News Forum - Spanish woman drowns in eastern Thailand, French man missing

Thaiger

A Spanish woman has drowned this morning near the island of Koh Chang, located in Trat province in the Gulf of Thailand. The 21 year old woman’s body was found floating a few hundred metres from the island’s Lonely Beach. Her companion, a 22 year old French man, remains missing. The pair had reportedly gone swimming off Lonely Beach during rough seas. They had stayed at Nature Beach Resort Hotel for 3 days. This morning, the young tourists told hotel staff that they would go out to watch the sun rise, according to a village chief. But instead, they went […]

The story Spanish woman drowns in eastern Thailand, French man missing as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

In another life I was a lifeguard on weekends.

We were constantly dragging people out of the water (mainly tourists) that had no idea of surf and conditions locally, some sadly we lost. 

There seems to be this misconception that still water (ie swimming pools , lakes etc) which many are used to, think that knowledge transposes to moving waters, rivers and oceans. Being able to swim is a small part of it.

I showed a few how a rip works and they were terrified of the possible consequences.

Haven't really looked into rips etc in Thailand (live rural and a wader now ) but will assume they exist here.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, palooka said:

In another life I was a lifeguard on weekends.

We were constantly dragging people out of the water (mainly tourists) that had no idea of surf and conditions locally, some sadly we lost. 

There seems to be this misconception that still water (ie swimming pools , lakes etc) which many are used to, think that knowledge transposes to moving waters, rivers and oceans. Being able to swim is a small part of it.

I showed a few how a rip works and they were terrified of the possible consequences.

Haven't really looked into rips etc in Thailand (live rural and a wader now ) but will assume they exist here.

Yes they exist here. Personal experience over 20 + yrs ago. Down in Phuket. Took me over 30+ minutes to get back in. Stronger than one would think. Weak swimmers don’t have a real great chance. 

• Like 2

We were having breakfast just a little ways down the beach from where this happened this morning and saw the commotion in the distance. So very sorry for their families.  The water on this beach now has very high and rough waves and a lot of rip currents.  Now there are red flags all up and down the beach warning tourists not to swim.  There was a sign or two up previous to the incident, but more have been added. We were having breakfast just a little ways down the beach from where this happened this morning and saw the commotion in the distance. So very sorry for their families.  The water on this beach now has very high and rough waves and a lot of rip currents.  Now there are red flags all up and down the beach warning tourists not to swim.  There was a sign or two up previous to the incident, but more have been added.

My advise is please take the red flags seriously. We live in Phuket, our local beach is Nai Harn. I have seen a few pulled from the water here and helped several over the years get to shore. I'm very experienced in the surf, been surfing all over the world, lived in Hawaii for a long period and I can tell you the rip currents are no joke. About 14 years ago I was only body surfing at Nai Harn and had slipped into a strong rip current. I know what to do but for some stupid reason I chose to fight it and try to swim straight in because I was in shape and thought I could out power it. Well after at least 20 minutes I was exhausted and barely made it in. Don't make the nearly fatal mistake I made.

4 hours ago, Steve555 said:

My advise is please take the red flags seriously. We live in Phuket, our local beach is Nai Harn. I have seen a few pulled from the water here and helped several over the years get to shore. I'm very experienced in the surf, been surfing all over the world, lived in Hawaii for a long period and I can tell you the rip currents are no joke. About 14 years ago I was only body surfing at Nai Harn and had slipped into a strong rip current. I know what to do but for some stupid reason I chose to fight it and try to swim straight in because I was in shape and thought I could out power it. Well after at least 20 minutes I was exhausted and barely made it in. Don't make the nearly fatal mistake I made.

Me and my 2 kids were just swimming at Nai Harn beach a few weeks ago. Great place but yes the red flags were up and you could feel a bit of a tug, but it was allowed as long as you swam in a controlled area. The rentail by day surf board players are almost the biggest danger of cracking you in the head. Anyway, anytime someone there started to get past a point while paling in the water and waves, the lifeguard would blow the whistle and be right on you. Even there is no joke but at least was safe if you stay and play to a certain area and point. 

TAT should stop luring tourist by calling it the green season,call it is what it is the monsoon season, with strong winds and rough sea,l met many tourist on the local beach disappointed, after being mislead 

20 hours ago, palooka said:

I was dragged about 2-3 km off shore by a rip at an unpatrolled beach with the sun going down. Rescued by a surfer who paddled out to save me. The most welcome words I think I have ever heard  “What are you doing here, ya bloody idiot?”

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Fanta said:

I was dragged about 2-3 km off shore by a rip at an unpatrolled beach with the sun going down. Rescued by a surfer who paddled out to save me. The most welcome words I think I have ever heard  “What are you doing here, ya bloody idiot?”

Hope you bought him a beer.