News Forum - Brazilian student arrested in Bali for smuggling cannabis from Thailand

Thaiger

A Brazilian man who was arrested for smuggling 9.1 grams of cannabis from Thailand into Bali last week says he “didn’t know” that the plant is illegal in Indonesia. His arrest came just days after the Royal Thai Embassy in Jakarta warned the people of Thailand against taking cannabis into Indonesia, where they could face harsh penalties – or even the death penalty – for smuggling the drug into the island nation. In Thailand, cannabis was recently decriminalised and all parts of the marijuana plant were delisted as an Category 5 illicit narcotic. Now, cannabis is readily available to buy […]

The story Brazilian student arrested in Bali for smuggling cannabis from Thailand as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Haha 1

I call porkies on the I did know you could not take any drugs including cannabis into Bali/ Indonesia as it is widely known worldwide that they have the strictest drug laws.

• Like 9

Well he's screwed. Whether you agree with the laws of another country or not, you have to live by them or not go there. As for saying that he didn't know it was illegal, not sure I'm buying that. Hopefully the Indonesian courts will go easy (ish) on him, but I won't be standing on one leg and holding my breath.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Jafagreg said:

Hopefully the Indonesian courts will go easy (ish) on him, but I won't be standing on one leg and holding my breath 

Unlikely. In fact they might see this as the perfect use case to make there point about their concerns with Thailand's recent liberalization 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Boddown said:

I call porkies on the I did know you could not take any drugs including cannabis into Bali/ Indonesia as it is widely known worldwide that they have the strictest drug laws.

Add Vietnam, Japan, China, and Malaysia to that list. And that's just the countries in SE Asia that are severely strict on drug smuggling. 

• Like 3

It’s just not worth it. I’m sure he could have found it there if he tried. Stupidity is not a get out of trouble ticket. What a waste of your life. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Thaiger said:

A Brazilian man who was arrested for smuggling 9.1 grams of cannabis from Thailand into Bali last week says he “didn’t know” that the plant is illegal in Indonesia.

Yeah, because that just got changed lately.

Oh, wait, no, death sentence is on there for a while.

Dummy!

• Haha 1

Good luck to the Brazilian student. Looks like he will graduate his  Bachelor, post-grade and PHD in Bali behind bars. 

• Haha 1

All though the sentence that awaits him will probably be to harsh for the "crime", I do think that he was well aware of the fact that importing any drugs into Indonesia, no matter how small the quantity, carries extreme penalties. I think he probably should better admit that he was aware that fact in court as I think honesty might be better alternative under the circumstances.

25 years old student from Brazil and smuggling  dope? I expect the student   occupation is cover for  the intended activity.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Blogosopher said:

At 25, the ignorance plea doesn't work.

Umm... the word 'student' is included here. Doesn't that negate any use of brain function?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

I’m sure he could have found it there if he tried.

Evidently you had to beat the ganja touts off with a stick pre-woohoo phloo, so I would suspect they are back and thick as thieves now Bali is open again

2 hours ago, RJBT said:

I have no sympathy for him

Let him do his "time" there and contemplate  his crimes while relaxing in Jail

Wonderful subject for a thesis :)

12 minutes ago, Viggen8408 said:

Evidently you had to beat the ganja touts off with a stick pre-woohoo phloo, so I would suspect they are back and thick as thieves now Bali is open again

You can get most things anywhere you go if you really want them. Most things that is. Just not worth taking a risk carrying anything liek this kid did. Take the risk then be ready to pay the price if caught. Although for such a small amount he had and the price he will pay is ridiculous.

45 minutes ago, Viggen8408 said:

Many years ago, we were sat on kuta beach enjoying a few beers at sunset and this guy sat next to us and was very insistent that we buy drugs, telling him what a good time we'll have, we declined many times and he tried to bully us for a good 15 minutes, turned out he was an undercover cop

• Like 2

9 grams sounds like just a personal stash.

Stupid to carry it yes.

Make him pay a big fine, permaban from Indonesia, and send him back where he came from with a stern warning about doing stupid things like carrying extremely aromatic drugs in to a foreign country...

This doesn't warrant extended jail time imho..or lock him up for media and quietly do the above after his lawyers show up.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Raugh said:

9 grams sounds like just a personal stash.

Stupid to carry it yes.

Make him pay a big fine, permaban from Indonesia, and send him back where he came from with a stern warning about doing stupid things like carrying extremely aromatic drugs in to a foreign country...

This doesn't warrant extended jail time imho..or lock him up for media and quietly do the above after his lawyers show up.

Part of a deterrent is for the criminal to experience the serenity of a Bali prison!

They broke the law he must pay their price so to speak! 
Lesson to be learned especially for the purple hair nose ringer’s! Mom and dad aren’t gonna save you this time

On 7/5/2022 at 1:52 PM, Cabra said:

Unlikely. In fact they might see this as the perfect use case to make there point about their concerns with Thailand's recent liberalization 

Thailand may use this case to highlight the warnings for their own people: "Don't travel with weed out of Thailand". I think, this way they have a chance, to get it. Don't they?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, riclag said:

Mom and dad aren’t gonna save you this time

Some idiot smuggled hash oil into Russia. Sleepy Joe is gonna save her.

10 minutes ago, Fanta said:

Some idiot smuggled hash oil into Russia. Sleepy Joe is gonna save her.

Hopefully she’ll  say UNCLE and stop taking the knee as a prerequisite!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1