1-way air ticket allowed and 30-day extension?

Been reading various answers to this on the 'net and thought I would ask here....

I have visited Thailand over the last few years but always with a RT air ticket (from/to USA).    I plan to visit Thailand in September or October for ~4-6 weeks.  (I may fly direct from USA or maybe from Singapore or Manila depending on a few factors.)    I plan to get a 1-way ticket into Thailand as I do not know when I may return back to the USA.  Can I still enter Thailand with only a 1-way ticket and no return ticket back to USA?    (I have read that immigration may be ok with this but the airline may require a return ticket before boarding...).

When in Thailand during my stay I may leave the country (e.g., fly to Vietnam) for a long weekend. My assumption is that would restart my 30 day Visa also.  But I wonder if booking that ticket would suffice immigration or the airlines when entering Thailand on my first leg of the trip?

Regarding the (auto) 30 day Visa for USA....I understand that as a USA citizen I get an automatic 30 day stay and I can renew that for another 30 days when in Thailand or apply online for the extension before I leave..    If I apply online do I need the exact dates of my departure from USA and return home or can I use approximate dates as I have not yet made plans?   Any idea on how long that process may take?

Thanks!

It's not a 30-day Visa. You'd be entering Visa exempt (without a Visa) which on entry would allow you a stay of 30 days. It's the airlines that request either a return or ticket out within 30 days, simply because if you're refused entry, it's their responsibility to return you to your departure point. It's a risk they're not willing to take.

If you have a ticket out to Vietnam, that's fine.

There is no 'extension' you can apply for online.

You do need a ticket showing you are leaving Thailand within the period of your allowed stay. However it does not need to be to your starting point. Buying the cheapest AirAsia ticket to KL or similar will keep you out of trouble. Alternatively pay a bit more and buy a refundable ticket which you will of course refund after you have cleared immigration.

Thanks.... yes I meant Visa-exempt from USA.

Regarding showing an "exit" route.  If I have a 1-way to Thailand, then a RT from Thailand - Vietnam (maybe a few weeks later for a weekend), can I show that and will they care as it shows me ending up back in Thailand again ?      Or maybe I just show them the outbound flight from Thailand - Vietnam? 

(and that trip would restart my 30 days....)

I may end up getting a RT from/to USA (as changing departure is usually not an issue/expensive).

Your current plan is too sketchy to give any firm advice, as there are so many options.
4 weeks or 6 weeks stay?
Definitely visiting Vietnam, or maybe?

You could book a return trip to US for 6 weeks, if you also had a return booking for Vietnam within the 30 days.

1 hour ago, Faz said:

It's not a 30-day Visa. You'd be entering Visa exempt (without a Visa) which on entry would allow you a stay of 30 days. It's the airlines that request either a return or ticket out within 30 days, simply because if you're refused entry, it's their responsibility to return you to your departure point. It's a risk they're not willing to take.

If you have a ticket out to Vietnam, that's fine.

There is no 'extension' you can apply for online.

I don't know why people keep trying to point this out when a visa waiver or 30 day tourist visa are basically the same thing practically speaking, so who cares how it's described?  It's besides the point.

Edited by samiam123
  • Haha 1

I've never had Thai Immigration ask for my outbound ticket to verify my departure date.  I have had the airline ask for this because they are the ones on the hook if you are denied entry, so they are the ones you need to satisfy.

Edited by samiam123

1 hour ago, samiam123 said:

I don't know why people keep trying to point this out when a visa waiver or 30 day tourist visa are basically the same thing practically speaking, so who cares how it's described?  It's besides the point.

There is no 30 day Tourist Visa.

For nationals of 64 Countries, Thailand refers to entering without a Visa as 'Visa exempt' entries'.

Image.thumb.jpg.7a579acfe1151edc97388e3668553cc6.jpg

การยกเว้นวีซ่าให้ต่างชาติที่เข้าไทย (mfa.go.th)

Tourist Visas on the other hand are obtained from Thai Embassies and grant a stay of 60 days on entry, not 30. Two totally different methods of entry, different conditions and different periods of permitted stay.

• Like 1

My plan is rather fluid at the moment..

I was just trying to present options specific to the issue of not having a Return ticket booked ahead of time.   I may stay longer than the default 30 days allows and either get the 30 day extension ahead of time or get it there, in case I stay longer.   1-way tickets are pretty much same cost as RT so was going to book that way instead (and also, at the moment, unsure if I may be in Singapore first for work).

But during my time in Thailand I would definitely fly to Vietnam for a long weekend (probably before my 30 days ran out).

Sounds like the risk is that the airline may require a ticket out.... I didn't know they were really on the hook to fly you home if the country denied you entrance....sounded like folklore... :)

7 hours ago, Dezmo said:

I may stay longer than the default 30 days allows and either get the 30 day extension ahead of time or get it there, in case I stay longer.

30 day extensions are only available from within Thailand at a local Immigration office, applied for in person.
A Tourist Visa, which can be applied for online before arrival, grants a stay of 60 days on entry.

If you entered on a TV, then at some point took a weekend trip to Vietnam, you could purchase a single re-entry permit from local Immigration, to protect that 60 day permission of stay on rentering Thailand.

Without a valid Visa, you'll find airlines request an outbound ticket within 30 days.
Strangely enough, the Thai Embassy in the US also request proof of a round trip flight for a Tourist Visa application.
2.4 Proof of a round trip flight confirmation/reservation showing going from the US to Thailand and leaving from Thailand (The name of the applicant must be indicated clearly)
» Visa procedures for Non-Thai nationals wishing to obtain Tourist visa (Single Entry) (thaiembdc.org)

Thanks for the information.   I guess I was using the wrong terms :)

If I get the TV ahead of time their website implies they require proof of an air ticket "from" Thailand.  The finance thing is odd..... how do I prove that when applying :)    Also it seems I can select 3 or 6 months for the TV validity.     

Required Document

(Please check relevant embassy/ consulate's website for specifically required documents)

• 1. Passport or travel document with validity not less than 6 months.
  • 2. Photograph of the applicant, taken within the past six months.
  • 3. Evidence of travel from Thailand (air ticket paid in full).
  • 4. Evidence of adequate finance (20,000 Baht per person and 40,000 Baht per family).

Required Document

The validity of a visa is 3 months or 6 months.

Period of Stay

Upon arrival, travellers with this type of visa may be permitted to stay in Thailand for a period of not exceeding 60 days.

On 7/19/2022 at 6:52 PM, Dezmo said:

My plan is rather fluid at the moment..

I was just trying to present options specific to the issue of not having a Return ticket booked ahead of time.   I may stay longer than the default 30 days allows and either get the 30 day extension ahead of time or get it there, in case I stay longer.   1-way tickets are pretty much same cost as RT so was going to book that way instead (and also, at the moment, unsure if I may be in Singapore first for work).

But during my time in Thailand I would definitely fly to Vietnam for a long weekend (probably before my 30 days ran out).

Sounds like the risk is that the airline may require a ticket out.... I didn't know they were really on the hook to fly you home if the country denied you entrance....sounded like folklore... :)

I also read somewhere that they also get a $10,000 us fine.If you haven't got a return ticket within 30 days of your departure date you probably won't be allowed to travel.A ticket out to Cambodia will also work.

5 hours ago, Dezmo said:

If I get the TV ahead of time their website implies they require proof of an air ticket "from" Thailand. 

Yes, either a return ticket, or ticket 'out' to elsewhere.

5 hours ago, Dezmo said:

The finance thing is odd..... how do I prove that when applying :) 

Copy of bank statement.

5 hours ago, Dezmo said:

Also it seems I can select 3 or 6 months for the TV validity.     

The single entry is valid for 3 months from the date of issue to enter Thailand. On entry, you'll be granted permission of stay for 60 days, which can be extended for a further 30 days.

The multiple entry is valid for 6 months from the date of issue to enter Thailand. On each entry, you'll be granted permission of stay for 60 days, which can be extended for a further 30 days.
It's possible to stay in Thailand for almost 9 months with 2 border runs with the METV.

Have you read this information;
https://thethaiger.com/talk/topic/1649-common-visa-types-explained/#comment-5560

https://thethaiger.com/talk/topic/1652-visa-or-extension-of-stay/#comment-5567

• Like 1

On 7/19/2022 at 6:37 AM, Goose1 said:

You do need a ticket showing you are leaving Thailand within the period of your allowed stay. However it does not need to be to your starting point. Buying the cheapest AirAsia ticket to KL or similar will keep you out of trouble. Alternatively pay a bit more and buy a refundable ticket which you will of course refund after you have cleared immigration.

I believe a proper MCO issued [acting as a return cover] air ticket can be used and allowed. 

On 7/19/2022 at 11:52 PM, Dezmo said:

, unsure if I may be in Singapore first for work

Coming from Singapore or Malaysia will (out of experience) ease everything! Same by coming over land (even if not planned, just a hint) Aside you would have the flight from Spore out, to Thailand, so no trouble to get boarded to Singapore.

In case you get asked at the counters in Singapore (never happened to me or friends of mine), you just tell 'em you are on a travel trip,  planning to go to Ankor and Vietnam during your stay

In Singapore they do know that lots of people do these trips, even over land. Also they know about the possibility, to extend the stay with an extension. So you don't need to argue, like with american or europe counter staff, who have no clue about it. In case that changed over Covid: Book a flight online with a low cost carrier to Cambodia, Vietnam or Malaysia and check in, after.

Also they know, you could book a "get out" flight ticket in the arrival airport in Thailand.  So I am relatively certain, no such obstacle to expect, from Singapore

On 7/19/2022 at 10:24 PM, samiam123 said:

I've never had Thai Immigration ask for my outbound ticket to verify my departure date.  I have had the airline ask for this because they are the ones on the hook if you are denied entry, so they are the ones you need to satisfy.

Thai immigration asked me for my outbound flight just a few weeks ago (airline did not). This was because I was taken aside since my previous visit was recent and lengthy (6 months).

Edited by mark147

On 7/27/2022 at 10:14 PM, mark147 said:

Thai immigration asked me for my outbound flight just a few weeks ago (airline did not). This was because I was taken aside since my previous visit was recent and lengthy (6 months).

I am hearing more an more stories like this.   I guess they are getting more strict with long stay tourists and want them to get a proper long stay visa or GTFO.

• 1 year later...

I also have a question about staying in Thailand.  I am a U.S. citizen so I qualify for a visa exempt entry.  On some previous visits I have just applied for a 60 day visa before my trip, online with a U.S. Thai Consulate, since my stay was  over 30 days.  My last visit was in July and August 2023 for 30 days so no 60 day visa was necessary.  
I will going to Thailand again in January 2024.  I plan to stay for 6 weeks.  I will have a return ticket.  Instead of applying for a 60 day visa, I want to know if I can visit another SEA country for a few days, and then return to Thailand and get another 30 visa exempt stamp which would cover the rest of my 6 week stay.  In the past I have heard that Thailand may not want to issue another 30 day exempt visa.  Please clarify. 
thanks

4 hours ago, RRRoberts said:

I also have a question about staying in Thailand.  I am a U.S. citizen so I qualify for a visa exempt entry.  On some previous visits I have just applied for a 60 day visa before my trip, online with a U.S. Thai Consulate, since my stay was  over 30 days.  My last visit was in July and August 2023 for 30 days so no 60 day visa was necessary.  
I will going to Thailand again in January 2024.  I plan to stay for 6 weeks.  I will have a return ticket.  Instead of applying for a 60 day visa, I want to know if I can visit another SEA country for a few days, and then return to Thailand and get another 30 visa exempt stamp which would cover the rest of my 6 week stay.  In the past I have heard that Thailand may not want to issue another 30 day exempt visa.  Please clarify. 
thanks

You can simply come on visa exemption and get 30 days permission to stay. After that, you can get an extension for 30 days inside Thailand at any immigration office. However, some airlines and immigration may ask to see a return or onward ticket within the 30 days permission to stay granted by your visa exempt entry. Therefore, you can chance it and hope you don't get asked or buy a cheap throw away ticket to Cambodia for example to show if you are asked to show a return or onward ticket within the first 30 days and then use your real return ticket later. I don't recommend using one of those websites that will sell you a reservation for the return flight within 30 days, as the Thai government is getting wise to that. However, that would be another option, just not the one I would recommend. Hope this helps. 

TLP'S response is fully correct.

However there is a cheaper/easier alternative than buying the cheapest one-way throw-away outbound ticket to meet the requirement that you need to show that you have an outward-bound flight reservation to an international destination on a date prior to the expiry of the 30-day Permission to stay you will receive on entering Thailand VisaExempt.  Note that that requirement is very rarely checked by Thai border-immigration on flight arrival, but in many cases it will be asked by airline staff when you check in on your flight to Thailand. The reason being that that requirement is on the IATA checklist when boarding an international flight to Thailand without a Visa, and that the airline can be forced to fly you back to your departure point when entering Thailand without such onward-flight reservation and you would be refused entry for that reason.

The cheap and easy way to deal with that requirement is to make use of a flight-reservation service provider like onwardticket.com .  These service providers provide fully legit and genuine flight reservations, which can be checked by the airline as well as by Thai border-immigration.  Their service consists in immediately sending you by return e-mail such a flight reservation on the date of your choice from a Thai international airport to an international destination, when paying by credit-card.  However, these fully legit flight reservations are automatically cancelled 48 to 72 hr after they have been issued.  So it is simply a matter of ordering such a flight-reservation the evening before your departure flight to Thailand.  And the cost for that service is only 10 to 16 US $, and it's well worth making use of it as otherwise you can be denied boarding your departure flight to Thailand.  

Happy Holidays in the Land of Smiles!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BlueSphinx said:

TLP'S response is fully correct.

However there is a cheaper/easier alternative than buying the cheapest one-way throw-away outbound ticket to meet the requirement that you need to show that you have an outward-bound flight reservation to an international destination on a date prior to the expiry of the 30-day Permission to stay you will receive on entering Thailand VisaExempt.  Note that that requirement is very rarely checked by Thai border-immigration on flight arrival, but in many cases it will be asked by airline staff when you check in on your flight to Thailand. The reason being that that requirement is on the IATA checklist when boarding an international flight to Thailand without a Visa, and that the airline can be forced to fly you back to your departure point when entering Thailand without such onward-flight reservation and you would be refused entry for that reason.

The cheap and easy way to deal with that requirement is to make use of a flight-reservation service provider like onwardticket.com .  These service providers provide fully legit and genuine flight reservations, which can be checked by the airline as well as by Thai border-immigration.  Their service consists in immediately sending you by return e-mail such a flight reservation on the date of your choice from a Thai international airport to an international destination, when paying by credit-card.  However, these fully legit flight reservations are automatically cancelled 48 to 72 hr after they have been issued.  So it is simply a matter of ordering such a flight-reservation the evening before your departure flight to Thailand.  And the cost for that service is only 10 to 16 US $, and it's well worth making use of it as otherwise you can be denied boarding your departure flight to Thailand.  

Happy Holidays in the Land of Smiles!

I did mention this service you talk about in general,  but my contacts at immigration are considering to not allow that as they are getting wise to some of those companies. Therefore, I won't recommend it to anyone, but it is one of the options I mentioned, just not in detail like yourself. 

2 hours ago, TLP said:

I did mention this service you talk about in general,  but my contacts at immigration are considering to not allow that as they are getting wise to some of those companies. Therefore, I won't recommend it to anyone, but it is one of the options I mentioned, just not in detail like yourself. 

Hi TLP, with your post you imply that these onward-flight reservation companies are providing a service that is illegal.  But that's NOT the case.  As I wrote they provide a fully legit service and the flight-reservations they make on your behalf are genuine.  You can check the 6-digit reservation code on the airline website where they made the reservation and you will see that it is there.  So there is actually no way that your Thai-bound airline or Thai border-immigration can object as your flight-reservation is REAL.  

It would be akin to booking an outbound fllight yourself and once in Thailand cancelling it, in case you want to stay longer than 30 days on a VisaExempt entry (e.g. by applying at your local Imm Office for a  30-day extension of stay).  When doing such booking yourself and later cancelling it, the costs will often be higher than the 10-16 US $ dollar the onward-flight reservation companies charge you.  But there are even some airlines (I thought one of them being Cathay Pacific) that allow cancelling your flight-reservation at no cost.

14 minutes ago, BlueSphinx said:

Hi TLP, with your post you imply that these onward-flight reservation companies are providing a service that is illegal.  But that's NOT the case.  As I wrote they provide a fully legit service and the flight-reservations they make on your behalf are genuine.  You can check the 6-digit reservation code on the airline website where they made the reservation and you will see that it is there.  So there is actually no way that your Thai-bound airline or Thai border-immigration can object as your flight-reservation is REAL.  

It would be akin to booking an outbound fllight yourself and once in Thailand cancelling it, in case you want to stay longer than 30 days on a VisaExempt entry (e.g. by applying at your local Imm Office for a  30-day extension of stay).  When doing such booking yourself and later cancelling it, the costs will often be higher than the 10-16 US $ dollar the onward-flight reservation companies charge you.  But there are even some airlines (I thought one of them being Cathay Pacific) that allow cancelling your flight-reservation at no cost.

Just passing on the feedback from a real immigration officer. I am not going to debate about this. Just know that Thai immigration is onto this practice and these flight reservation companies and at sometime in the future, may not accept proof of onward or return flights from one of these online reservation services. Thats it. Nothing more to say on this topic from me. 

On 7/19/2022 at 8:21 AM, samiam123 said:

Correct It does not matter anymore if you know the rules either visa exemtp or 60 day real one can get an extension and some can change visa type inside Thailand. Other countires probably do not allow extentions from visa exempt.

As long as people dont line up with the Indians at the Visa on Arrival counter and waste time who cares what they call it