News Forum - To wear or not to wear a face mask (in Thailand) – that is the question – OPINION

Thaiger

The Thai PM, chairing today’s CCSA meeting, has asked people in Thailand to keep wearing their mask. The words were carefully crafted. “…although there are no legal obligations for people to wear face masks, people are still very strongly advised to do so especially when it is deemed necessary.” In other words, you don’t HAVE to. So nothing has really changed in that regard as of today’s CCSA meeting. “According to the Ministry of Public Health, the government still encourages people to wear masks, especially in poorly ventilated spaces.” More details about today’s CCSA announcements HERE. Since the last week […]

The story To wear or not to wear a face mask (in Thailand) – that is the question – OPINION as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I am in Udon Thani. I stopped wearing a mask in all but government offices and crowded markets. I've not heen told by anyone to mask-up, and I can't say for certain if the looks I receive are due to not masking or just being foreign. Most people here are masked at all times, though a good portion of the masked folks have their nose out or the mask is resting on their chin providing no protection.

Edited by Petey
  • Like 3

Great article again on the subject. However the last paragraph:

For foreign travellers to Thailand at this time, despite the removal of the Thailand Pass, there will still be confusion for the short-term as they figure out what is legal, what is ‘expected’ of them, and how to best behave as guests in the country.

"guests"? Tourists are not welcome in Thailand as guests but as customers to spend their money, nothing else. So any tourist's decision not to wear the mask should be respected cause "the customer is always right"!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Farangs should fit in with what the local Thais are doing.  All around here are wearing masks, therefore so do I.   Its a  matter of respect. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Petey said:

I can't say for certain if the looks I receive are due to not masking or just being foreign

Both. You are doing yourself, and the rest of us, no favours by ignoring the the local  trend. If the local Thais are wearing them, so should you,  or you just come across as yet  one more arrogant farang A hole. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Just now, Pinetree said:

Farangs should fit in with what the local Thais are doing.  All around here are wearing masks, therefore so do I.   Its a  matter of respect. 

Agree totally.

Go by the basic  -- If Thais are masked show good manners and wear a mask.

We may  be back wearing masks compulsorily soon.

โรงเรียนสตรีวิทยา (satriwit.ac.th)

Satriwit School in Bangkok closed for Covid and Online learning back.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

23 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

Both. You are doing yourself, and the rest of us, no favours by ignoring the the local  trend. If the local Thais are wearing them, so should you,  or you just come across as yet  one more arrogant farang A hole. 

As I stated, there are also Thai not masked as well or not wearing them properly, so I am not alone in showing my face. If the sole act of exposing my face makes someone believe I am an a hole, then that person must already have a negative perception of foreigners. If it becomes mandatory, then I'll mask up all the time.

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

Utterly utterly spot on - sadly doesn't always work with petulant children.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

When the blind lead the blind, they both fall in the hole.

Masks dont work. Sorry fan bois. Science.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Urdef said:

Science ? Ok give us a few links where scientists, actually no, even better virologists state they don't work....or is this expat forum science ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Urdef said:

Says the king of the blind, huu?

So how explains science  that since people did run around with masks, the flu did not happen in 2020 and 2021?

Oh, wait, science explains that with the masks.

8 minutes ago, Urdef said:

That has got little to nothing to do with this debate.  They do it, you do it, its a simple as that.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

For people speaking English not Thai-  do you consider they're being disrespectful, not doing what the local Thais are doing? 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

That has got little to nothing to do with this debate.  They do it, you do it, its a simple as that.  

Do you wear amulets too?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, rc1 said:

Do you wear amulets too?

Look up the word 'respect'

When entering a temple do you believe your self imposed elevated falang status means you don't have to take your shoes off ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, rc1 said:

For people speaking English not Thai-  do you consider they're being disrespectful, not doing what the local Thais are doing? 

depends on the circumstances, but yes, in many cases.  Obviously one doesnt drive like most Thais do, just to fit in.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, rc1 said:

Do you wear amulets too?

No, that is a religious issue, which to most reasonable thinking people  is clearly a totally different argument.  I don't drive like they do either  

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

No, that is a religious issue, which to most reasonable thinking people  is clearly a totally different argument.  I don't drive like they do either  

You're being selective, you can respect a people, culture or religion without adopting the same behaviours.

Regarding mask wearing in Thailand - it's not a cultural or religious behaviour, it didnt exist pre pandemic. 

It's simply disproportionate and irrational now.  

Showing by example how life can be lived again without a face covering, is respectful. 

• Like 6

. I'm not wearing one at all anywhere I go, and very rarely do I see other people not wearing them. 

If it's not mandatory, I'm not wearing it. It's as simple as that. 

Had no experience of bad looks or anything like that, and I've interacted with loads of people, markets, shops, malls etc. 

I think most people are just wearing them because everyone else is, if more people stopped wearing them it would snowball. 

One durian vendor told me he didn't care about the mask, but only wore it because he thought some customers might be scared. I expect it's a common thing. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Pinetree said:

As I have found, when it comes to work, there are employers and employees. You are obviously an employee. If the latest trend was to wear your underpants on your head, would you follow that as well? It seems that they need to be led out of their stupidity, So it’s a case of monkey see, monkey do. Several people I know have had enough of it. They are booking trips to Vietnam.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Cg66 said:

As I have found, when it comes to work, there are employers and employees. You are obviously an employee. If the latest trend was to wear your underpants on your head, would you follow that as well? It seems that they need to be led out of their stupidity, So it’s a case of monkey see, monkey do. Several people I know have had enough of it. They are booking trips to Vietnam.

an idiotic post. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Pinetree said:

I disagree

I wore masks indoors at all times, and if a particular area outside was congested, I would put my mask on out of respect

But scientifically, you have very little chance of catching covid outside

If it is not crowded outside, there is no reason to wear a mask and just because Thais go overboard with it, doesn't mean I/you have to

If I am in a market and the vendor is wearing a mask, I put one on to speak to them

Basically If a worker has to wear a mask, I will wear a mask as well

You can be respectful while also being sensible...............

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Pinetree said:

utter nonsense.  respect is mutual.  i dont expect foreigners who visit my home town to adapt all the customs especially if it contradicts their own.  i have a feeling that this rule of yours only applies to the thai customs you agree with.  

• Like 6

Just now, MrNovax said:

utter nonsense.  respect is mutual.  i dont expect foreigners who visit my home town to adapt all the customs especially if it contradicts their own.  i have a feeling that this rule of yours only applies to the thai customs you agree with.  

Come on though.........mask wearing isn't just a 'custom"

Just a ridiculous comparison....................

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Petey said:

I am in Udon Thani. I stopped wearing a mask in all but government offices and crowded markets. I've not heen told by anyone to mask-up, and I can't say for certain if the looks I receive are due to not masking or just being foreign. Most people here are masked at all times, though a good portion of the masked folks have their nose out or the mask is resting on their chin providing no protection.