Liz Truss 'Ready' To Press Nuclear Button

Faraday

5_UK-leadership-contenders-take-part-in-Conservative-Party-hustings-event-in-Birmingham.jpg.1c3305b6bf5617b2978cc701933979e5.jpg

"She made the remark at a hustings event in Birmingham, when she was quizzed by host John Pienaar about the daunting decision she could face."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/emotionless-liz-truss-says-would-27816744

"Ms Truss responded: "I think it's an important duty of the Prime Minister and I'm ready to do that."

It's more than a little concerning that this is being talked about....

1 hour ago, Faraday said:

5_UK-leadership-contenders-take-part-in-Conservative-Party-hustings-event-in-Birmingham.jpg.1c3305b6bf5617b2978cc701933979e5.jpg

"She made the remark at a hustings event in Birmingham, when she was quizzed by host John Pienaar about the daunting decision she could face."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/emotionless-liz-truss-says-would-27816744

"Ms Truss responded: "I think it's an important duty of the Prime Minister and I'm ready to do that."

It's more than a little concerning that this is being talked about....

Can't see why its a little concerning,  we need to know of a leaders intention of defending our country. Jeremy Corbyn made it quite clear he wouldn't unleash the nuclear deterrent under any circumstances (if my memory serves me well), if having these missiles and the enemy knows that the missiles will not be used,  doesn't it cease to be a deterrent. 

Not much to look forward to either way,  but if I'm going go I hope the person that fires them at us gets one in his own backyard too. IMO 💣

• Like 2

You couldn't make this chick up.

Does she even realise that when she finally crawled out of the bunker London will be rubble?

Not even a single British tank left to tour the ruin in. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Venusianhart said:

You couldn't make this chick up.

Does she even realise that when she finally crawled out of the bunker London will be rubble?

Not even a single British tank left to tour the ruin in. 

Is it not beyond the realms of the imagination that she could be crawling out of the rubble and she had not pressed our button?

It is not a very nice decision to have to make for anyone, she has been honest and it might sway the membership one way or another whether to vote for her.

Would you sooner have someone like Jeremy Corbyn who was quite prepared for the UK to be obliterated but we must not attack the people who are launching these damned missiles at us.

We only have two options, neither great options but one of the option offers a little deterrent.

But she is not the media's favourite so the BBC will probably get rid of her quite quickly anyway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marble-eye said:

Can't see why its a little concerning,  we need to know of a leaders intention of defending our country.

Agreed. Fact is she was ask a hypothetical question and she answered it:

She made the remark at a hustings event in Birmingham, when she was quizzed by host John Pienaar about the daunting decision she could face.

she’s being bashed because she didn’t show enough emotion? If she had, no doubt she would have been bashed over that since she’s a woman. To make it seem like she can’t wait to hit that button is making something out of nothing. 

• Like 1

Its a bit more complicated than a button. When a new PM takes office, there are Letters of Intent issued to the Trident  subs.

If the UK government ceases to function, eg after a nuclear attack, but not limited to that, submarine commanders are authorised to open the letters. The letter contains instructions from the PM what to do next, which might be to attack, not attack, use own judgement, turn the sub command to the nearest ally (who might be still around). Taking out the British government will likely have no impact on how  the UK responds to an attack like this. Or it might. Or it might make things worse for the attacker.  That is deterrance;  it makes it more difficult for the attacker to determine the benefits of a pre-emptive strike.

When a PM leaves office, the letters are destroyed, unopened.

My gut feel is that the instruction is to fall under control of the US, head to Australia etc, so that any retaliation is proceeded with in a planned manner, in case, for instance, the source of any attack is not immediately known. Which might well be the scenario.

Apparently proof of UK Life is whether Radio 4 is still broadcasted.

The actual "button" to fire a missile is still made from the grip of a Colt .45 pistol.

I'm sure there are critical elements left out of the Letter of Intent process. Critics say how would a sub commander know who to target. Well, maybe how they do that is a detail left out. Or maybe its not.

Ultimately, the "button" the PM has is just an order to a Sub commander, which might be followed out, might not.

• Like 1