News Forum - TikTok post accuses Phuket restaurant of unfair, unlisted prices

Thaiger

Gourmet meal or a price-gouging steal? An angry restaurant owner is firing back at a TikTok post claiming he was overcharging after a customer racked up a bill of over 10,000 baht. The restaurant in question is Khon Boran on Ranong Road in Phuket Town, while the TikTok poster, a Thai tourist, says he paid too much for his meal, the owner insists his prices are based on the quality and size of the meals he serves. The tourist did admit that he was dining with a big group and that they ordered a number of special meals, but complained […]

The story TikTok post accuses Phuket restaurant of unfair, unlisted prices as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I could hear the prison shackles of the Tik-Tok "offender" rattling before I finished reading that story! 

Amazing Criminal Justice Thailand.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

Regardless of the difference of opinion on costs, the owner may face scrutiny for the lack of displayed price.

If the prices are hidden, I'd pick another restaurant

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DoUKnowWhoIAm said:

Indeed.  How dumb do you have to be to order food with no prices attached. It never ceases to amaze me how naïve, unworldly and gullible some people are. 

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

Indeed.  How dumb do you have to be to order food with no prices attached. It never ceases to amaze me how naïve, unworldly and gullible some people are. 

Yes quite then they tell the whole world how stupid they are by posting it on the internet. I have been to plenty of restaurants where they quote a price per kilo for freshly caught seafood and I always ask the waitress what size the fish ( or whatever) they have are so I don’t have a reason to complain when they bring a huge fish that I can’t eat 😄

• Like 2

"The tourist did admit that he was dining with a big group and that they ordered a number of special meals,"

HOw many were in this "big group" if there was 10 - 20 in that group and they were all ordering these special meals it might not be too expensive at the end of the day.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Marble-eye said:

"The tourist did admit that he was dining with a big group and that they ordered a number of special meals,"

HOw many were in this "big group" if there was 10 - 20 in that group and they were all ordering these special meals it might not be too expensive at the end of the day.

That is correct, especially with a big group and some specialty dishes. Did you see the size of the shrimp? Nothing for food especially seafood for in Phuket is cheap. Have to go somewhere else.

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

4 hours ago, DoUKnowWhoIAm said:

The hidden prices means he’s expensive. Prices quoted are dearer than the same thing in Aussie. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marble-eye said:

It mentioned the dishes were 1,800-3,000 baht. If there was 10 that’s a lot per person and there’s no way the food cost of those big prawns would cost anywhere near 1,000-1,500 baht so that’s 1-200% profit less cooking and other ingredients 

48 minutes ago, Giltee said:

It mentioned the dishes were 1,800-3,000 baht. If there was 10 that’s a lot per person and there’s no way the food cost of those big prawns would cost anywhere near 1,000-1,500 baht so that’s 1-200% profit less cooking and other ingredients 

Pretty much presumptuous there Giltee, let's look at the evidence, we simply do not know how many was in their group, it only mentions it was a "big group", we don't know how many special meals they ordered, it just says "a number". So without knowing exactly what they ordered and how many were in the group I think we're heading down Guesstimate Street and more importantly I'm not in the least bit bothered.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Marble-eye said:

Pretty much presumptuous there Giltee, let's look at the evidence, we simply do not know how many was in their group, it only mentions it was a "big group", we don't know how many special meals they ordered, it just says "a number". So without knowing exactly what they ordered and how many were in the group I think we're heading down Guesstimate Street and more importantly I'm not in the least that bothered.

Agreed.

Personally I find it quite distasteful (no pun intended) for a social media post re restaurant complaints to be republished as News.  It damages the reputation of the establishment through almost no reliable data being provided. 

In many ways it smacks of slander or misinformation ... both supposedly against the law ... ???

Note: Small seafood restaurants cannot display set prices and it's charged at 'market price by the kg' .

• Like 3

Clearly missing here how big the group was if it are 10 people and such dishes 1000 a head I think is very fair... if not let them go to a foreign restaurant bill will be 5 times higher

Either way I think it are more then 10 people so what are they moaning about, they shock of the bill they do not shock when they come out of a gogo and see the bill

Edited by ronnie666
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Pinetree said:

Too many, actually. 

Usually derived from the same type.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Giltee said:

There is often 4 of us going out to eat in tourist places like Phuket

Myself, wife, MIL and stepson

If we are eating prawns and other seafood dishes, our bill is 4-5k easy

So I don't see a "big group" costing 10k+ as outrageous, at all

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

In all my years here, I have never paid anywhere near those prices for any meal, however supposed  'high end'. 

23 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Yep...

And if one is a suspicious type, best to pre-check the cautionary. 

Saves angst all around. 

8 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

In all my years here, I have never paid anywhere near those prices for any meal, however supposed  'high end'. 

Yet, a night out with the guys could easily match that. 

B10K or more....

11 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

Not even talking high end, talking on the street

Places like this picture

Get 2 kilos, get a bunch of oysters, some other big seafood dishes, then a bunch of regular Thai dishes and drinks

4-5k easy

cr4.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marc26 said:

, our bill is 4-5k easy

my monthly rent is 3500  to give some perspective....

I can think of other "thai goodies" that sound tasty of Im gonna drop that kind of cash.....

2 hours ago, DesperateOldHand said:

Yet, a night out with the guys could easily match that. 

B10K or more....

me and my 100 baht bottle of sangsom.......done and done..

3 minutes ago, PapayaBokBok said:

my monthly rent is 3500  to give some perspective....

I can think of other "thai goodies" that sound tasty of Im gonna drop that kind of cash.....

Sure, people have different budgets and tastes

From what I read from your posts, you seem pretty happy with your situation, and that is all that matters

6 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

From what I read from your posts, you seem pretty happy with your situation, and that is all that matters

Indeed....had my red curry chicken with fried egg served to me by a cutie who served me my rice in a heart shape <3

40 bt

9 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

but as i mentioned last week about not listing prices here is illegal....but i would never eat at such a place