Motorcycle tour Chiang Mai/Chaing Rai/Golden Triangle in August/September?

mat45

Dear all,

I am usually in the region around Chiang Mai in February/March and this year I would have the opportunity to be in Thailand from the end of August to the end of September. I usually prefer motorbike tours in SOA, has anyone been to the North West/around Chiang Mai and Golden Triangle during this period? In view of the weather conditions, does a motorbike tour make sense there at this time of year, or should one head for the classic islands in the Gulf such as Phangan for island hopping, where the weather is supposed to be the best at that time?

Thanks in advance!

August/September are traditionally the wettest months although from late afternoon and overnight.  However all bets are off this year as we've seen some changes in our local climate and anything may happen.

Ardent bikers may have an opinion though I'd suggest Nov/Dec/Jan as the best months for what you propose.  Feb/Mar is often ok, sometimes smoke haze affects views towards April though.

Thanks for the quick response, yes, I know the region in February/early March which is usually the main time I can go on a longer holiday due to job reasons, it was very good for motorcycling, no rain, sometimes a bit smoke (but I prefer the smoke to the rain). For August/September the climate tables and travel guides are 50/50: nice landscape, everything green, but maybe a (sometimes short) rain every day, so every testimonial from locals is welcome.

Otherwise I check out the gulf islands...

• Cool 1

No guarantees, but typically it is heavy rain for less than an hour per day, at predictable times, i.e. if it rained late morning today, so it will probably tomorrow as well.

Personal experience, don't lecture me on weather patterns, folks.