If I get a CBT in the UK can I legally ride in Thailand? Or do I need an A1 license in the UK?

Adeltravels

My insurance will cover me if I am legal in the UK (so would need a CBT) but also need to be legal in Thai law

Seeing lots of conflicting things online. 

For info in the UK a CBT licence allows you to ride up to a 125cc motorcycle or scooter on the road for 2 years. You must display L-Plates and cannot carry a pillion passenger or ride on motorways. 

An A1 Motorcycle is like a “permanent CBT”, with the added privilege of being able to use motorways, and carry pillion passenger's.

Compulsory basic training ( CBT ) is a course you usually have to take before you ride a moped or motorcycle on the road. The training makes sure you can ride safely on your own while you practise for your full moped or motorcycle test. CBT is not a test that you pass or fail.

This is a UK requirement, not Thai.

Unless you hold a full UK or Thai motorcycle licence, you're not legally permitted to ride on Thai roads.

On 8/23/2022 at 11:46 PM, Faz said:

Compulsory basic training ( CBT ) is a course you usually have to take before you ride a moped or motorcycle on the road. The training makes sure you can ride safely on your own while you practise for your full moped or motorcycle test. CBT is not a test that you pass or fail.

This is a UK requirement, not Thai.

Unless you hold a full UK or Thai motorcycle licence, you're not legally permitted to ride on Thai roads.

to add i doubt any travel insurance will not cover you unless you have either of the licence above that Faz mentioned

i see that an A1 licence covers up-to 125cc (with engine power not exceeding 11Kw (~ 15hp) and a max power to weight ratio of 0.1kw per kg) m/c's, but would it keep the travel insurance company happy whilst in Thailand, do Thai m/c's conform to those restrictions.

Edited by cockneyboy
added 'not'

• 2 months later...

You need a FULL m/c licence to ride any motorbike in Thailand - if you have one in UK the category will appear on your IDP.

if you don't have a full m/c licence, you'll be breaking the law and you probably won'=t have any kind of insurance - road or travel.

Edited by cowslip
  • Like 1

On 8/25/2022 at 2:03 AM, cockneyboy said:

to add i doubt any travel insurance will not cover you unless you have either of the licence above that Faz mentioned

i see that an A1 licence covers up-to 125cc (with engine power not exceeding 11Kw (~ 15hp) and a max power to weight ratio of 0.1kw per kg) m/c's, but would it keep the travel insurance company happy whilst in Thailand, do Thai m/c's conform to those restrictions.

Bear in mind that whilst most "step-throughs" re between 100 and 125 cc the more "luxury one are 135cc upwards.

I'm also not sure if A1 or A is required by the Thai government. You need to look on your IDP. Category A