Registering a company and house attached to it

JScoobyCed

Hi,

I have read the information about the options to be able to stay in a house as a foreigner, even if we don't own it, without the fear to get evicted (to some degree at least :) )

Other than a usufruct, a popular option is to open a company. I think I understand:

- it should be a Thai Limited Company type

- I should have 2 other Thai owners, they will have a combined 51% rights, while 49% for me

- I can register the house with the company and therefore stay in it as long as the company exists

Now the questions:

- How long would it take to get the company and house paperwork settled?

- I wasn't planning to open a business as I am employed. What criteria must I meet to keep that company running. I.e. if I have just a few staff to meet the quotas but not have any income, is it ok?

I'll be contacting lawyers to help, but I was curious of your experiences. Thanks!

• 4 months later...

You need to get a lawyer to help you with this. Strictly speaking It’s not actually legal to have a nominee company for the sole purpose of buying land (you can personally own the house) though obviously many  expats are doing it without any issues so far. The Thai lawyers here do have a way around this but you need to make sure it is done properly to avoid problems and make sure documents are properly filed and corporate formalities complied with.