News Forum - Thailand says no to North Korean martial art at SEA Games

Thaiger

Thailand is saying no to a North Korean martial art that will be included at the 2023 Southeast Asian Games in Cambodia. Cambodia has said that North Korean-style taekwondo is one of the 39 sports that will be featured at the Games. The vice president of the Olympic Committee of Thailand has said that Thailand will not send any athletes to compete in this sport. The VP, Chaipak Siriwat, said that it is up to other countries to decide whether or not they will send athletes to compete in this style of taekwondo. But there’s a bit of a catch […]

The story Thailand says no to North Korean martial art at SEA Games as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Question is, how was this sport admitted? Is Cambodia as host a factor? I don’t think it’s distinct enough to be considered a medal sport. So much nonsense in fringe sport nowadays.

• Like 1

This sounds to me more like politics than sport! In rugby different nations developed different styles - 30 years ago the difference between the hemispheres was startling! We learned from each other and both improved and always it was rugby! Why should any other sport be different? Politics and sport don't really go together (except for the anti-apartheid movement!!!)

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, anarchofarmer said:

This sounds to me more like politics than sport! In rugby different nations developed different styles - 30 years ago the difference between the hemispheres was startling! We learned from each other and both improved and always it was rugby! Why should any other sport be different? Politics and sport don't really go together (except for the anti-apartheid movement!!!)

Unfortunately, the modern day sporting worlds are nothing short of political. 

• Like 1

South China, I mean Cambodia, is becoming a bigger tragic joke with each proclamation.

I feel for the expats who were forced to relocate there after running out of funds in Thailand. 

it's basically just a watered-down version of the murderous Khmer Rouge regime. It's supreme leader was/is one of them!

Been there twice. The second visit more fun than the last, but I put that down to the company I brought along with me the second time.

Now weed is legal in Thailand, and we've joined the millions who've been ripped off to stare at ruins, there's no reason to even bother.