News Forum - Why you should consider getting a Thailand Elite Visa

Thaiger

The Thailand Elite Visa is possibly one of the most underrated visas in Thailand because people tend to lose interest once they hear about the application fee. However, the special visa program actually offers lots of convenience and benefits. Whether you are an investor, a retiree, or a digital nomad, the Thailand Elite Visa is available for anyone who lives or regularly comes to Thailand but doesn’t want to deal with the complex immigration bureaucracy. Besides, there are many other things you can enjoy by being an Elite Visa member. Let’s take a closer look at the main benefits. Continuous […]

The story Why you should consider getting a Thailand Elite Visa as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

'For example, digital nomads who aren’t employed by any particular company to get a business visa and their job doesn’t fall into one of the four SMART visa categories. '

Yea well, 99,99% of the digital nomads do not fall in the SMART categories. And for most it will not be easy to fork out 1M baht.

For retirees this might be an easy solution. It costs you 100k baht a year, roughly 2500 euros. So 200 euros per month. Expensive, but it should  save you a lot of hassle. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Janneman said:

Expensive, but it should  save you a lot of hassle. 

Nope, still gotta do 90 day reports and it seems the Elite Visa ppl need even more paperwork than for DIY.

For under-50 y/old retirees it may be ok, possibly cheaper than a Thai wife, 😅

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

I'd get an elite visa tomorrow if they actually confirmed, without some vaguery, that you can remote work in Thailand on it. When asked Thailand elite if you can run your overseas company, I was told that they will check with the relevant department, then returned with "it probably won't be an issue but cannot be for Thai people or company". 

Probably. Hardly confidence inspiring to build a life or a decade or so on.

1 hour ago, Janneman said:

For retirees this might be an easy solution. It costs you 100k baht a year, roughly 2500 euros. So 200 euros per month. Expensive, but it should  save you a lot of hassle. 

Honestly? 2k  or 100k Baht/year, I'd say I know, which option most retirees would opt for!

If you don't like the "hassle", save 90k of the 100k and involve an real/legit visa agent. You just need to show up for picture/fingerprint scan.

• Like 1

TIT every new "thing" in Thailand starts well then the Thais get lazy and complacent, 5 years down the track you passport hasn't come back from 90 day report and they are deporting you because the Thai who was supposed to do the 90 day report, well he got a new girlfriend and forgot about you.

SOLLY, but at the end of the day you are responsible not the idiot with the new girlfriend.

9 hours ago, KaptainRob said:

Nope, still gotta do 90 day reports and it seems the Elite Visa ppl need even more paperwork than for DIY.

For under-50 y/old retirees it may be ok, possibly cheaper than a Thai wife, 😅

Hmm the article says no 90 day reports. But you're probably right.

And a Thai wife, well, yes but they tend to come with a mother-in-law, and a bunch of nephews and so on I guess. Not that I would mind that, but I do mind having em around 24/7

4 hours ago, Janneman said:

Hmm the article says no 90 day reports. But you're probably right.

An Elite Visa holder doesn't have to do 90 day reports personally but the EV agent requires ones paperwork so it may be easier to DIY online or in person.

• Thanks 1

Everyone has to do 90 reporting (regardless of what long stay visa they hold); it's really a moot point (for comparison purposes) given 90 day reporting can now be done easily online. But at $1400 per year (for a 20 year Elite) the fact you get free reentry (without paperwork), and no need for the annual paper chase of renewal (and being held captive by some grumpy IO in some far flung immigration office) makes the Elite well worth the cost (in my opinion). There are also other benefits like free use of first class airport lounges, and free concierge services to wisk you through departure and arrival, to name just a few. For an under 50 "nomad" it's the only real reasonable option out there

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Cabra said:

Everyone has to do 90 reporting (regardless of what long stay visa they hold); it's really a moot point (for comparison purposes) given 90 day reporting can now be done easily online. But at $1400 per year (for a 20 year Elite) the fact you get free reentry (without paperwork), and no need for the annual paper chase of renewal (and being held captive by some grumpy IO in some far flung immigration office) makes the Elite well worth the cost (in my opinion). There are also other benefits like free use of first class airport lounges, and free concierge services to wisk you through departure and arrival, to name just a few. For an under 50 "nomad" it's the only real reasonable option out there

I agree with your last sentence.

AFAIK annual extensions must still be applied for, completed and paid for, albeit with agency assistance. 

The top tier 20y EV costs 2mil + VAT Membership + 20k baht pa fees and provides extra benefits - perhaps that one includes annual extension fees?

10 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

I agree with your last sentence.

AFAIK annual extensions must still be applied for, completed and paid for, albeit with agency assistance. 

The top tier 20y EV costs 2mil + VAT Membership + 20k baht pa fees and provides extra benefits - perhaps that one includes annual extension fees?

With an EV, IF you stay in county for 365 days concurrently you must do a stay extension at immigration centre (Immigration fee 1,900 baht), no agent or assistant necessary. Seeing as most EV people leave THA at least once annually, it rarely comes into play (in my experience). The 20 yr superiority EV is $1 million baht (all up). The top tier 2 million option has more bells and whistles, but frankly unless you golf and shop a lot it's not worth it.