Jump to content

News Forum - Thai PM Prayut orders safety inspections of entertainment venues after Mountain B fire


Thaiger
 Share

Recommended Posts

Thailand’s Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha has ordered government agencies to conduct safety inspections of entertainment venues following the devastating fire which occurred last night at Mountain B pub on Sukhumvit Road in Sattahip district of Chon Buri province, killing 13 people and injuring at least 41 more. PM Prayut has ordered the relevant agencies to work with the pub owner to provide assistance to the injured and the families of the deceased, according to government spokesperson Thanakorn Wangboonkongchana. A team has been assigned to investigate the true cause of the fire. PM Prayut would like to express his condolences to […]

The story Thai PM Prayut orders safety inspections of entertainment venues after Mountain B fire as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

ordered government agencies to conduct safety inspections

How about doing safety inspections before an insurance occurs?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha has ordered government agencies to conduct safety inspections of entertainment venues

It's always the same. Not just the 'reactive approach' as @Ramanathan.P just said, but this has happened so many times over the years.

I seem to remember perhaps fifteen years ago and also twenty years ago fatal fires occurred at nightclubs.
At the time, whoever was in charge each time said exactly the same thing about checking all the venues, making sure the tragedy wouldn't happen again.

Of course it will happen again. There is no one interested in seriously attacking the problem to prevent it.

Those at the top make the right noises while it's in the public eye, that's as far as it goes.
Perhaps there will be new laws introduced, which like the hundreds of other laws can be ignored, or more than likely can find someone willing to pay an official to ignore them.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

If a reactive approach keeps managing to fade away in time without causing a fuss, that indicates that the number/effect of such incidents is small enough to not have a lasting, major impact, in which case a short-lived, reactive approach makes sense (*). 

The alternative is a further and near-permanent tightening of regulations that direct peoples lives, until (and then beyond the point that) you can get fined for sneezing in a public space or for changing a lightbulb without being a licensed electrician.

Doing absolutely nothing is just as bad as taking it to the extreme just sketched, but until incidents like this start having a noticeable impact (when a society starts complaining), a temporary reaction is fine & preferred by me.

(*) For the victims and their family it's obviously a very major incident. The above should not be taken as a diminishment of that.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The nightclub only had one small door at the front meaning many lost their lives because they couldn’t exit in time.

Do Thais even understand the word SAFETY ???

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, palooka said:

The nightclub only had one small door at the front meaning many lost their lives because they couldn’t exit in time.

Do Thais even understand the word SAFETY ???

This is my opinion on it, FWIW.
I think there seems to be two factors regarding the lack of safety.

One is education, or lack of it, along with personal responsibility. I've spoken to so many Thais here who have no understanding and no interest in what us ferangs see as safety,
Whether talking about driving, or safety when carrying out everyday jobs, it's not only the lack of education about safety, but also being discouraged to think for themselves, starting at school.

The other is Buddhist thinking about dharma and reincarnation. Thais seem to think that it's just the way it is, and if they die they will come back as someone or something else.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

This is my opinion on it, FWIW.
I think there seems to be two factors regarding the lack of safety.

One is education, or lack of it, along with personal responsibility. I've spoken to so many Thais here who have no understanding and no interest in what us ferangs see as safety,
Whether talking about driving, or safety when carrying out everyday jobs, it's not only the lack of education about safety, but also being discouraged to think for themselves, starting at school.

The other is Buddhist thinking about dharma and reincarnation. Thais seem to think that it's just the way it is, and if they die they will come back as someone or something else.

I think people overstate the Buddhism aspect

I don't know any Thais that are ok dying

 

It's the lack of safety education, as you and others stated

But most guys complain about beauracacy in their home countries then shake their head in places like Thailand

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Another question ponders me......I did see that there are used rubber car tyres stored on the roof top at the back of the building. These are combustible materials which can aggravates the fire.....Not sure why? End of the day it is the dollars and cents that makes the priority......everything else is compromised

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Ramanathan.P said:

Another question ponders me......I did see that there are used rubber car tyres stored on the roof top at the back of the building. These are combustible materials which can aggravates the fire.....Not sure why? End of the day it is the dollars and cents that makes the priority......everything else is compromised

It was the sound prooffing on the ceiling and shoddy electrical work that was just done. The combustable sound proofing made it a raining inferno. If you search a thai site you might be able to find the video a kid took on his phone. Horrifying and so sad.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, palooka said:

Do Thais even understand the word SAFETY ???

ROAD safety comes to mind ….. didn’t they come in second this year? Have not hear PM jumping on high horse for RTP to do more. More road stops to come, yeah right. Next will be ferry accident with cry for licence checks, oh and just wait for next bus crash to. Safety and corruption seam to go hand in hand.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By posting on Thaiger Talk you agree to the Terms of Use