moving our stuff by sea without paying import tax

Diego-San

Hi

In short the story and questions

We want to move our things; like tools and small furniture to Thailand by boat
If we unregister from the Netherlands and register in Thailand we can do this without paying import tax over our things. Because the Thai government allows you 1 time to move your stuff under these conditions

questions
1. I have a retirement visa, this is already connected to our address in Samroiyod. Does this mean I am already registered as living in Thailand?
2. If this doesn't mean I am registered and I needs another registration, in what case do I needs to pay general taxes as an inhabitant of Thailand?
3. can I unregister at all times?

Thanks for sharing

This link may help.
https://www.customs.go.th/cont_strc_simple.php?ini_content=individual_F01_160426_01&ini_menu=menu_individual_submenu_02&lang=en&left_menu=menu_individual_submenu_02_160421_01

I suspect you have a 1-year extension of stay issued by Thai Immigration, which only grants you temporary permission of stay for one year at a time. You are not a resident.

From the above link; 
Both Thai and non-Thai residents changing residence into Thailand are eligible to bring used/secondhand household effects into Thailand, in reasonable quantities, free of taxes and duties. 

If your wife is Thai, do the move in her name as she is a resident.

1 hour ago, Faz said:

This link may help.
https://www.customs.go.th/cont_strc_simple.php?ini_content=individual_F01_160426_01&ini_menu=menu_individual_submenu_02&lang=en&left_menu=menu_individual_submenu_02_160421_01

I suspect you have a 1-year extension of stay issued by Thai Immigration, which only grants you temporary permission of stay for one year at a time. You are not a resident.

From the above link; 
Both Thai and non-Thai residents changing residence into Thailand are eligible to bring used/secondhand household effects into Thailand, in reasonable quantities, free of taxes and duties. 

If your wife is Thai, do the move in her name as she is a resident.

It says both Thai and non-Thai residents

To be honest, and it's a different country, but sometimes they treat the resident worse when it comes to taxes, whereas they look at the non-resident as temporary

Because they look at it, as the items won't be staying in country

47 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

It says both Thai and non-Thai residents

............. taking up residence in Thailand, but, and this is the grey area, unless you usually work, pay taxes and have a work permit you can't apply for permanent residency. Those here on annual extensions of stay are only granted temporary permission of stay 1 year at a time.

From cases, I've previously read, it's far simpler just to put everything in the Thai wife's name.

9 minutes ago, Faz said:

............. taking up residence in Thailand, but, and this is the grey area, unless you usually work, pay taxes and have a work permit you can't apply for permanent residency. Those here on annual extensions of stay are only granted temporary permission of stay 1 year at a time.

From cases, I've previously read, it's far simpler just to put everything in the Thai wife's name.

You definitely have your ear to the ground in these matters

But I do know, from my wife and her friends, Thailand has been much more strict with Thais coming back with goods into Thailand so that could apply in this case as well

And I know from my experience in other countries, they are actually more lenient with temporary residents that will be taking their stuff back with them out of country(supposedly), than with their own citizens

Thanks for the replies. I do not have a Thai wife, but Indonesian. She 's joins me on my retirement visa. So, if I understand this right, I am not a resident and cannot take my stuff without paying the import tax.

But I know of people who did. They unregistered in Europe and registered in Thailand on an address, maybe they had a work permit I will ask about that.

2 hours ago, Diego-San said:

Thanks for the replies. I do not have a Thai wife, but Indonesian. She 's joins me on my retirement visa. So, if I understand this right, I am not a resident and cannot take my stuff without paying the import tax.

But I know of people who did. They unregistered in Europe and registered in Thailand on an address, maybe they had a work permit I will ask about that.

The shipping company should be able to advise you on the conditions and if you're exempt or not.

• 2 weeks later...

We have shipped our belongings from the uk to Thailand and it gets delivered from the port this Saturday the company we used sorted out the duty depending on what you declare on the inventory our agent was able to negotiate a good price for the duty we payed a lot less than we exspected.

Edited by Birdie
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Birdie said:

We have shipped our belongings from the uk to Thailand and it gets delivered from the port this Saturday the company we used sorted out the duty depending on what you declare on the inventory our agent was able to negotiate a good price for the duty we payed a lot less than we exspected.

Well let's hope it goes alright when yig pick it up

Customs held my dog hostage trying to get me to to pay extra for the duty I has already paid, way more 

So be prepared for some shenanigans 

But hopefully there won't be any

Especially if the agent will be there with you 

6 minutes ago, Birdie said:

It would be helpful to other members if you perhaps stated the company you used, cost and duty paid.

We used seven seas world wide for a large move cube door to door uk to thailand £2400 and we paid duty on two MTN bikes and three guitars of £180 but that depends on how much and the make you declare on the inventory and if the agent can negotiate a deal.

• Thanks 1