News Forum - Foreign parrot fisher in Krabi says he’s sorry

Thaiger

UPDATE The foreign man spotted parrotfishing off an island in South Thailand’s Krabi province has said today that he is sorry for his actions. The man had been fishing in the Hat Noppharat Thara-Mu Ko Phi Phi National Park. Catching fish in a national park is illegal under Thailand’s National Park Act BE 2562. A storm of Thai netizens went ham calling out the unnamed man, who had posted a TikTok video of himself fishing this week. The netizens pointed out that parrotfish are a protected animal. Following the outrage, the man posted a message on TikTok insisting he didn’t […]

The story Foreign parrotfisher in Krabi says he’s sorry as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I’m angry, my sister is important to the underwater ecosystem. They eat dead coral to prevent algae from covering the coral again.

Do Thai people really refer to, say, fish, as "my sister"?

An amateur might be forgiven for being blissfully unaware of the fact that they might be violating rules & regulations.

However, any professional (spear)fisher would be very conscious of the fact that there are rules anywhere in the world, and would most definitely know that protected species and natural reserves are always a big no-no. (Responsible professionals would additionally do some research and play by the rules.)

This makes the writer of the apology a "clueless professional", which is an oxymoron (btw: that last word can be shortened to something equally appropriate).

PS: I wouldn't be surprised if the writer is merely a self-proclaimed professional (i.e. not one), who honestly never gave it a thought and didn't have a clue whatsoever. The (Thai) boatman who facilitated the trip is at least as accountable (and all the more important, considering future trips).

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, brian60221 said:

Do Thai people really refer to, say, fish, as "my sister"?

The person commenting actually identified as a fish maybe? 

But yeah Thai people refer to animals as sister in a cuter way or sth. 

• Like 2

A hapless tourist taken to the area to fish....I can understand. A "professional" (how do you earn that badge, tournaments with payouts?) spear-fisher should 100% know the rules before plying his trade. His statement, possibly genuine, does does not support his claimed professionalism. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, DiJoDavO said:

The person commenting actually identified as a fish maybe? 

But yeah Thai people refer to animals as sister in a cuter way or sth. 

They do - in a kinda spiritual manner that might not be comprehended by some.

• Like 2

Whichever way you read it this foreigner is not a 'professional' fisherman as any professional would as a matter of course made sure they had the appropriate permissions to fish anywhere. I hope he is tracked down and appropriately punished though if as it would seem he is just an idiot rather than a professional chancer then 5 years in prison might be a tad on the extreme side.

• Like 1

Why is there no mention of the local boat owner who would have taken him there seeing all these netziens are so outraged by this or is it just the foreigner that they ate after?

Edited by Boddown
  • Like 1

As a tourist, or even a 'professional' spearfisher he might or might not have known if he were allowed to fish there. The owner of the boat however should have known that for sure.

Apart from that, do Thai authorities also rush out in full force for every Thai fishing in that area? Or do they only do so for farangs?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Boddown said:

Why is there no mention of the local boat owner who would have taken him there seeing all these netziens are so outraged by this or is it just the foreigner that they ate after?

Whatsa netizen?

Some sort of new virus going around?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mohandas said:

Whatsa netizen?

Some sort of new virus going around?

It's folk like you and me Mohandas, people hanging around on obscure forums, and posting comments on everything 🤣🤣

• Haha 2

And some wonder why we don't like foreigners here, especially of the Farang variety.

Edited by DesperateOldHand

I would rather say that he has declared himself as a "professional killer of the weaker species". Hope the authorities make him face the consequences and after that apologize to him for making him to face the consequences regarding his actions. 

I've done the same thing in my own country inadvertently, and by a very slim margin and not for terribly long due to wind and tide pushing my boat over the boundary line on a chart.  

I'm inclined to empathize with the farang in this case.  He's the easy target for Thais to gang up on, obviously.  Suspect he'll pay a fine, but the local boat Captain will be in the dock for the larger violation.

As for the shallow, reactionary mobs on Twaddle?   Meh, they'll be outraged about something else tomorrow.

6 hours ago, Janneman said:

As a tourist, or even a 'professional' spearfisher he might or might not have known if he were allowed to fish there. The owner of the boat however should have known that for sure.

Apart from that, do Thai authorities also rush out in full force for every Thai fishing in that area? Or do they only do so for farangs?

Thai poachers tend to be more discrete. WhenThais boast on social media they get caught just like this POS.

The Thai government has to set an example here. I think the overwhelming symapthy lies with the dead fish and not some narcissist egomaniac, which this person appears to be.