Bali plans 5-year visa scheme for digital nomads as island stalls reopening

Thaiger

Digital nomads in Bali will be granted a 5-year visa, according to Indonesia’s tourism minister. The government is waiting until the Covid-19 situation improves before reopening the island to foreign tourists. To revive the tourist island’s economy after the pandemic, tourism officials hope to attract more digital nomads, online-based business owners and people who work remotely. Under a proposed scheme, the foreigners will be granted 5-year visas with no taxes on foreign-sourced income, according to Indonesia’s Minister for Tourism and the Cultural Economy, Sandiaga Uno. “If they earn income within Indonesia they will be taxed but if it’s solely from overseas […]

The post Bali plans 5-year visa scheme for digital nomads as island stalls reopening appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Well Thailand could learn something from that, they always try to copy everything anyway from other countries, but nomad visa in Thailand is ridicules and useless what they offer like many other visas.. Thailand experts in making it useless and difficult and create disappointments for the foreigner...because they simply do not care at all about foreigners... besides of course our bank accounts ?

Edited by Paco
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Paco said:

Well Thailand could learn something from that, they always try to copy everything anyway from other countries, but nomad visa in Thailand is ridicules and useless what they offer like many other visas.. Thailand experts in making it useless and difficult and create disappointments for the foreigner...because they simply do not care at all about foreigners... besides of course our bank accounts ?

Wish they have a like button ?

Agreed Paco, the Bali scheme seems easy and clean. No tax on out of the country income and a full five  year visa. It's like they actually want you to come for work. Maybe that's the biggest difference with the overly complex and bureaucratic Thai proposal. 

• Like 1

Well another example of Thais with thier big opinion of Thailand losing a profitable income from foriegners.

They think they are so great, but the next countries are greater!

Starve you stupid Thais . . .

4 hours ago, Paco said:

Well Thailand could learn something from that ...

Postponing opening the borders to tourists?  Beyond any doubt.

2 hours ago, EdwardV said:

The Bali scheme seems easy and clean ...

Agreed, @EdV, none of  Thailand's complexity and bureaucracy.

Just pay between $750 and $5,000 for your visa depening on your country and income, and make a deposit of $142,300 ($178,000 per family) which is refundable depending on tax paid and time spent in country, and it couldn't be easier and cleaner.

I wonder what the reaction would be to Thailand proposing something like that .....

4 hours ago, Gexsod said:

Great news, would be nice if neighbouring countries did the same. ?

Charge $5,000 for a visa and make those applying put $142,300 on deposit, only refundable if you stay and pay tax?

I'm not sure who that would be "nice" for ... ?

18 hours ago, EdwardV said:

Agreed Paco, the Bali scheme seems easy and clean. No tax on out of the country income and a full five  year visa. It's like they actually want you to come for work. Maybe that's the biggest difference with the overly complex and bureaucratic Thai proposal. 

You are missing one point. You have to LIVE in Bali; hahaha, I can see most of these comments come from people who sound like they have never been to Bali. While the images are beautiful, living there is a whole other thing. Great if you are a good surfer, have money and a house. Horrible if you are anything else. I am not kidding. Bali is filthy, and the ocean is insanely polluted. Balinese blame Javanese and vice versa. Either way, traffic and trash. It's nothing like it used to be decades ago.

While Thailand might have some issues and 'finer details' in their plan, while sounding mysterious and exciting, I can assure you Bali is nothing more a strict Muslim (Most Balinese are Hindi) but governed by Shira laws. They want your money to ignite their flailing economy, but they would prefer you NOT to be there, and it will show.

As a surfer and former shareholder of one of the world's largest surfwear companies, I have spent many decades around Indonesia, its Islands and its neighbours doing business and surfing, and I can honestly tell you DO YOUR RESEARCH. We (people who have spent time in both countries) have a saying, "If the surf in Thailand were better, no one would go to Bali." - Peace.

• Cool 1

@scotty

Can be but at least they make it easy, Thailand never does make anything easy for any foreigner.. they only think from their vision, money! If they make it easier they get a lot more income in and make it a lot more pleasant for us.. they want us but they do not want to make it easier at all ever... greed will give them nothing... 18 years I work on the internet, so long they do not offer anything  reasonable I will keep on doing what I am doing... they lose not me. I want to do it legally, but they never give you an option and when they have one it is a ridicules option and useless.. AMAZING THAILAND.. time they change in that and admit they fail with these ridicules new visas, they have to change to make it work, they 20 steps behind.. we not crazy, however they are and time to make something we can really use and benefit from, now we do not benefit and Thailand either... brainless

Edited by Paco
  • Like 1