News Forum - Phuket landlord denies sexual assaulting his female tenant

Thaiger

A Phuket landlord is denying accusations that he sexually assaulted one of his female tenants in a dormitory. The woman, 26 year old Kwanruethai, told police that her landlord, 50 year old Sasin, got into her room at night with a spare key, and started touching her hips and private parts while she was sleeping. Kwanruethai said she woke up and saw Sasin there, shirtless. She shouted at him to get out, and Sasin fled the scene. Kwanruethai filed a report to Phuket City Police earlier this week. Sasin has now presented himself to the police after being summoned, but […]

The story Phuket landlord denies sexual assaulting his female tenant as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

The case hasn't gone to court and everyone is entitled to be assumed innocent until proven guilty.

That said, good on the young woman for going to the cops and pressing charges; unless someone can demonstrate a good reason not to believe her, I suspect that she is telling the truth. 

"Kwanruethai said the police had tried to negotiate with her, and had asked her to drop the charges. But Kwanruethai is refusing to, and she wants Sasin to be prosecuted."

I even have to say 'good on the police' in trying to mediate the dispute and avoiding charges/trials if they were not needed; it strikes me as a reasonable step in the process. That said, it seems like they didn't push too hard, and that is also a good thing.

I hate these kinds of situations, but it'd foolish to believe that they don't occur. I would like to see Thailand have a few more high-profile cases like this fully prosecuted so that perhaps this kind of behaviour is stopped and young girls can sleep easy at night.

• Confused 1

Hopefully there’s cctv footage of his movements within the building. It’s a bit outrageous that the police tried to talk her into dropping the charges as she has a right not to be violated against here will, especially in her own room while she’s sleeping. It’s for the court to decide if he’s guilty or innocent. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shade_Wilder said:

The case hasn't gone to court and everyone is entitled to be assumed innocent until proven guilty.

That said, good on the young woman for going to the cops and pressing charges; unless someone can demonstrate a good reason not to believe her, I suspect that she is telling the truth. 

"Kwanruethai said the police had tried to negotiate with her, and had asked her to drop the charges. But Kwanruethai is refusing to, and she wants Sasin to be prosecuted."

I even have to say 'good on the police' in trying to mediate the dispute and avoiding charges/trials if they were not needed; it strikes me as a reasonable step in the process. That said, it seems like they didn't push too hard, and that is also a good thing.

I hate these kinds of situations, but it'd foolish to believe that they don't occur. I would like to see Thailand have a few more high-profile cases like this fully prosecuted so that perhaps this kind of behaviour is stopped and young girls can sleep easy at night.

BS on "good on the police "

You don't try and negotiate dropping charges like that

Believe I was involved with police trying to negotiate and intimidate a witness of a young girl getting killed by a drunk driver

Their motives are not innocent or helpful

And this idea that crimes can be negotiated down only feeds into a lot fo the lawlessness in Thailand and should never be encouraged