News Forum - Thailand introduces fine for not wearing seat belt in the back seat

Thaiger

Not wearing a seat belt in the back seat of the car in Thailand will soon be punishable by a 2,000 baht fine. The rule will come into effect 120 after its publication in the Royal Gazette on September 5, 2022. The Royal Gazette wrote the new rule into the Road Traffic Act (No.13) 2022, published on May 7. The act aims to improve road safety, especially for young children. Parents are required to ensure that their children wear a seat belt for the duration of their journey to prevent injuries in the event of an accident. Under Section 123, […]

The story Thailand introduces fine for not wearing seat belt in the back seat as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wait, wasn't that introduced 5 years ago?

Sealt belt wearing on back seats, and a fine if not wearing one? 

Thailand is really confusing people!

32 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

Passengers under 135 centimetres must wear a seat belt at all times while travelling to prevent injuries in the event of an acciden

Wrong. Passangers over 135cm must wear a seat belt while those under 135cm must use a child carseat ( Unless they're over 12y)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Guest1 said:

It'll be forgotten again, just like other traffic laws and rules. The only way is to take on the huge challenge of making people understand the purpose of wearing a seat belt. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, DoUKnowWhoIAm said:

Wrong. Passangers over 135cm must wear a seat belt while those under 135cm must use a child carseat ( Unless they're over 12y)

So a dwarf 13 year old doesn't need a belt    555

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

It’ll be Interesting to see if it’s enforced like the requirement to wear helmets, children riding motorcycles and be a licensed driver. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Giltee said:

It’ll be Interesting to see if it’s enforced like the requirement to wear helmets, children riding motorcycles and be a licensed driver. 

Lol when I came here 19 years ago they started with all the crap of wear your helmet, look 19 years later... 80% does not wear it (but wear the mask)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, DoUKnowWhoIAm said:

It'll be forgotten again, just like other traffic laws and rules. The only way is to take on the huge challenge of making people understand the purpose of wearing a seat belt. 

You mean, charging every single one , if spottet?

Protecting the wallet?

That would even work with helmets, but to.much work for the RTP

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Guest1 said:

Correct. It was years ago. I was recently in a van and the sticker said, wear seatbelt or risk fine.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

Just now, HolyCowCm said:

Correct. It was years ago. I was recently in a van and the sticker said, wear seatbelt or risk fine.

Did the van have any seat belts?  😂

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, ronnie666 said:

Funny thing is many cars do not have at all back seats belts  🤣

That would not be a problem.

If acar is to old, never got one, even in "the real world" theya re exempt.

Or like headrest, even front seat belts, if the car never got some  ecause of to old. And of course, lots of 70/80s cars here dont have seat belts in the back.

But just hiding them, or taking them out, would be a "finable" doing

• Like 1

Love this continuing comedy show. laws introduced that nobody follows and that the police don't understand or care about, unless they can pocket the fines.  The law books are full of them here.  Remember the no one to ride in the back of a pick up, remember the car seats for kids, remember the only two people on a motorbike and helmets to be worn, remember the speed limits, alcohol laws, taxing of cars, vehicle insurance;  I could go on to the bottom of this page.  Laws are no good if there is no ' Rule of Law' that is respected by the public and a competent police force  to enforce them.  The comedy goes on and will never end here .

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

Love this continuing comedy show. laws introduced that nobody follows and that the police don't understand or care about, unless they can pocket the fines.  The law books are full of them here.  Remember the no one to ride in the back of a pick up, remember the car seats for kids, remember the only two people on a motorbike and helmets to be worn, remember the speed limits, alcohol laws, taxing of cars, vehicle insurance;  I could go on to the bottom of this page.  Laws are no good if there is no ' Rule of Law' that is respected by the public and a competent police force  to enforce them.  The comedy goes on and will never end here .

Problem is police enforce the law when they assigned for example to stop people that do not wear a helmet. If they not assigned you can just pass by the police officer he will not stop you... plain stupid

• Like 4

2 hours ago, DoUKnowWhoIAm said:

They have to start somewhere. It can only be a good thing. Rear seat belts are more difficult to enforce than front belts than front belts because they aren’t easy to see unless you stop the car and look inside. I can remember when front belts were first made compulsory in UK and I remember that there was a campaign of harrowing tv ads to promote their use. Something similar would be useful here.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, ronnie666 said:

Problem is police enforce the law when they assigned for example to stop people that do not wear a helmet. If they not assigned you can just pass by the police officer he will not stop you... plain stupid

So if he is not instructed to enforce a specific law that day, he will not bother and this is general practice.? 

Never knew that, thank you, very interesting. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevejm said:

They have to start somewhere. It can only be a good thing. Rear seat belts are more difficult to enforce than front belts than front belts because they aren’t easy to see unless you stop the car and look inside. I can remember when front belts were first made compulsory in UK and I remember that there was a campaign of harrowing tv ads to promote their use. Something similar would be useful here.

Wouldn't work in Thailand, another amulet hung off the rear view mirror is all the protection that a Thai needs. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pinetree said:

Nothing stays the same forever. They started introducing radar speed cameras on motorways  a while back which allow enforcement without personal contact with the police. I believe red light cameras are also on the cards. You can be cynical and claim that everything will always stay the same but that isn’t true. Helmet enforcement in Bangkok is much stricter than it used to be. It just takes time. I view every incremental improvement as a step in the right direction.

4 hours ago, DoUKnowWhoIAm said:

I can assure you, the Police do enforce traffic rules.

They get me a few times....

Bless them.

🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I wonder if the rule applies to my Nissan navara from 2015. It is has a small back site cabine  and does not have seat belts in the back