cash. The problem hasn't been the street workers, the problem has been the Fat-Assed Government Bureaucrats sitting in their air-conditioned offices stealing money while one hand stays worryingly out of sight and not helping those in need. 

But, I digress.

Koh Samui is an international tourist destination and will become one again as soon as the Covid excrement drifts off. However, it won't be an international tourism destination again unless it remains an island, and doesn't become merely an adjunct of the mainland.

It is the allure of a tropical island which appeals; it conjures up vague dreams that we all have of a life of ease surrounded by balloon-chested native girls, eating fresh fish and fruit, swimming in the clear blue sea and basking in our own good fortune. How many of us sit back and dream "Man! I'd like to find a piece of coastline and settle there!". No, it is "I want to get to a tropical island and just relax until I drop!". 

THAT is the dream.

Build a bridge, and all of Samui goes from being a isolated tropical delight to just another over-crowded stretch of the Thai coast. 

No thanks.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shade_Wilder said:

It is a good post above, but there is a much more simple, much more basic reason not to build a bridge. And BTW, I can't really blame a Food Vendor for wanting to see a bridge; the less fortunate, working-class folk on the island have had a tough time and need cash. The problem hasn't been the street workers, the problem has been the Fat-Assed Government Bureaucrats sitting in their air-conditioned offices stealing money while one hand stays worryingly out of sight and not helping those in need. 

But, I digress.

Koh Samui is an international tourist destination and will become one again as soon as the Covid excrement drifts off. However, it won't be an international tourism destination again unless it remains an island, and doesn't become merely an adjunct of the mainland.

It is the allure of a tropical island which appeals; it conjures up vague dreams that we all have of a life of ease surrounded by balloon-chested native girls, eating fresh fish and fruit, swimming in the clear blue sea and basking in our own good fortune. How many of us sit back and dream "Man! I'd like to find a piece of coastline and settle there!". No, it is "I want to get to a tropical island and just relax until I drop!". 

THAT is the dream.

Build a bridge, and all of Samui goes from being a isolated tropical delight to just another over-crowded stretch of the Thai coast. 

No thanks.

Even with no bridge at the moment

I never really consider Samui much I'd a tropical island, really 

And I like Samui but it's too busy and built, so much of the ocean is blocked by buildings that I don't get a real island vibe from it 

5 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Even with no bridge at the moment

I never really consider Samui much I'd a tropical island, really 

And I like Samui but it's too busy and built, so much of the ocean is blocked by buildings that I don't get a real island vibe from it 

I can see where you're coming from, here...and the main, crowded, party-town is much as you've described.

For those of us who live here, however, we get a reasonable balance between modern infrastructure and, in a few hideaway places, that "island vibe".   A quick hop on the ferry also takes us to neighbouring islands, Pha Ngan and Tao, or some idyllic beaches on the Surat and Nakhon Si Thammarat coastline.

But, yes, it would be "a bridge too far", and, quite possibly, the world's biggest parking lot.

1 hour ago, Shade_Wilder said:

But, I digress.

THAT is the dream.

No thanks.

I, also, "can't really blame a Food Vendor for wanting to see a bridge". I can't blame them for the fact that the viable alternatives, which will also help them get their, collective, foot back in the business door, haven't been clearly and even-handedly explained to them.

The bridge will primarily bring gold to those who build it (and, possibly, those taking a bit of "agent's commission" on the side).

It's only in the last few years that heavy vehicles have been allowed on the island

I would very much doubt if the island could take the increase in traffic from a permanent connection to the mainland. 

Not only would the roads be unable to cope, the infrastructure, utilities etc wouldn't cope either.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, voyager said:

I can see where you're coming from, here...and the main, crowded, party-town is much as you've described.

For those of us who live here, however, we get a reasonable balance between modern infrastructure and, in a few hideaway places, that "island vibe".   A quick hop on the ferry also takes us to neighbouring islands, Pha Ngan and Tao, or some idyllic beaches on the Surat and Nakhon Si Thammarat coastline.

But, yes, it would be "a bridge too far", and, quite possibly, the world's biggest parking lot.

We stayed in Bangrak right on the main road and absolutely loved it

And my usual spot used to be outside Lamai in Hua Thanon, which I love as well

But to drive anywhere around the island is just so busy and congested

Still love the place

In my opinion, Thailand severely lacks "beach towns" anywhere...............just by how they built

There are nice beaches but not many, or of any, where the whole town feels "beachy", if that makes sense

I go to places in Costa Rica and Mexico(and a ton in US actually) where you can be 3 blocks off the beach and still feel a beachy vibe

• Like 1

I sympathize with the businesses but building a bridge really would screw the island up. The traffic flow would be huge, pollution would skyrocket, crime would increase etc. The island would no longer be an island. There are ways around the commercial challenges, the govt needs to find them. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, cowslip said:

have they actually assessed how much extra traffic would come on to the island?

I would be interested to see if it has ever been published, or, for that matter, any consultation paper or detailed cost-benefit or Return on Investment (ROI) analysis.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, cowslip said:

It's only in the last few years that heavy vehicles have been allowed on the island

I would very much doubt if the island could take the increase in traffic from a permanent connection to the mainland. 

Not only would the roads be unable to cope, the infrastructure, utilities etc wouldn't cope either.

A road bridge is being widely touted as an inevitable, done deal. I'm sure its construction will line a few pockets, but mostly those of its constructors (and their investors). Does some influential parties on the island (or with interests in the airport monopoly) have fingers in this pie..??

But I agree, the infrastructure and utilities couldn't cope.... 

The biggest sea-crossing parking lot in the world...??

• Like 1

Let's spend billions to build a road to a one way dead end street.

I imagine parking spots will become the next growth industry there.

You can check out but you can never leave.

22 minutes ago, Naanlaew said:

Why not a high speed train ?

This could move people and freight without the inherent traffic issues.

Maglev would be neat.

To Samui? An Island of 60k? Some people, the Samui locals and vendors, forum members, are seem to overestimate the importance of "getting to Samui", methinks!

Also: Since no one will build a bridge without giving the ferry people their income from now, somehow, any bridge would need to be a toll bridge. With minimum the price of todays ferry trips, methinks. So .....

The discussion of Ko Samui access options must include a more realistic approach to the cost of access. Island living has always been more expensive because of logistics. I don't think it is fair or practical to expect Thai taxpayers to put out tens of billions of baht for a non essential island with a population of  approx. 65,000. The allure of Koh Samui is its separation from the mainland and its tourist vibe reflects that. It is a tourist destination that draws strength from the ferry ride because the ride is part of the tourist experience. When I use the term essential I use it in context of a farm or manufacturing hub that must have efficient fast logistic access. A leisurely 2 hour ferry ride from Surat Thani docks won't discourage  tourists.

In 2019, the 18km bridge was estimated to  cost 30 billlion baht (It magically became 17 km and 25 billion for the  Khanon-Phangna beach route in July). What was not mentioned was the annual service cost, and a long bridge over saltwater is expensive to maintain. Cost savings for who? One need only look at the madness  that can occur on the Bangkok to Pattaya, or Hua Hin airport bus terminal to town routes to get a hint of what to expect on a Koh Samui -mainland bus route. It is highly unlikely that the bus would be a less expensive alternative to the ferry.

Just as there are too many vehicles on the island, there are too many flights. The airport cannot take on any additional flights unless visitors and locals alike are prepared for more disruption around the clock. Pre Covid, the airport was handling approx. 90 commercial flights/day and 1 million+ pax. Unless one is prepared to have flights 24 hours a day and to have  noise complaints from the  hotels which are along the flight paths there is no way the airport can go LCC.

Koh Samui would be better served by addressing the cost of the ferry service and by improving transport to and from the docks. A  few ferries dedicated to commercial requirements, e..g. exclusive food truck sailing time that could be subsidized would  reduce the cost of food for everyone if that's the concern.Otherwise, fine tune the ferries and make them more efficient and work with that.

Looks like I'm the only Samui resident that wants this bridge. Also looks like an interesting time to buy some land in the south of the island.

The bridge should be built.  Along with a 4 lane elevated highway to circle the island.  But why stop at Samui, continue the bridge across to Pattaya and as well 🤣

Seriously, it rates 3rd in dumb ideas after the shipping canal and Hua Hin to Pattaya bridge. 

Samui was overbuilt 20 years ago. 

Let them have their bridge. 

I'm all for it. No hanging around for the ferry, and quicker to get across. 

Will there be a sudden mass increase in vehicle(Thai) traffic? I doubt it. Not many Thais make it past Prechuap from Bangkok in their vehicles. 

Thais, and this is where any significant increase in vehicle traffic will come from, tend to prefer to go to Thai places. 

On 8/25/2022 at 11:34 PM, cowslip said:

have they actually assessed how much extra traffic would come on to the island?

I haven't seen anything published.

One thing I might offer as a prediction: when the bridge opens, one of the first queues will be of residents heading from Samui to the mainland.