News Forum - 55 tourists from Thailand go AWOL in South Korea

Thaiger

South Korean Immigration officials revealed that 55 Thai tourists have gone missing on Jeju Island. Some 280 Thai tourists entered South Korea last week through Jeju International Airport but 55 of them have gone AWOL Jeju Immigration Service announced that of the 697 Thai nationals who arrived at Jeju Airport from Bangkok through a direct Jeju Airlines flight between Tuesday and Friday, 417 were denied entry and were flown home. The other 280 people who entered the country were part of a planned three-day tourism program. But 55 of them left their tour groups and disappeared and the South Korean […]

The story 55 tourists from Thailand go AWOL in South Korea as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Thais seem to think they can flout immigration laws in foreign countries, but God forbid an illegal alien is caught on their own soil. Then the harshest punishment is dished out and police will make it a top priority to round up the "criminals".

• Like 2

To tall of those complaining about Thailand being tough on immigration and Thais not respecting immigration laws elsewhere, whatever! Get your Thailand living situation sorted or stop crying and go home. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Donald said:

Thais seem to think they can flout immigration laws in foreign countries, but God forbid an illegal alien is caught on their own soil. Then the harshest punishment is dished out and police will make it a top priority to round up the "criminals".

Yet, there's a huge gulf of comparison from everyday Thais and Thai authorities. 

When you refer to Thais, you might consider variable differential between such sub-groups. 

Bob, are you a real person. No contact info and your profile pic looks too young (maybe an avatar?) unless you started reporting from the crib.

In any case, you need to write "through direct flights" or "through a direct route" if they Thais in question flew on multiple days. Must be multiple flights because you wrote "between Tuesday and Friday" and there's barely an airplane in the world that can carry 597 passengers. 

"through a direct Jeju Airlines flight between Tuesday and Friday"

• Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Dancbmac said:

They should have flown to the US if they wanted to get away with ditching immigration and possibly get some free benefits.

They would of never made it on the plane..

2 hours ago, 23RD said:

Some new staff at the Korean Karaoke Bars and massage Parlours this week then.

If they decide that it's too hard work, they will report to Thai Police as a scam and get help from them to fly them back free.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, garyknrd said:

They would of never made it on the plane..

If they had a visa to go there why wouldn’t they make it on the plane?  There are a lot of illegals in the US that overstayed their visas and disappeared into the population.  Basically similar to what the Thais that disappeared in S.Korea.

1 minute ago, Dancbmac said:

If they had a visa to go there why wouldn’t they make it on the plane?  There are a lot of illegals in the US that overstayed their visas and disappeared into the population.  Basically similar to what the Thais that disappeared in S.Korea.

Exactly, they would never get the visa in the first place. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, garyknrd said:

Exactly, they would never get the visa in the first place. 

That makes no sense.  Are you saying no Thai person has received a visa to the US?  Some have gotten student visas and there have been a few that overstayed.  My Thai wife has received a tourist visa before I met her a few years ago and believe it or not she got on a plane and flew to her destination for a convention for her work.  

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Dancbmac said:

That makes no sense.  Are you saying no Thai person has received a visa to the US?  Some have gotten student visas and there have been a few that overstayed.  My Thai wife has received a tourist visa before I met her a few years ago and believe it or not she got on a plane and flew to her destination for a convention for her work.  

When is the last time you have heard of planes full of Thai's being denied entry into the US..  haha

Where are you from?

Edited by garyknrd

1 hour ago, garyknrd said:

When is the last time you have heard of planes full of Thai's being denied entry into the US..  haha

Where are you from?

I made a sarcastic comment that it is easier to be an illegal going to the US based on what is happening there about illegal immigration and knowing some people that overstayed their visas in the US and I’m guessing you didn’t get the sarcasm and needed to add a comment that Thais wouldn’t get on the plane because can’t get a visa to the US.  It isn’t easy and need to be sponsored by a company or a school or the marriage visa and now your last comment implies a whole plane full of Thais were denied entry when the article says 417 were denied entry on flights in a four day period.  The initial article started with 55 disappearing from a 280 tourist group on one of those flights who no doubt wasn’t denied entry or the 55 wouldn’t have “disappeared” which is what I was joking about. I know my wife and 50 of her coworkers got visas and flew to the US for her global company sponsored convention in Las Vegas in which included some tourism, but they all returned to Thailand after a couple of weeks.  My son has a Thai friend in Oregon that overstayed her student visa a few years back so for a while she was an illegal.  Not sure how she resolved her illegal status as she is still living in the States.  I don’t recall ever seeing anything in the news of any plane with being denied entry into the US, but I am sure there have been some in the past that have been denied and just wasn’t newsworthy.  I know when I fly back to the US I see a lot of Thais that “get on the plane” and then other nationalities at one of the layover stops so their never seems to be one nationality on any of my international flights.

• Thanks 1

*An inflammatory, abusive post

has been  removed.*

• Like 1

Occasionally I have to send two to three operators to rework product (in USA) for buyers. It's easier now than in the past. Perhaps because we have a record of returning. There was a time 20 years ago when it was very difficult. Partly because an insurance company sent 25 people for a bonus trip and only 8 returned. It gave everyone a black eye.