News Forum - What you need to know before buying an EV Car (2022)

Thaiger

Looking to make the transition from a traditionally powered car to a full eclectic vehicle (EV)? The EV market in Thailand is only getting started, and more people are becoming interested in driving EV cars. Given the skyrocketing price of oil and the negative environmental effects of emissions, it seems inevitable that EV cars will soon replace fossil fuel vehicles. Plus, EV cars offer a smooth driving experience and comfort. However, buying an EV car can be a challenging task if you’ve never had one before. So, if you are considering taking the plunge to EV cars this year, here […]

The story What you need to know before buying an EV Car (2022) as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

48 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

For instance, the battery change fee for Tesla can cost around 162,000 to 220,000 Baht.

How often do you need to change the battery?

The Mercedes Benz do a double A class electric vehicle which holds just short of 10,000 batteries, Lazada are selling 16 of these batteries for about 230 baht. So 10,000 of these little batteries would cost about 4 million baht and be warned if you buy this Mercedes double A Class, batteries are not included.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Lions and tigers and bears, oh my!

Compare that to the cost of electricity while running Ev’s ,Swimming pool and Air Con! Frightening!

• Like 1

Always almost completely ignored by advocates of EV's is the carbon footprint of manufacturing, which is about double that of a petrol or diesel vehicle.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

16 hours ago, Grumpish said:

Always almost completely ignored by advocates of EV's is the carbon footprint of manufacturing, which is about double that of a petrol or diesel vehicle.  

Costs to dispose of these used batteries is another issue that need to be addressed. Are they that green?

I am always amused when I read about the "green" EV.  In the USA 40% of the electricity is produced by coal, 40% by natural gas, 10% by nuclear plants, and 10% by a combination of wind, solar, and hydro electric.  The latter are hardly without their pollution either as wind turbins, solar panels, and hydro electric dams all have enviornmental costs plus impact to transmit the electricity. 

The "saving money" is also a non-starter.  You pay substantially more for an electric vehicle up front and they depreciate faster since as the electric car heads towards to time its battery needs to be replaced its value goes down.  Add to that the cost of adding a home charger which will not in all liklihood enhance the resale value of your home and will likely not be taken with the homeowner upon selling their home. 

The biggest beneficiaries of electric vehicles will be those who live in congested urban areas with relatively short commutes.  Those are exactly the people least likely to be able to have an electric vehicle since they will be living in high rise buildings and there will not be an electric charging station in each of the parking spots.  That leaves them to enjoy the tranquil time in a commercial charging station which PS charges more for the electric than home rates.  Your automobile insurance rate will be higher since the value of the vehicle to repair or replace it will be greater. 

Finally, while the "energy" cost of using electric versus petroleum is true today, do any of you doubt that when the transition is made that the power companies will continue to sell you cheap electricity. 

I have a hybrid.  It gets 18km per litre.  I spend less than 5 minutes to fuel it, and I don't have to worry about where I travel to and if there will be a charging station.  

I "think" the benefits from a transition are greatly overstated.  They ignore the extremely polluting aspects of lithium battery production, the costs to replace the battery, and the significantly higher risk of a major fire hazzard since electrical battery fires burn much hotter and are more difficult to bring under control.  

I know this, in the case of an emergency, I can have a spare can of gas to refuel my car.  Unless I buy a generator, (fueled by gas) I can't recharge my EV. 

• Thanks 1

Should it surprise anyone that they haven't worked out many of the important and dangerous kinks as of yet? 

Don't expect change too soon...if at all. This is how they do things and most certainly accepted by the usual dumbed down masses.