News Forum - Thai tourism officials plan to propose new closing time for tourist areas

Thaiger

Thai tourism officials plan to propose a new closing time for night venues in tourist-heavy areas. The Tourism and Sports Minister plans to propose that the closing time move to 4am in these areas, as ‘high season’ is coming in October. He said the ministry plans to suggest the idea to the CCSA next month (September). Minister Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn has said that this new closing time would only apply to areas that are hotspots for foreign tourists. He said… “However, the opening hour extensions will be in specific zones in tourist cities such as Khaosan Road in Bangkok, Walking Street […]

The story Thai tourism officials plan to propose new closing time for tourist areas as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Its all about the customers and the ones who stand to make money!

Unfortunately the workers and their families are in the middle “at times” with no recourse other than finding a new job! It is what it is!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Smiler said:

Must admit I feel sorry for the people who work in these places

Wouldn't express too much false empathy, as these good folks aren't truly dependent on a foolish and faux tourism market. 

3 hours ago, Smiler said:

Must admit I feel sorry for the people who work in these places

Wow the sanctimony is just oozing. Do you also feel sorry for the employees in Ibiza and Mykonos and Berlin with many places open until late morning!? Or is that only reserved for Thailand?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Manu said:

1am, 2am, 4am... Does any of this make any sense at all???

I actually do think 4am makes the most sense

I lived in NYC for 13 years

Bars and clubs close at 4am or even later

I lived in Boston and Vancouver for a lo f time as well where places close strictly at 1-2am

You don't see the fighting in the streets in NYC that you do in Vancouver when all the patrons come out of all the different bars together 

If a place closes at 4am, people will leave at all different times

And we all know Thailand has a bunch of after hour places

Well if you keep the normal places open until 4am you don't have that mass migration of drunk people moving across the city, which will reduce incidents 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

I actually do think 4am makes the most sense

I lived in NYC for 13 years

Bars and clubs close at 4am or even later

I lived in Boston and Vancouver for a lo f time as well where places close strictly at 1-2am

You don't see the fighting in the streets in NYC that you do in Vancouver when all the patrons come out of all the different bars together 

Well if you keep the normal places open until 4am you don't have that mass migration of drunk people moving across the city, which will reduce incidents 

Also if the official closing time is 4am it reduces corruption and the tea money paid to keep the “after hours” places open. 

On the fighting in New York, you haven’t been to Ktown for a good 3am brawl. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4am and then the after after hour ones till 6am. If they include the Bangkok Sukhumvit area then this would be interesting as almost like Thailand in the older days. For me only if I have a visiting friend from abroad would I take the open time to watch the Sun one up, but I like the idea of opening the throttle open a little more. 

• Like 2

remember when they tried to do similar zoning in Pattaya?

They have to decide who is in or out of a zone - it will just end in chaos or being disregarded.

• Like 1

Extending closing times is a good thing.

But if they want Tourism to really recover, they need to ask their colleagues in the health ministry to dial back the Covid fear and start actively encouraging Thais to stop wearing masks. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rc1 said:

Extending closing times is a good thing.

RTP will love it, as more brown envelopes and fines to make from made up charges. Lots of overtime as well …. 😉😉😉

On 8/6/2022 at 8:33 PM, JJJ said:

Wow the sanctimony is just oozing. Do you also feel sorry for the employees in Ibiza and Mykonos and Berlin with many places open until late morning!? Or is that only reserved for Thailand?

True, I worked bar in a Cyprus for many years, stated at 5.30 and closed when the last customer left, usually at 3am ish, sometimes longer, people were on holiday, why should i mind! Got paid €10 a day, a jobs a job, tips  we're good when the owners son didn't come in at the end of a shift and take his "share"

• Like 1

Never have had a 'good' feeling late night in the Pattaya zone.  Can sit back out of the fray and watch the watchers watching, looking for a weak mark to separate from the herd and take down.  Past 10 or 11pm, I feel tension in the air, like it's about to kick off and my personal threat radar is spinning at high RPMs as I exfil the hell out of there.  Bad enough at 2am.  4am is well past it.   Upside is Thaiger will have plenty police blotter content to amuse us with the next day. 😋 

Probably why I always preferred it over on the Dark Side.  Was more of a local resident vibe and if you did stumble into a popular/crowded place on the Hill, wasn't too hard to suss out the lost foreign tourists from the local boys,  who're typically off in a corner rolling their eyes at the silly kooks.  "Check Bin!"  🚀

On 8/6/2022 at 9:22 PM, Marc26 said:

Huuh?

7 hours ago, WilliamG said:

Huuh?

Have you ever been to a bar? Ever been around drunk people?

Have you ever been to after hours in Thailand? Bars close at Nana, etc and everyone moves, en masse, to the after hour spots

Groups of drunk people fight, have accidents...........

• Confused 1

On 8/7/2022 at 2:36 AM, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

RTP will love it, as more brown envelopes and fines to make from made up charges. Lots of overtime as well …. 😉😉😉

Sure.

Someone has to profit from it.