Which Visa for a 4 month stay

Jamman5v1

I am traveling to thailand for 4 months. I was going to get a TV, but was wondering if they would allow me to get at US consulate if my ticket shows return flight 4 months later (believe TV is good for 60 initially). Do I only book one way ticket if go this route or keep RT ticket and just get visa on arrival with more border runs? thanks in advance

The Thai Embassy requests a round flight ticket for a TV.
You could change the return date after entering Thailand.
» Visa procedures for Non-Thai nationals wishing to obtain Tourist visa (Single Entry) (thaiembdc.org)

The TV permits a stay of 60 days on entry, which can be extended for a further 30 days.
You'd need to then do a border run to renter VE (30 days), which can also be extended for a further 30 days.

You may be able to qualify for the METV, but would still require a border run to attain a 4-month stay.
» Visa and Certificate of Entry procedures for Non-Thai nationals wishing to obtain Tourist visa (Multiple Entries) (thaiembdc.org)

The STV is the other option, grants a stay of 90 days and can be extended locally for a further 2 x 90 day stays.
» Visa and Thailand Pass procedures for Non-Thai nationals wishing to obtain Special Tourist Visa (STV) (thaiembdc.org)

Thanks. Great information!  Since I will be visiting other countries while there I assume the TV gets voided if I leave and becomes visa exempt upon reentry?  My new plan seems to be to do V exempt with a 4 month RT ticket but also show ticket flying to Vietnam or something about 45 days after arrival with story being I will be traveling through out Asia and flying home from BKK again. It might require 2 reentries into Thailand after arrival. Does that sound feasible. What is limit on reentries for visa exempt even though I won't be maxing out each 60 days trying to work the system?

You can purchase a single or multiple re-entry permit to allow exit/entries at your local Immigration office to protect that 60 day permission of stay granted from a TV on entry.

The airlines will require a ticket out within 30 days if you plan to enter VE.

Land border entries are restricted to 2 entries per annum.

From your plan, the METV is valid for 6 months for entry into Thailand.
Each entry grants a stay of 60 days.

You don't state your age or employment criteria.
For the METV if retired, you'd need to contact the Embassy first to ascertain if they'd issue it on that basis.

• Thanks 1

If you're going to do a visa run in another country make sure you get another 60 day tourist visa. Don't come back without a visa thinking they will let you in with the visa exemption. If you come with a visa the immigration officer will only look at your visa and nothing else. If you don't have a visa, they look through your whole passport and calculate your stays in Thailand. If they find you suspicious they will denied your entry. I learned that the hard way. Always enter Thailand with visa. 

12 minutes ago, Shin said:

If you're going to do a visa run in another country make sure you get another 60 day tourist visa. Don't come back without a visa thinking they will let you in with the visa exemption. If you come with a visa the immigration officer will only look at your visa and nothing else. If you don't have a visa, they look through your whole passport and calculate your stays in Thailand. If they find you suspicious they will denied your entry. I learned that the hard way. Always enter Thailand with visa. 

You failed to state your previous history over the last 12 months though in your topic.
https://thethaiger.com/talk/topic/16296-visa-run-to-cambodia-denied-visa-exemption-back-into-thailand-denied-was-told-im-not-a-tourist/#comment-235137

The OP should have no problem staying 4 months if he first obtains a TV.
Its multiple entries within a 12-month period that raise suspicions

thank you for good advice.  I am 46 but retired. I will try and get METV from consulate. If not then just a TV, and last resort would be Visa Exempt.

thanks again