US Embassy and Consulate (Chiang Mai)

gjanick

I do not know if Thaiger is even aware of this. Saturday (9 July) I received an email from the US Consulate office in Chiang Mai that they no longer will offer any services to Americans and are no longer in operation to serve Americans effective immediately. The reason that they say is because of staffing shortages.

This leaves Americans in Thailand with one embassy in all of Thailand. I don't know how many Americans are actually in Thailand now, but I am guessing that the number is quite large.

This goes completely against Thailand's trying to increase tourism and makes it even more difficult for Americans to deal with passport and visa issues.

I am a 72 year-old American music and English school teacher (retired 17 January 2022) living in Chiang Mai. I am happily married to a wonderful Thai lady and I have a Thai marriage visa (year to year). Luckily I just received my new USA passport before the Consulate closed its doors.

I have attached the email sent to me by the Consulate. The words seem to lack any compassion for its Americans that this consulate office serves.

Message for U.S. Citizens: Temporary Suspension of Consular Services at Consulate General Chiang Mai

A
acsbkk@state.govacsbkk@state.gov

Folder:Inbox

https://resize.yandex.net/mailservice?url=https%3A%2F%2Fstep.state.gov%2Fstep%2Fmascot%2Fdos_image.jpg&proxy=yes&key=98d2fa468bd3a547b383d691796313f9

Effective immediately, the U.S. Consulate General in Chiang Mai is temporarily suspending all consular services until further notice due to staffing shortages.  Although we hope to resume consular services soon, consular services in Thailand are currently only available at the U. S. Embassy in Bangkok.

If you are a U.S. citizen in northern Thailand in need of emergency assistance, please call the Bangkok American Citizens Services unit (02-205-4000).  If you have an appointment for, or are seeking, routine services, please email acsbkk@state.gov

For visa assistance and information, please email visasbkk@state.gov.

• 4 weeks later...

For those that are concerned - updates and whatnot.

The U.S. Consulate at Chiang Mai will resume full services as of 1 November 2022. 

• 1 year later...