Lampang.

Thaidup

Just a few pics of what it is like to live outside of BKK or CM.

We go to the local market like this, so you don't want to ever move here.

CIMG0701.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Lampang city isn't too bad. I was there once back in 2015 with my then girlfriend whose home is in Lampang city.

Quite amazed by the amount of ruins that can be found in the city mixed with modern day shops and houses next to them. Kinda like Ayutthaya ruins but on a smaller scale.

20150118_123953.thumb.jpg.78eaaf202a6b0de96b7ac1d63e3cf295.jpg

There's also a visit to the temple of Lampang's most famous monk - LP Kasem. I was really eager to come to this temple to rent a few amulets but also feel a bit sad with how LP Kasem's relative treated the late monk's remains. 

Basically the story that I read is after the monk's passing his body is basically put in a transparent coffin to show that his body doesn't decay. These sort of mummification miracles have been documented to happen to other monks before but in LP Kasem's case it seems that his body is put on display to sought donations.

LP Kasem's kutti:

20150117_155451.thumb.jpg.1f8669a3e5154e04b400037a6683c623.jpg

Other than that Lampang has a quiet idyllic peaceful charm to it. Would have loved to retire there but then again I love sea fishing and my wife (different person than my Lampang ex-gf) also loves the seaside so we will most probably settle at somewhere near the seaside.

My Bangkok born wife seems to have a distaste for northerners and even more so after hearing that I once had a Lampang girlfriend. She said that northerners are superstitious.  Not sure about that but I did see flower garlands hung on power poles while I was there. I have seen flower garlands on trees or other natural objects since Thais believe spirits may reside there but on man made power poles? That's a first for me. Maybe they are more superstitious.

Edited by KaptainRob
Excessive photos - read the FG's please
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

There is a folk lore about Lampang Wat Luaung, was that when the Kings elephant was returning with the jade buddha from north to south it stopped at the current site and would not move, they chipped a piece off that jade to leave and then built the temple, and the elephant then carried on to Krungthep, That is my broken thai/english understanding , as best as i can remember anyway, hope you find it interesting.

Sadly my old note 4 camera shows hazey pics,  but a local young monk has begun a construction of a new temple where an old one once was, I took some pics from up there and was surprised how far we could see.

20220915_154053.jpg

20220915_154640.jpg

Edited by KaptainRob
excess photos removed

On 8/16/2022 at 11:30 AM, Noble_Design said:

Lampang city isn't too bad. I was there once back in 2015 with my then girlfriend whose home is in Lampang city.

Quite amazed by the amount of ruins that can be found in the city mixed with modern day shops and houses next to them. Kinda like Ayutthaya ruins but on a smaller scale.

20150118_123953.thumb.jpg.78eaaf202a6b0de96b7ac1d63e3cf295.jpg

There's also a visit to the temple of Lampang's most famous monk - LP Kasem. I was really eager to come to this temple to rent a few amulets but also feel a bit sad with how LP Kasem's relative treated the late monk's remains. 

Basically the story that I read is after the monk's passing his body is basically put in a transparent coffin to show that his body doesn't decay. These sort of mummification miracles have been documented to happen to other monks before but in LP Kasem's case it seems that his body is put on display to sought donations.

LP Kasem's kutti:

20150117_155451.thumb.jpg.1f8669a3e5154e04b400037a6683c623.jpg

Other than that Lampang has a quiet idyllic peaceful charm to it. Would have loved to retire there but then again I love sea fishing and my wife (different person than my Lampang ex-gf) also loves the seaside so we will most probably settle at somewhere near the seaside.

My Bangkok born wife seems to have a distaste for northerners and even more so after hearing that I once had a Lampang girlfriend. She said that northerners are superstitious.  Not sure about that but I did see flower garlands hung on power poles while I was there. I have seen flower garlands on trees or other natural objects since Thais believe spirits may reside there but on man made power poles? That's a first for me. Maybe they are more superstitious.

I'm a city guy, have always lived in big cities

So I'm lucky 

My wife was born in the village but soky time between village and BKK growing up

And her village is only 1 1/2 hours from BKK 

So we have the best of both worlds 

• Like 1

On 9/19/2022 at 8:13 AM, Marc26 said:

I'm a city guy, have always lived in big cities

So I'm lucky 

My wife was born in the village but soky time between village and BKK growing up

And her village is only 1 1/2 hours from BKK 

So we have the best of both worlds 

Your wife is from Suphan isn't it? My wife's from there too, at Samchuk near the Talad Roi Pee (hundred year market).

However both of us agreed that we can't stay there when we retired. We need the sea and mountains hence we bought a land at Chanthaburi.

On 9/20/2022 at 6:32 PM, Noble_Design said:

Your wife is from Suphan isn't it? My wife's from there too, at Samchuk near the Talad Roi Pee (hundred year market).

However both of us agreed that we can't stay there when we retired. We need the sea and mountains hence we bought a land at Chanthaburi.

Yes 

She is from Doem Bang, 20mins from Singburi

Her village is stunning 

Our plan is to build a house there

Split time between Thailand and Boston

Likely 3-4 months in Boston and the rest in Thailand 

I'd head to Phuket, Samui or another beach are for month long stays once or twice per year 

I've heard Chanthaburi is fantastic 

We have only gone as far as Koh Samet

That far east side is on my agenda for our 2024 stay 

20220501_114506.jpg

20220501_113813.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/20/2022 at 7:22 PM, Marc26 said:

Yes 

She is from Doem Bang, 20mins from Singburi

Her village is stunning 

Our plan is to build a house there

Split time between Thailand and Boston

Likely 3-4 months in Boston and the rest in Thailand 

I'd head to Phuket, Samui or another beach are for month long stays once or twice per year 

I've heard Chanthaburi is fantastic 

We have only gone as far as Koh Samet

That far east side is on my agenda for our 2024 stay 

20220501_114506.jpg

20220501_113813.jpg

That looks like a beautiful area, And seems similar to Lampang, Let me post the same amount of pics from a Doi in our village in Lampang to give a little contrast, Thailand is such a contrasting and beautiful country, from the sea to the mountains and valleys farrangs can find happiness here.😻

20220915_154101.jpg

20220915_154200.jpg

1 hour ago, Thaidup said:

That looks like a beautiful area, And seems similar to Lampang, Let me post the same amount of pics from a Doi in our village in Lampang to give a little contrast, Thailand is such a contrasting and beautiful country, from the sea to the mountains and valleys farrangs can find happiness here.😻

20220915_154101.jpg

20220915_154200.jpg

Lampang, and a lot of places up north seem to have trees that are more similar to trees in Northeast US, where I am from

The best way to explain them is "foresty"

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

I took the wife here last year, She had never been there before and was non stop on facebook live about it, my photos won't do it justice, honestly it is a hard walk up but the views are worth everything, This short YT video does better to show it than any of my pics.

Wat Chaloem Prakiat