News Forum - Phuket teens promised cash prizes for anti-drug slogans

Thaiger

Cash prizes might be a new way to motivate Phuket’s youngsters to stay off drugs- or at least act like they’re staying off drugs. Teens and pre-teens in Phuket’s Kathu district have been invited to compete for the best anti-drug slogan. The grand prize winner who comes up with the best slogan will receive 10,000 baht in cash and a voucher for accomodation and food at Patong Bay Resort Hotel worth 5,000 baht. The first runner up will receive 5,000 baht in cash, and the same voucher for Patong Bay Resort Hotel. The second runner up will receive 2,500 baht […]

The story Phuket teens promised cash prizes for anti-drug slogans as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 1

Nancy Reagan... "Just say No" 🤣 that's an oldie but a goodie. And just remember kids, you just need to "act like you are staying off drugs" 🤣 Honestly, I hope the kids do stay off drugs. There is plenty of time when you are adults to screw up your life. 

41 minutes ago, Shade_Wilder said:

'Only virgins smoke weed'

18 months later... (UPDATE) after a successful anti-drug campaign based on the "only virgins smoke weed" slogan, Phuket teens are now being asking to devise a new campaign slogan to deal with the spike in unplanned pregnancies. 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 3

"Don't be a caveman like Fred Flintstone, and don't dabble in yaba.. Yabba dabba don't!!! Beacuse a dab of Yaba can kill you" 🤣🤣🤣

You may be a Brit or even a Swede. But whatever you are just keep off the weed. Go for a run, a climb or a hike, better still get on your bike. You know it makes sense so leave it alone, or you might end up like ex pot heads on here and constantly moan. 🚬😃

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Cabra said:

"Don't be a caveman like Fred Flintstone, and don't dabble in yaba.. Yabba dabba don't!!! Beacuse a dab of Yaba can kill you" 🤣🤣🤣

Yaba daba don't is actually a genius slogan. If I were you, I'd post it along with some funny drawing of the Flintstones and claim my prize 😂

• Thanks 1

"Hitler did drugs. Don't be like Hitler".

I have no interest in going to Patong so does anyone want to buy my ticket after I win?

2 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

Don't do illegal drugs in Thailand, it takes away money from Thai pharma share holders

Not very catchy that slogan :P

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Cabra said:

Cute, but nonsense. Addicts are born, not made. It's in the person, not the potion. And the sooner the world gets with the science, the better off communities will be. 

6 minutes ago, Venusianhart said:

Cute, but nonsense. Addicts are born, not made. It's in the person, not the potion. And the sooner the world gets with the science, the better off communities will be. 

Sooooo as a tobacco smoker you is saying I am a victim here?

This means I can smoke wherever I want?

I am a minority group remember. 

29 minutes ago, Venusianhart said:

Lighten up Francis... 🤣🤣🤣 It was tongue in cheek play on an old cartoon character and his catch phrase. 

38 minutes ago, Venusianhart said:

"Getting on with science" got me thinking... 

Science has found correlations between particular genetic aspects and "undesirable effects" such as addiction, depression, sociopathy etc. Likewise, it has found correlations with "desirable effects" such as health, strength, intelligence etc.

Are you advocating eugenics to better communities? (I'm not judging, just wondering.) Or is the betterment about a general recognition of the causes based on scientific claims? (If so, how does that help whole communities?)

47 minutes ago, Chatogaster said:

"Getting on with science" got me thinking... 

Science has found correlations between particular genetic aspects and "undesirable effects" such as addiction, depression, sociopathy etc. Likewise, it has found correlations with "desirable effects" such as health, strength, intelligence etc.

Are you advocating eugenics to better communities? (I'm not judging, just wondering.) Or is the betterment about a general recognition of the causes based on scientific claims? (If so, how does that help whole communities?)

Addiction is in people, not substances. Ergo, criminalising chemistry is misguided and futile. To effectively control something one must distribute it, not merely proscribe it.

Because society fails to distribute safe, clean, measured doses of other hard and soft drugs, criminality obliges, and handsomely profits, with no regard to sensible education or restrictions, and checks and balances, as we do see with the control and distribution of the legalised drug, ethyl alcohol. 

The taxes on alcohol can more than cover the cost of alcoholisim, which occurs in around 3% of drinkers; other substances have exactly the same addiction percentile, thus the true drug "problem" is minute compared to global useage.

The taxes levied on all hard drug use could alleviate addiction issues, and pay for mental health programs and other social behefits to prevent people turning to drugs in despair, rather than just recreationally, As it is we pour billions into harassing and criminalising people who simply prefer drugs other than booze to escape, and even more inhumanely, persecute the lost, who may be on skid row for something as blameless as combat related PTSD, and at the same time, this policy engorges an evil monster that reaps billions in criminal supply.

Prohibition is an extortionate law and order failure and needs to end.

Edited by Venusianhart

1 hour ago, Venusianhart said:

Because society fails to distribute safe, clean, measured doses of other hard and soft drugs, criminality obliges, and handsomely profits, with no regard to sensible education or restrictions, and checks and balances, as we do see with the control and distribution of the legalised drug, ethyl alcohol. 

There are many countries that have so called 'shooting galleries' where chronic heroin addicts are given pharmaceutical diamorphine.

There are also many treatment centres which offer alternative prescribing, counseling, & education.

Additionally, there are detox clinics - private & government funded.

Examples:

https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/addiction-support/drug-addiction-getting-help/

https://addictionsuk.com/our-services/uk-home-detox-programme/

https://www.nhs.uk/medicines/methadone/

28 minutes ago, Faraday said:

There are many countries that have so called 'shooting galleries' where chronic heroin addicts are given pharmaceutical diamorphine.

There are also many treatment centres which offer alternative prescribing, counseling, & education.

Additionally, there are detox clinics - private & government funded.

Examples:

https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/addiction-support/drug-addiction-getting-help/

https://addictionsuk.com/our-services/uk-home-detox-programme/

https://www.nhs.uk/medicines/methadone/

When the WHO end the war on drugs, then we will be getting somewhere. These centres faced ferocious resistance, all sorts of nonsense about slippery slopes and encouraging drug use.

Theres no addict alive who will tell you they got on smack because their city opened a shooting gallery!

People just dont see the rank hypocrysy of laddishly comical commercials about beer vs the manufactured horror with which heroin is viewed, the whole seedy needles in toilets thing came about through the war on drugs! 

Queen Victoria smoked hers! She led an Empire, and lived a long busy life. 

Also, why dont we have free bars for winos to get their fix in?

Because more alcohol in any quantity will surely kill them, going cold turkey can kill them too, not so with heroin!

But to everyones amazement, more heroin (or substitutes) provided in a controlled and clean dose will NOT ever kill the user. 

Thus, we should have all drugs available to buy in clean measured doses.

Because if we can trust the public not to drink two bottles of glamourous Absolut vodka and kill themselves, then we can trust the same public to take pharma grade doses of heroin and meth and anything else, and not kill themselves either!

You cannot escape this logic. If I buy and drink enough legal booze tonight I will not wake up tomorrow. Why are any other drugs logically not treated any differently by the state? 

Edited by Venusianhart

13 minutes ago, Venusianhart said:

Also, why dont we have free bars for winos to get their fix in?

Because more alcohol in any quantity will surely kill them, going cold turkey can kill them too, not so with heroin!

But to everyones amazement, more heroin (or substitutes) provided in a controlled and clean dose will NOT ever kill the user. 

Thus, we should have all drugs available to buy in clean measured doses.

Because if we can trust the public not to drink two bottles of glamourous Absolut vodka and kill themselves, then we can trust the same public to take pharma grade doses of heroin and meth and anything else, and not kill themselves either!

You cannot escape this logic. If I buy and drink enough legal booze tonight I will not wake up tomorrow. Why are any other drugs logically not treated any differently by the state? 

The war on drugs is futile. On this we can agree. Seems Portugal has already taken the approach you are promoting (e.g., decriminalizing all drugs). Regulating all drugs within a legal framework is indeed a nobel goal, this too I can also agree. I'm just not sure it's 100% possible. Even today, California struggles to cope with the illegal marijuana grow operations even though weed is legal. How can you expect all drugs, especially synthetic drugs, to so easy fall into these regulated legal frameworks. Let see if Portugal has more success, and if it can be replicated.