pa-tong-ko for breakfast

Bluesofa

pa-tong-ko are long golden-brown deep-fried strips of dough made from wheat flour.

If you haven't seen them before, here's some:

pa-tong-ko.jpg.b1651659fdabb178a59f46247e4c2357.jpg

(image credit: https://cookpad.com/th/recipes/7987852-ปาทองโก-สตรไมใสแอมโมเนย )

They are very popular and really only for sale in the early mornings. For twenty Baht you can have a really big bag full, freshly cooked.

If you ever thought of making your own, there's a Thai youtube video here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXxK0fflpGw 

Until I started looking for an image of one, I hadn't realised there are a lot of other countries producing a very similar food:
China, Vietnam, Cambodia, Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, Philippines, Brunei, Myanmar, Thailand and Taiwan. It originates from China.

source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Youtiao#Thailand 

• Like 2

Sell them at most markets near us , also available in the evenings although they are decidedly nicer in the morning, usually  accompanied by a hot (soymilk ?) milk drink.

Some have the pandan coconut custard inside and small squares of pandan cake also available, ideal for dipping in the milky drink.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DwizzleyMatthews said:

Sell them at most markets near us , also available in the evenings although they are decidedly nicer in the morning, usually  accompanied by a hot (soymilk ?) milk drink.

Some have the pandan coconut custard inside and small squares of pandan cake also available, ideal for dipping in the milky drink.

I only know the ones for breakfast, with no filling in them.
Perhaps it's the other ones with the filling in, and the unsurprising 'confusion' about the name?
I really don't know.

According to wiki (the link in my OP):
[quote]
However, both possible original names referred to a different dessert, the white sugar sponge cake. It was previously sold together with youtiao by street vendors who normally walked around and shouted both names out loud. However, Thai customers often mistakenly thought that the more popular youtiao was "pathongko"
[unquote] 

12 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

I only know the ones for breakfast, with no filling in them.
Perhaps it's the other ones with the filling in, and the unsurprising 'confusion' about the name?
I really don't know.

According to wiki (the link in my OP):
[quote]
However, both possible original names referred to a different dessert, the white sugar sponge cake. It was previously sold together with youtiao by street vendors who normally walked around and shouted both names out loud. However, Thai customers often mistakenly thought that the more popular youtiao was "pathongko"
[unquote] 

Yes, I looked at the link, quite confusing.

In my gf’s hometown, Lat Yao near Nakhon Sawan they just sell the deep fried dough ( poor man’s donuts I call them) and the milk.

Maybe it’s our local market seller ( Ayutthaya ) who has decided to diversify and sell the filled ones and the pandan cake plus a hot thick pumpkin drink . It does seem to have paid off though as they do a roaring trade morning and evening.

• Like 1

Goes best with porridge/congee, just dip it into the congee like how you would dip toasted bread into half boiled egg yolk:

Congee_with_Youtiao.thumb.jpg.6a87d0b1eaca17b9e7a70ad2ec1cf153.jpg

• Like 1