AirAsiaX may be returning to Australian and NZ destinations later this year

KaptainRob

AirAsia X, the medium to long-haul affiliate airline of AirAsia Aviation Group, is launching flights to Auckland, New Zealand, via Australia. The announcement is the latest from the Kuala Lumpur International (KUL) based airline, which will offer seats to several new destinations as it returns from a significant restructuring.

The Malaysian airline resumed operations earlier this year and currently serves Seoul and New Delhi from its base in Kuala Lumpur.

image.png.44a72b365935302d1a486511c2f7751a.png

AirAsia X CEO Benyamin Ismail has confirmed that the carrier aims to restart flights to Australian destinations Melbourne and Perth, as well as a route to Auckland, New Zealand, via Australia.

Adding a round-trip leg to New Zealand from Australia is quite a common practice. The flights are able to use fifth-freedom rights to carry on to New Zealand as opposed to parking the plane at an Australian airport for the day. Qatar Airways, for instance, flies to Auckland via Adelaide on one of the OneWorld carrier's Boeing 777-300ERs. AirAsia X did not mention which airport would see the stopover service carry on to New Zealand.

Read the full article HERE> https://simpleflying.com/airasia-x-new-zealand-return/

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, palooka said:

Hanging out for the BKK to BRS flights to resume.  No one seems interested in Brisbane yet.

That use to be operated by the Thai AAX company and was my favourite entry or transit point.  I avoid SYD like the plague.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, KaptainRob said:

That use to be operated by the Thai AAX company and was my favourite entry or transit point.  I avoid SYD like the plague.

Used Gold Coast also many times, fast deplane and customs etc, carry on only, 15 minutes to taxi.

6 minutes ago, palooka said:

Used Gold Coast also many times, fast deplane and customs etc, carry on only, 15 minutes to taxi.

That was a busy route in the early days of Malaysian AAX and we enjoyed a number of flights thru to AKL until they canned it.  I found BNE deplaning to be almost as fast and I could often be out onto the Gold Coast train within 30 mins of landing .... the trip to Helensvale took forever, over hour usually, wifi made it acceptable.

• Like 1