Russian Ambassador to Japan offers flowers at Hiroshima atomic bomb memorial

BigHewer

Russian ambassador to Japan Mikhail Galuzin made a solo visit Thursday to pay his respects at Hiroshima’s atomic bomb memorial, two days before the 77th anniversary of the dropping of the atomic bomb on the city near the end of World War II.

The visit caused some controversy after Galuzin had been officially uninvited from the official ceremony on Friday, due to Russia’s invasion of Ukraine. 

Speaking to reporters, Mr. Galuzin reaffirmed Russia’s commitment to nuclear disarmament and criticized the United States.

Source: The Mainichi, Japan’s National Daily. https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20220804/p2g/00m/0na/056000c

5 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

They don't do irony do they.

True that. Some commitment to peace and disarmament, they have.

Kudos to the Japanese press for just reporting what happened and letting the reader decide.

That said, I haven’t met a single Japanese person supporting Russia since Feb. 24th. And I’ve spoken to dozens of people about it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rookiescot said:

I always find the Japanese I meet to be well educated, well informed and polite.

And they do enjoy a good whisky 😀.

That they do 😁 Vodka, however, is well out of favor at the moment.

I speak with internationally educated engineers in my work, and I live in a “rough” area where the 7-11 parking lot is a de facto beer garden. I interact with all types and at every level, the locals here condemn the invasion. 

• Like 2

Japanese are the most open minded out of all the Asians, IMO

We have all types of Asians in Vancouver, and by far, the Japanese are the most you will see out and about at all different type of restaurants

They are also the most laid back

In Tokyo we had a blast with them in Piss Alley and Golden Gai

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NorskTiger said:

No matter who is in favor of nuclear disarmament, I will be grand enough to agree with him/her.

At the same time Russian media actively promotes the idea of dropping an Atomic Bomb on the Ukraine, France, London or the US. That is state run media. I would not call that nuclear disarmament. In fact I would call what the Russian ambassador is doing, playing the fool.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Mudshark said:

At the same time Russian media actively promotes the idea of dropping an Atomic Bomb on the Ukraine, France, London or the US. That is state run media. I would not call that nuclear disarmament. In fact I would call what the Russian ambassador is doing, playing the fool.

Sometimes a bluff is the best move when playing from a position of weakness. And sometimes a bluff is not a bluff. 

On 8/5/2022 at 1:09 AM, Rookiescot said:

They don't do irony do they.

Nor do the true bad guys and instigators. 

Truer colours can never be revealed.

1 hour ago, DesperateOldHand said:

Nor do the true bad guys and instigators. 

Truer colours can never be revealed.

When you are the big dog you get to do what you want. 3rd world countries like Russia, China and India need to do what they are told.

Such is life.

13 hours ago, Fanta said:

Sometimes a bluff is the best move when playing from a position of weakness. And sometimes a bluff is not a bluff. 

Promotes?  Or is not slow in making reference to the concept of "nuclear deterrent" issues?  A sad  fact  is that   a "bluff" is deceptive in any context.

15 hours ago, Mudshark said:

Only one nation has dropped atomic bombS and it was not Russia. Media rhetoric is the same whtehr it is made by state-run/corporate US or Russian media. It may or may not exist.  

And there is a big difference between media and one official saying something. 

20 hours ago, NorskTiger said:

Only one nation has dropped atomic bombS and it was not Russia. Media rhetoric is the same whtehr it is made by state-run/corporate US or Russian media. It may or may not exist.  

And there is a big difference between media and one official saying something. 

Not much [if any] difference, though - regardless of where it originates. 

The dominant paradigm shows no colours.

• Like 1