News Forum - Zoo in central Thailand accused of mistreating elephants

Thaiger

A zoo in central Thailand’s province of Samut Prakan has been accused of mistreating its elephants. The Department of National Parks, Wildlife, and Plant Conservation found 4 elephants in bad condition at Samut Prakan Crocodile Farm and Zoo. Now, the zoo’s management is liable to a fine of up to 40,000 baht. Officials from the department found the elephants to be unusually thin. They were also living in a dirty environment, showing that the elephants’ living spaces were not regularly cleaned. The officials considered the zoo management to be violating the Cruelty Prevention and Welfare of Animal Act, by failing […]

The story Zoo in central Thailand accused of mistreating elephants as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Close all the effing zoos down!

Okay, I can tolerate a large, well-run animal sanctuary at times as animals and humans don't always co-exist properly and there occasionally is a need. but that is it.

I still recall a visit to a zoo in my home country 40 years ago where there were a few apes on display. I still recall looking into the animal's dead eyes and thinking that its existence was nothing less than torture for the pleasure of humans. I swore then and there that I would NEVER EVER visit a zoo again, and never have; I lost a job in Bangkok many years ago as a teacher as I wouldn't accompany the children to see the caged beasts.

Zoos are uncivilized, cruel, and beneath dignity.

Allow the current caged animals to live out their lives as best as possible, then shut them all down.

ALL of them.

• Like 5

yes,i agree,its best to let these animals go back to how they lived in nature.i too hate to see them in jail.and its very bad if some are mistreated.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Shade_Wilder said:

Close all the effing zoos down!

Okay, I can tolerate a large, well-run animal sanctuary at times as animals and humans don't always co-exist properly and there occasionally is a need. but that is it.

I still recall a visit to a zoo in my home country 40 years ago where there were a few apes on display. I still recall looking into the animal's dead eyes and thinking that its existence was nothing less than torture for the pleasure of humans. I swore then and there that I would NEVER EVER visit a zoo again, and never have; I lost a job in Bangkok many years ago as a teacher as I wouldn't accompany the children to see the caged beasts.

Zoos are uncivilized, cruel, and beneath dignity.

Allow the current caged animals to live out their lives as best as possible, then shut them all down.

ALL of them.

"existence was nothing less than torture for the pleasure of humans."  And MONEY....  

Besides that not enough volunteers yeah if thailand give for once an EASY option for foreigners to volunteer, maybe it makes a difference.. but yeah doing difficult and making things difficult for foreigners is number 1 in the agenda of the government 🤔 

• Like 1

They fine the zoo who has no money to take care the animal already where the money come from if they have to save money it will be on the animals less food and cleaning only option close the zoo and they called it here a zoo very quickly