When to apply?

ChristopherRichards

Hi people.

I hold a OA multi entry visa which is valid to 26 August 2022.
My current permission to stay expires on November 2nd 2022.

I recently married my Thai girlfriend who I have been living with and intend to apply for an extension to stay based on marriage at my local immigration office.

Does anyone know if I should apply....
A. before 26 August when my visa expires?
or
B. before 2 November when my permission to stay expires?

Everywhere I look assumes I have an 90 Day O visa and says apply before the end of the 90 days.

I have emailed Immigration but after seven days, no reply.

Cheers
Chris 

5. Recommendations for foreigners with Non-Immigrant Visa “O-A” (Long Stay) while staying in the Kingdom

5.1  Upon arrival, holder of this type of visa will be permitted to stay in Thailand for 1 year from the date of first entry.

5.2  At the end of the 90-day stay , the foreigner must report to the immigration officer in his or her residence area and report again every 90 days during his or her stay in Thailand.  The foreigner may report to the police station if there is no immigration office in his or her residence area.

https://www.mfa.go.th/en/page/non-immigrant-visa-o-a?menu=5e1ff71bc4281a00c812e8e2#:~:text=5.2 At the end of,his or her residence area.

Hope this helps.

Thanks riclag but it's not what I am referring to.

I am referring to changing my Retirement status of stay to marriage.

So instead of extending my stay based on retirement for a further 12months  I will extend it for 12 months based on marriage.

What I need clarification on was, when do I apply?

Before my multi entry OA visa expires (Aug) or before my current permission to stay expires (Nov)?

37 minutes ago, ChristopherRichards said:

What I need clarification on was, when do I apply?

Before my multi entry OA visa expires (Aug) or before my current permission to stay expires (Nov)?

Up to 30 days (45 days at most offices) before your current permission of stay expires. (Nov).
The validity of the Visa only relates to the period you can enter Thailand.

The issue you may face is that the Non O-A Visa is applied for purely on the sole basis of retirement.
Some offices have been reluctant to change the reason of your stay unless you have/had the Non O Visa.

You could always exit and renter just before your Visa expires to obtain a further 1 year permission of stay, but you'd need that pesky Health Insurance.

If you plan to marry, visit > Marriage - a guide to all procedures - Thaiger Talk (thethaiger.com)

7 minutes ago, Faz said:

Up to 30 days (45 days at most offices) before your current permission of stay expires. (Nov).
The validity of the Visa only relates to the period you can enter Thailand.

The issue you may face is that the Non O-A Visa is applied for purely on the sole basis of retirement.
Some offices have been reluctant to change the reason of your stay unless you have/had the Non O Visa.

You could always exit and renter just before your Visa expires to obtain a further 1 year permission of stay, but you'd need that pesky Health Insurance.

If you plan to marry, visit > Marriage - a guide to all procedures - Thaiger Talk (thethaiger.com)

Thanks Faz... that is what I was thinking and hoping was correct...just needed someone to confirm 😊