News Forum - Tourists by locals in Bangkok: mad, bad, and dangerous to know

Thaiger

Pre-Covid-19 Bangkok was the most visited city in the world according to Mastercard’s Global Destination Cities Index. The Land of Smiles’ capital city attracted about 23 million visitors, more than any of the globe’s favourite other destinations including Paris, London, and Singapore. But ever wondered what the locals think of millions of farangs who visit the metropolis? The Latvian-based independent online platform, Insider, asked just that in a survey only last month. The findings may not be surprising but they are interesting all the same. Foreign travellers to Bangkok do a lot of pointing at people or things, with their […]

The story Tourists by locals in Bangkok: mad, bad, and dangerous to know as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Considering how oblivious Thais are to the cultures, customs or even the geographical location of most countries, I find it mildly amusing that they would get so upset about tourists not understanding their unique concerns about spirit house etiquette etc.  They should be happy the hoards will soon be back to be fleeced, scammed and robbed en masse again. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

I get it, Thais are very religious but I would think there would be some serious issues listed above. No dis respect I just think some tourists really forget to do these things and don’t mean anything wrong. I watched some videos before my first trip and seen things like this but than when I got there I was like “ holy moly” and this is ok 😆. Talk about crazy antics I was blown away by some of the stuff I saw Thais doing and was like “now that’s not disrespectful” 🫠. Foot pointing? That’s a whole different subject, I seen plenty of Thais foot pointing on the trains, sitting in front of cafes and a hundred other places 🤨 Though I complied -  when I did go into a temple, the floors were not very clean and some historical temples had debris all on the floor. I just refused to go in because I was not going to take a chance on getting sharp rocks stuck into my feet. As for the food I wouldn’t ever eat in a fancy restaurant where there’s only tourists eating 🤣 or high end malls unless I see Thais eating there.  I’m addicted to the street food and the locals that’s where the action is 🤣 (WTF moments that last a life time)!! I have to agree with the Thais, I found that some tourists from other countries are some of the worst people to hang around. Yes I’ve meet a lot of cool people from other countries but I’ve also meet a-lot not so nice tourists. When I’m in Thailand the last thing I want to hear are other tourists complaining, whining and crying about stupid stuff. Don’t go unless you can take a little criticism and have money to spend 😉!!

Thank You

Marvin

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

“When you take public transportation, for example, you just don’t put your feet up. It’s common in the West but in Thailand, it’s a big no-no.”

What they mean must be "crossing someone's leg while sitting", right?

B/c it can't be that they are mad about people,  sitting everywhere, on restaurant chairs, on benches, in busses, ....,  in lotus seat!

• Confused 1

25 minutes ago, Guest1 said:

“When you take public transportation, for example, you just don’t put your feet up. It’s common in the West but in Thailand, it’s a big no-no.”

B/c it can't be that they are mad about people,  sitting everywhere, on restaurant chairs, on benches, in busses, ....,  in lotus seat!

Showing the soles of your feet is really the breaking point as far as Thai etiquette is concerned. 

• Thanks 1

Dont you think foreign tourists get annoyed at getting ripped off by Thais at every chance they get from the minute they land at the airport??

Dont Thais understand the resentment they cause when they have different prices for Thais and tourists

Do Thais look back and see what state the country was in without tourists during Covid-19

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Dressing appropriately at temples? There is one popular Thai temple here in CM by the water and most inapprpriately dressed people you will see there are Thai girls and women. Skimpy shorts, strap shirts, you name it. Thai in most cases don't care. Only thing everyone does really do are take their shoes off.

And for the spirit house, this is BS. This was just one the news about 2 months ago showing one foreing woman sitting at a table that was the table for a shrine. I think it was at Erawan. someone is trying to make one mole hill story populk\arised story on the news into a false mountain. Perhaps it is the writer of this story. And Thai don't think the best food comes from a mall or food court. It is just the convenience of a closed cool aiorconditioned mall and something to do. As for crossing your leg on the sky train or what ever, Thai do not care about this at all. I call BS. Now maybe directly aiming your foot at someone may get a stare, but not much more. 20 -30 years ago maybe, but now no way for most as things are changing. Shoes I say are the biggest, and also not stepping over someone's leg or foot. That is just called respect.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Octopussy said:

Considering how oblivious Thais are to the cultures, customs or even the geographical location of most countries, I find it mildly amusing that they would get so upset about tourists not understanding their unique concerns about spirit house etiquette etc.  They should be happy the hoards will soon be back to be fleeced, scammed and robbed en masse again. 

Guess you've got some bad experience in Thailand? There are 2 airports in BKK which have many flights out of the country. Pack your whataboutism and use one of them. ✈️✈️✈️

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Guest1 said:

In what position do you have to be to put both feet up? 🤔🤔🤔

4 hours ago, Johnmc17 said:

Dont you think foreign tourists get annoyed at getting ripped off by Thais at every chance they get from the minute they land at the airport??

Dont Thais understand the resentment they cause when they have different prices for Thais and tourists

Do Thais look back and see what state the country was in without tourists during Covid-19

I agree with the double pricing. But whataboutism is pretty annoying. Take the criticism. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

After two years of 'disease spreading dirty farang'  propaganda by the Thai government I would have expected a worse outcome of this survey. Pointing feet? Wearing shorts in a temple?  If that's all it's not that bad.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Johnmc17 said:

Thai culture/ making falangs pay extra!

We’ve been considered rich by their standards! 
Many Thais just dont get the fact that usually a two or three week vacation surrounds  a annual savings plan!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Johnmc17 said:

Quite enjoyable actually. Went to Wat Pho and were able to take photos of the reclining Buddha without the hordes of tourists blocking the view. Less traffic in most places.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

Dressing appropriately at temples? There is one popular Thai temple here in CM by the water and most inapprpriately dressed people you will see there are Thai girls and women. Skimpy shorts, strap shirts, you name it. Thai in most cases don't care. Only thing everyone does really do are take their shoes off.

And for the spirit house, this is BS. This was just one the news about 2 months ago showing one foreing woman sitting at a table that was the table for a shrine. I think it was at Erawan. someone is trying to make one mole hill story populk\arised story on the news into a false mountain. Perhaps it is the writer of this story. And Thai don't think the best food comes from a mall or food court. It is just the convenience of a closed cool aiorconditioned mall and something to do. As for crossing your leg on the sky train or what ever, Thai do not care about this at all. I call BS. Now maybe directly aiming your foot at someone may get a stare, but not much more. 20 -30 years ago maybe, but now no way for most as things are changing. Shoes I say are the biggest, and also not stepping over someone's leg or foot. That is just called respect.

I'm not a huge temple guy but I am a huge "you should dress appropriate guy"

My stepson(and nephews and their gf's ) know I expect them to dress nice for flights or any occasion really 

So dressing appropriate for a Temple has never been an issue 

I would never think to wear shorts or a t-shirt to a temple 

I can't say I noticed too many TG's dressed scantily at Temples, but I haven't looked too closely 

As for Mall Food Courts.

They are widely popular and extremely good all over Bangkok 

Terminal 21 is amazing as well as most of the malls 

Now I don't know if they are preferred over street food though but it's a close call I'd say

13 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

I'm not a huge temple guy but I am a huge "you should dress appropriate guy"

My stepson(and nephews and their gf's ) know I expect them to dress nice for flights or any occasion really 

So dressing appropriate for a Temple has never been an issue 

I would never think to wear shorts or a t-shirt to a temple 

I can't say I noticed too many TG's dressed scantily at Temples, but I haven't looked too closely 

As for Mall Food Courts.

They are widely popular and extremely good all over Bangkok 

Terminal 21 is amazing as well as most of the malls 

Now I don't know if they are preferred over street food though but it's a close call I'd say

Shorts are standard at temples. In big attraction temples maybe in Bangkok they might enforce it to the tee or look down upon on a person, but it is getting more lax. Really shorts should be over the knees. I used to go to temples for certain occasions like birthdays etc, and CM it i oh s quite noticeable. Terminal 21 has some nice restaurants. Only ate at that food court once. Generally food courts are just mediocre. I do like the food court at Suvarnabhumi though. Also airport mall CM has a downstairs food court thing and it is ok. The upstairs one 50/50. 

2 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

Shorts are standard at temples. In big attraction temples maybe in Bangkok they might enforce it to the tee or look down upon on a person, but it is getting more lax. Really shorts should be over the knees. I used to go to temples for certain occasions like birthdays etc, and CM it i oh s quite noticeable. Terminal 21 has some nice restaurants. Only ate at that food court once. Generally food courts are just mediocre. I do like the food court at Suvarnabhumi though. Also airport mall CM has a downstairs food court thing and it is ok. The upstairs one 50/50. 

So many of the food courts in Bangkok are really good

Siam Paragon, Terminal 21, Icon Siam

Relatively cheap

I'd never wear shorts to a Temple or Church 

My Mom overdressed us and I have carried that on

Better to be overdressed than underdressed, IMO

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I once visited Al Aqsa mosque in Jerusalem. They were handing out jellabas for the inappropriately dressed tourists. You know, the dress-like outfit for men. But with 40k temples that might be difficult in Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Marc26 said:

So many of the food courts in Bangkok are really good

Siam Paragon, Terminal 21, Icon Siam

Relatively cheap

I'd never wear shorts to a Temple or Church 

My Mom overdressed us and I have carried that on

Better to be overdressed than underdressed, IMO

Yeah Siam Paragon is ok, but these are more restaurants than like a traditional a food court. Traditional Food Courts is what I think the writer is getting at, and most are just middle of the line. Can't count how many time in my decades here have eaten at them and the so many of them, but for us they basically are a fast way to fill a void and then get on with it. Church would have been fully dressed, but I had a naversion to them and never liked going and never will unless someone passes away. As for temples, me and the family always wwhere comfortable and that entails shorts and my daughter will do the same. The shorts are not Hillbilly Daisy duke redneck shorts, but just normal ones. Shirts are noraml with sleeves, so according for her in CM this is par for the course with Thai fold here. Monks don't really care for the most part as I think they see it as money coming in and it gives them some purpose as at least people are stil lcoming in even though a little bit off on the dress code. One picutre below is not so far off with the many Asian girls in a row. Girls dress to feel good and the visit to the temple is probably just part of their plan for stop for the daytime activity. I think the radical religious temple fanatic goers cause the more of a stink, and I sort of look at the younger generation now against the old staunch fanatics and what  the regime protects. Divide is huge now, but again at least the Thai folk still go to the temples to get a good feeling. I normally before Covid went to the temple about 4-5-6 times a year. Apologies to the Mods for the too many images, but needed to post many examples.

image.png.e69d43e08f94936089b901d14e96ad6c.pngimage.png.3e51f2b3a35d229d5f656033eecd68c5.png

image.png.60b7df4fb15dd0a983c358db11e04855.png

image.png.a88568904fbc1a9642979c947e623d70.png

On 8/19/2022 at 5:36 PM, Thaiger said:

The Latvian-based independent online platform, Insider, asked just that in a survey only last month.

Also an Outsider doing the survey. 😀

Thailand is struggling to get tourists back, yet at the same time, a pay for content web site comes up with a; those tourists, read westerners, are 'Disrespecting Thailand', Article.  🙄

You wonder who would pay for that? 🤔 Someone promoting Quality Tourists vs disrespecting low quality  philistines. Or would it be someone who considers Chinese Tourists, the real tourists, and they are not back yet.

Always Mysteries.

t

• Cool 1

Oh yes, the rude foreigners are at it again...

• “When you take public transportation, for example, you just don’t put your feet up. It’s common in the West but in Thailand, it’s a big no-no.”

Yet I've seen so many Thai parents placing their kids standing up on the BTS seat.
Furthermore, I've seen so many times, Thais seating with their feet on the seat at restaurants and fancy condo lobbies. 
In only 4 years living here, I've lost count of how many times I've seen street vendors, tuk tuk drivers, van drivers, fondling with their bare feet on the street. Needless to say, they didn't wash their hands afterwards, quite amusing, given that Thais consider feet the dirtiest part of the body.

• "Another foreigner stereotype is eating at expensive or popular restaurants instead of dining at places where locals go." For real? If High-end fancy restaurants only catered tourists there wouldn't be so many out there, and they would have all disappeared during the pandemic.

• “I’ve seen tourists who are reluctant to go into shrines because they don’t know if they should remove their shoes.”

And why should they know beforehand? Or, maybe they just don't want to take off their shoes, maybe the shrine is not interesting enough to go through the nuisance of taking the shoes, only to put them back on a couple of minutes later.
It is particularly annoying that some shops require the customer to remove the shoes before getting in.

• "Puacksumran also added that tourists should also avoid stepping on the ledge as it’s considered bad luck." 

People from other countries are not as superstitious as you, go figure...

The final popular observation made by locals is how foreigners underestimate how dangerous the roads are in Bangkok. I do agree with this one, 100%

• Cool 1

On 8/20/2022 at 8:27 PM, DesperateOldHand said:

Close the borders.

Problems resolved. 

Return to paradise.

I wouldn't call Thailand Paradise compared to other countries around the world. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, BangkokBruce said:

I wouldn't call Thailand Paradise compared to other countries around the world. 

Everyone has a different idea of paradise though.....

I do get what you are saying.....

But someone could never leave their hometown and to them, that's paradise 

• Like 1