News Forum - Life of Thai digital nomads made easier by Airbnb TAT alliance

Thaiger

Airbnb today announced it is going to work closely with the Tourism Authority of Thailand to make it easier for remote workers to live in the kingdom. The California-based vacation rental company reported that a number of projects are in the pipeline, including constructing a dedicated custom-built hub for Thailand, showcasing local long-term stay listings as well as providing information on entry requirements and visa policies for remote workers. The Covid-19 pandemic has revolutionised the way millions of people work nowadays making it more flexible where they can live and work. As a consequence, so-called digital nomads have sprung up all over […]

The story Life of Thai digital nomads made easier by Airbnb TAT alliance as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Haha 1

It is rare that I have any good things to say about Thai Governance in general and the TAT in particular, but this hook-up is a good move on their part.

Thailand is good for Digital Nomads, and that strength should be highlighted as the globe comes out of the shadow of Covid.

Why is it good? DNs need a reasonably fast and stable Internet connection with a reasonably stable electricity supply combined with maximum flexibility and low costs, and Thailand can provide this. 

Let me provide a "Forinstance".

I am a part-time DN, and I can roll up to Thailand, rent a small house/condo at short notice for irregular amounts of time at a relatively low cost. Why does this matter? If I bid on and win a contract (there are many ilk of DNs, some/many like me bid on contracts), I can begin work in a matter of days at a cost drastically lower than I could in my native country, thus freeing up a huge amount of profit for me to spend, which I do locally after the work is done. Moreover, as I profit from my contracts, I will likely remain in Thailand as the monthly costs are drastically lower and life is nice here in the tropics, and thus inject funds into the local economy over a longer period of time. Contrast this with doing the work in a NA/European country where it is difficult/expensive to rent a place for irregular times, taxes and costs are high, and flexibility is so-so at best; those who work in an office 50 weeks a year ain't great tourists to have.

To sum up, DNs arrive, rent/shop/spend then eventually move on, thus avoiding people residing long-term/settling permanently in Thailand as recent governments seem to dislike.

However, in order to make it all work, there needs to be a reasonable visa, otherwise DNs are just going to arrive on a tourist visa and leave earlier than they need to, and before they spend all their cash. And, when I say "Reasonable Visa", I don't mean the up-coming 10 year one.

A DN visa needs to be easy to get, so forget about all the faff required for even a tourist visa these days, i.e.. financial statements, etc. Second, make it easy to renew as needed, preferably without leaving the country or doing a 'Border-Bounce'. Yes, sure, make it a bit more costly to compensate for the convenience as DNs will pay for speed and ease; if Thai Immigration wouldn't bother me more than once in 6 months (a 90 day report), I'd happily fork over 10,000-15,000 Baht for the privilege.

Finally, there needs to be a change in thinking on behalf of the Thai authorities towards foreigners. Currently, they seem to make it difficult to enter/stay in a mistaken belief that strong borders will keep 'criminals' out, but this is wrong. Criminals are attracted to Thailand due to the...ahem... "accommodating nature" of local law-enforcement; fix that problem and don't worry about the rest.

To sum up, DNs are usually on the wealthier side, will come and go often, and when they like a country, will reside there and spent loads of cash over several years and then move on; these are people Thailand needs.

• Like 3

So does this mean ABNB also going to close illegal listings? I like them in certain circumstances but almost all the short stays in Thailand are illegal. I just don’t understand a business model that promotes users from violating local laws. 

• Haha 1

And yet, still no visa to allow remote workers or the digital economy to actually work in Thailand. Unless you work for 150 million dollar overseas company.

We managed to somehow become a grubby hub of weed overnight. But still can't solve the most obvious probem in the room about remote workers.

Edited by Artemis080
  • Like 2

If you want more digital nomads - a.k.a., remote workers, backpackers, retired snowbirds, and  entrepreneurs - make the visa designed for a nomadic lifestyle. Something like the Thai Elite Visa but not so expensive. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Cabra said:

If you want more digital nomads - a.k.a., remote workers, backpackers, retired snowbirds, and  entrepreneurs - make the visa designed for a nomadic lifestyle. Something like the Thai Elite Visa but not so expensive. 

Exactly. I dont mind paying a bit for a 3 or 6 months tourist visa. But I do mind reporting to some random immigration office every now and then, showing utterly irrelevant documents. Being subject to the good or bad temper of the officer on duty.

I also mind paying tax in Thailand. I already pay my tax in Holland. My 'work' takes place in Holland, doesnt matter where my laptop sits. For the puritans amongst you, yes, technically it might be so that I work in Thailand, and hence have to pay tax in Thailand. Good luck. There are dozens of countries where I can stay for up to 12 months, do my things, and do not pay tax. I do support the local economy of course, I pay rent, do my shopping, go out for dinner etc.

13 hours ago, Janneman said:

Exactly. I dont mind paying a bit for a 3 or 6 months tourist visa. But I do mind reporting to some random immigration office every now and then, showing utterly irrelevant documents. Being subject to the good or bad temper of the officer on duty.

I also mind paying tax in Thailand. I already pay my tax in Holland. My 'work' takes place in Holland, doesnt matter where my laptop sits. For the puritans amongst you, yes, technically it might be so that I work in Thailand, and hence have to pay tax in Thailand. Good luck. There are dozens of countries where I can stay for up to 12 months, do my things, and do not pay tax. I do support the local economy of course, I pay rent, do my shopping, go out for dinner etc.

Free multiple reentry, no TM30 or TM47, no proof of income / savings, no supplemental insurances, pay no Thai income taxes, and the ability to work in Thailand. They call that Thai Citizenship 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8.7.2022 at 05:06, Shade_Wilder said:

Es kommt selten vor, dass ich etwas Gutes über die thailändische Regierungsführung im Allgemeinen und die TAT im Besonderen zu sagen habe, aber diese Verbindung ist ein guter Schachzug ihrerseits.

Thailand ist gut für digitale Nomaden, und diese Stärke sollte hervorgehoben werden, wenn der Globus aus dem Schatten von Covid tritt.

Warum ist es gut? DNs benötigen eine einigermaßen schnelle und stabile Internetverbindung mit einer einigermaßen stabilen Stromversorgung, kombiniert mit maximaler Flexibilität und niedrigen Kosten, und Thailand kann dies bieten. 

Lassen Sie mich eine " Forinstance " bereitstellen.

Ich bin ein Teilzeit-DN, und ich kann nach Thailand rollen, kurzfristig ein kleines Haus / eine kleine Eigentumswohnung für unregelmäßige Zeiträume zu relativ geringen Kosten mieten. Warum ist das wichtig? Wenn ich auf einen Vertrag biete und ihn gewinne (es gibt viele Arten von DNs, einige/viele wie ich bieten auf Verträge), kann ich innerhalb weniger Tage mit der Arbeit beginnen, und zwar zu drastisch niedrigeren Kosten als in meinem Heimatland, was mich befreit eine riesige Menge an Gewinn für mich zusammenbringen, die ich nach getaner Arbeit vor Ort ausgeben kann. Außerdem werde ich, da ich von meinen Verträgen profitiere, wahrscheinlich in Thailand bleiben, da die monatlichen Kosten drastisch niedriger sind und das Leben hier in den Tropen schön ist, und so über einen längeren Zeitraum Geld in die lokale Wirtschaft pumpen. Vergleichen Sie dies mit der Arbeit in einem NA/europäischen Land, wo es schwierig/teuer ist, einen Platz für unregelmäßige Zeiten zu mieten, Steuern und Kosten hoch sind, und Flexibilität ist bestenfalls mittelmäßig; Wer 50 Wochen im Jahr in einem Büro arbeitet, ist kein guter Tourist.

Zusammenfassend lässt sich sagen, dass DNs ankommen, mieten/einkaufen/ausgeben und dann schließlich weiterziehen, wodurch vermieden wird, dass Menschen langfristig in Thailand leben/sich dauerhaft niederlassen, wie es die jüngsten Regierungen anscheinend nicht mögen.

Damit das alles funktioniert, muss es jedoch ein vernünftiges Visum geben, andernfalls kommen DNs einfach mit einem Touristenvisum an und gehen früher als nötig und bevor sie ihr ganzes Geld ausgegeben haben. Und wenn ich „angemessenes Visum“ sage, meine ich nicht das bevorstehende 10-Jahres-Visum.

Ein DN-Visum muss leicht zu bekommen sein, also vergessen Sie den ganzen Schnickschnack, der heutzutage sogar für ein Touristenvisum erforderlich ist, dh. Jahresabschlüsse usw. Zweitens, machen Sie es einfach, bei Bedarf zu erneuern, vorzugsweise ohne das Land zu verlassen oder einen „Border-Bounce“ durchzuführen. Ja, sicher, machen Sie es ein bisschen teurer, um die Bequemlichkeit zu kompensieren, da DNs für Geschwindigkeit und Benutzerfreundlichkeit bezahlen werden; Wenn mich die thailändische Einwanderung nicht mehr als einmal in 6 Monaten (ein 90-Tage-Bericht) stören würde, würde ich gerne über 10.000-15.000 Baht für das Privileg hingeben.

Schließlich muss seitens der thailändischen Behörden ein Umdenken gegenüber Ausländern stattfinden. Derzeit scheinen sie die Einreise/den Aufenthalt in dem Irrglauben zu erschweren, dass starke Grenzen „Kriminelle“ fernhalten würden, aber das ist falsch. Kriminelle werden von Thailand wegen der ... ähm ... "entgegenkommenden Natur" der örtlichen Strafverfolgungsbehörden angezogen; Beheben Sie das Problem und kümmern Sie sich nicht um den Rest.

Zusammenfassend lässt sich sagen, DNs sind normalerweise auf der wohlhabenderen Seite, kommen und gehen oft, und wenn ihnen ein Land gefällt, werden sie dort leben und über mehrere Jahre viel Geld ausgeben und dann weiterziehen; das sind Leute, die Thailand braucht.

Thailand will never learn that. They still think foreigners are like lemons that you just have to squeeze a little tighter to squeeze out the last dollar.

• Like 1