60 day tourist visa

samiam123

Last time I did it a few years ago, before the eVisa website, it was fairly straight forward.  Even though doing it online simplifies some things, they are now asking for bank statements and confirmed accommodation complete with contact info.  How much of that is necessary and how much is just over asking for stuff and approving it anyways?

Asking on various forums, some guys claim they got away with just providing a confirmed reservation for the first night in Thailand.  Some suggest that what is acceptable will vary by what consulate you go through. Although the 60 day tourist visa is all done through the eVisa website now, the visa processing is apparently still being done through the local consulates/embassies depending where you are located, so open to interpretation from one consulate/embassy to the next.

I am looking for more clarity from anyone who has gone through it so that I can get a better idea what I should do.

Edited by samiam123

31 minutes ago, samiam123 said:

I am looking for more clarity from anyone who has gone through it so that I can get a better idea what I should do.

The only way to be certain is to contact the Thai Embassy that would approve your application.
If it's your intention to tour at leisure, with no fixed timeline to stay in one place, then state so and ask if just a one night booking is sufficient.

17 minutes ago, Faz said:

The only way to be certain is to contact the Thai Embassy that would approve your application.
If it's your intention to tour at leisure, with no fixed timeline to stay in one place, then state so and ask if just a one night booking is sufficient.

I did contact them and I am still waiting for a reply.  Now I am asking here.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, samiam123 said:

I did contact them and I am still waiting for a reply.  Now I am asking here.

It might help members if you state which Embassy you're applying at, as different Embassies have different requirement. You always have the option to enter Visa exempt, which negates any Embassy requirements.

• Like 1

Last time I got the 60 day visa.I printed the application,filled it in,copy of my airline ticket,1or 2 passport photos,passport.dropped it all off at the Amsterdam consulate picked it up 3 days later.The bank account details were only for business visas and long term visas.For a tourist visa they didn't need all that.

17 hours ago, Faz said:

It might help members if you state which Embassy you're applying at, as different Embassies have different requirement. You always have the option to enter Visa exempt, which negates any Embassy requirements.

I am aware of that. 

I can select to have it go through the Vancouver consulate or the Ottawa Embassy. The Vancouver consulate just says "proof of accommodation" which makes it about clear as mud.

Edited by samiam123

So as expected the Thai consulate hasn't bothered to get back to me.  Trying to get any info out of them will probably end up just being a waste of my time.  I'll probably try give them a call but I don't expect to get much useful info. 

I guess I'll just have to go with the visa waiver and deal with the hassle of extending in country and rebooking flights or whatever.  Such a shame they couldn't keep things as simple as before.  They may as well just do away with the 60 day.  I doubt many people are bothering with those now with all these extra requirements and unknowns.

Edited by samiam123

On 6/20/2022 at 6:58 PM, Faz said:

Just provide proof of a 1 night stay in a hotel.
That was the only requirement under the T & G scheme.

T&G and the tourist visa are two completely separate things. 

Edited by samiam123

On 6/19/2022 at 10:22 PM, yselmike said:

Last time I got the 60 day visa.I printed the application,filled it in,copy of my airline ticket,1or 2 passport photos,passport.dropped it all off at the Amsterdam consulate picked it up 3 days later.The bank account details were only for business visas and long term visas.For a tourist visa they didn't need all that.

That was before.  I did the same thing last time.  After they changed it to an eVisa that you apply for online they started asking for more stuff.  You don't need to drop off anything or send it by snail mail anymore but they still managed to make it more of a hassle now despite that.

Edited by samiam123

1 hour ago, samiam123 said:

That was before.  I did the same thing last time.  After they changed it to an eVisa that you apply for online they started asking for more stuff.  You don't need to drop off anything or send it by snail mail anymore but they still managed to make it more of a hassle now despite that.

I went online to check what was going on just in case I needed the 60 day visa.Looks like the Amsterdam consulate is no more.Got the E-visa link from this forum and I won't be staying in Thailand for more than 29 nights anymore.I hope they simplify the 60 day visa in future but I won't hold my breath.I try not to slag off Thailand but visiting the visa site was a serious WTF moment.

7 minutes ago, yselmike said:

I went online to check what was going on just in case I needed the 60 day visa.Looks like the Amsterdam consulate is no more.Got the E-visa link from this forum and I won't be staying in Thailand for more than 29 nights anymore.I hope they simplify the 60 day visa in future but I won't hold my breath.I try not to slag off Thailand but visiting the visa site was a serious WTF moment.

I finally heard from my local consulate in Vancouver.  They said that a reservation for just my first 2 nights is acceptable, so the 60 day visa will probably work for me.  I specifically asked about 2 nights so even just one night might work.

Edited by samiam123

7 hours ago, samiam123 said:

I finally heard from my local consulate in Vancouver.  They said that a reservation for just my first 2 nights is acceptable, so the 60 day visa will probably work for me.  I specifically asked about 2 nights so even just one night might work.

Another problem for me is the amount of Data that they require.I have to give them my banking details? Credit card? Passport with all of it's details.Its an identity theft wet dream.

On 6/22/2022 at 6:20 PM, yselmike said:

Another problem for me is the amount of Data that they require.I have to give them my banking details? Credit card? Passport with all of it's details.Its an identity theft wet dream.

Still better than having to send my passport in the mail with a pre-paid return courier envelope, so glad they joined the 21st century on that. 

The banking details thing is kind of stupid.  If we can afford a plane ticket we can obviously afford to go there.  Do they think we are paying $2000 on a plane ticket to go there and be homeless and beg for money or something? 😒

Edited by samiam123

• 2 months later...

Going through the same hassel.

We used to have a consulate in town that would bang it out in 3 days, zero hassle.

Now im being told my application will take 6 weeks, isnt guarenteed, and they wanted all sorts of rediculous documents. 

They turned down my pay stub with year to date earnings, and instead demanded a bank statement. They turned down my 2 month long accomodation booking invoice because it didnt have my name, just my reference number. Feel like im being treated like a criminal. Yet all i hear is how they need tourism dollars..... Not impressed. 

On 6/22/2022 at 10:18 AM, samiam123 said:

1 Night is sufficient 

I did my e-visa in Vancouver as well and just put my 1st night stay 

• Like 1