News Forum - Disgraced cop Joe Ferrari hasn’t repented says lawyer

Thaiger

The lawyer who leaked the video of disgraced cop Joe Ferrari murdering a drug suspect does not believe he has repented. The claim is in response to an announcement by Ferrari’s family yesterday who said the former high-profile police officer has acknowledged his part in the death of the drug suspect and accepted he will spend the rest of his life behind bars. Thitisan Utthanaphon, aka. Ferrari, was sentenced to the death penalty on June 8 this year for his part in the murder of 24 year old Chiraphong Thanapat. The sentence was eventually commuted to life in prison because […]

The story Disgraced cop Joe Ferrari hasn’t repented says lawyer as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

3 hours ago, Thaiger said:

accepted he will spend the rest of his life behind bars.

Really? Note - I am not a lawyer so….. Individual Royal Pardons are generally considered only after 12 years imprisonment. “Group” Pardons (aka amnesties but are actually sentence commutations) for the majority of prisoners are granted on special occasions eg: every 12th birthday of certain royals, Constitution Day etc. Because Isuzu Joe has a long sentence, he becomes eligible for “group” pardons after 8 years served. Two of those should reduce his overall sentence to 30 years and he becomes eligible for parole after 1/3 served (10 years). 

• Like 1

Thitisan being granted a royal pardon, which would reduce his actual prison term to just 5-7 years from life.

Think we live on a Monopoly board and all the bad guys land on Chance for a "get out of jail free card"

54 minutes ago, Fanta said:

Two of those should reduce his overall sentence to 30 years and he becomes eligible for parole after 1/3 served (10 years). 

You are not using the right calculator.😅

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, palooka said:

You are not using the right calculator.😅

5-7 years is bollocks. Not going to happen. Probably not right calculator as I don’t have a Thai calculator 😃 I didn’t want to write too much but I should have added this… 

He is eligible for a “group” pardon only after 8 years served. Pardons reduce overall sentence, they do not increase the time already served. Maximum pardon is 50% of his current sentence. He needs at least 2 pardons to go from Life —> 50 —-> 25 years. Pardons are irregular but average once every 2 years. 8+2+2= 12 plus a year to organize his parole = less than 15 years served. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Fanta said:

5-7 years is bollocks. Not going to happen. Probably not right calculator as I don’t have a Thai calculator 😃 I didn’t want to write too much but I should have added this… 

He is eligible for a “group” pardon only after 8 years served. Pardons reduce overall sentence, they do not increase the time already served. Maximum pardon is 50% of his current sentence. He needs at least 2 pardons to go from Life —> 50 —-> 25 years. Pardons are irregular but average once every 2 years. 8+2+2= 12 plus a year to organize his parole = less than 15 years served. 

Perhaps the only remorse he’s shown is that he got caught. I can’t see him spending more than 10 years. They’ll wait for it to die down then quietly pardon and release him. 

• Like 1